6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 9:38 AM by [Jongware]

Script to Create Image on the Fore Edge of a Book

airkite1061

Hello,

Here is an example of what I want to do:

http://blog.eyemagazine.com/?p=149

If you bend the pages of book, you can see an image (which is a word) on the fore edge of a book.

I was wondering if there is a script or if I could create a script that would be able to make this in indesign?

I have never made a script before, but I was imagining that it could go something like this:

Duplicate an image

Paste in place on the next page

Select the content inside the frame

Move the image x distance

And repeat all above for the next page.

then there would be an option for how many pages this would be done.

Does this sound at all possible, or am I just making this completely up?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Script to Create Image on the Fore Edge of a Book
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

We had a book printed that we didn't design ourselves, and it had this as well. Quite the surprise. Since then I've been thinking of doing it myself. Yup -- as you describe.

The only problem I foresee is a technical one, unrelated to InDesign. The vertical sliver of image per page has to be pretty thin, and on the VERY edge of the pages. Printing on offset is pretty accurate (well within the tolerance of about 1 mm you would be talking about), but binding is something else. I've see deviations after binding of well over 1 mm, all of up, down, and sideways. If you have a book with those gray chapter tabs at the outside of the pages to help locating a certain chapter, you can probably see how much it might deviate.

• 2. Re: Script to Create Image on the Fore Edge of a Book
            airkite1061 Level 1

But the book that you printed worked out alright? Was it done with a different method?

• 3. Re: Script to Create Image on the Fore Edge of a Book
              John Hawkinson Level 5

The only problem I foresee is a technical one, unrelated to InDesign. The vertical sliver of image per page has to be pretty thin, and on the VERY edge of the pages.

That's not quite true. It is a bleed, like any other. It can be arbitrarily wide. (And you could work it in to the page design.)

The wider the sliver, the more noticable it will be to readers of the book looking at the page. But that's OK, it is a tradeoff. So determine your binding allowance first. Also, remember that it's possibly to miss a few and have the image still look mostly OK. Though I suppose they are likely to shift in entire signatures, so that may be problematic.

Also, your binder may be able to adjust some of this when binding. That is, if they know they have a high-precision job, they may be able to take measures that aren't normally necessary. I don't know, I'm not a printer, but it's at least worth thinking about.

• 4. Re: Script to Create Image on the Fore Edge of a Book

John, it is ssome sort of a bleed, but in this case it's not the part that 'might be cut off' that matters; it's the part that still needs to be on the page. Yes, I meant it to be (virtually) not-noticeable for the casual reader. Of course you can make it part of the page design, that ought to ease up matters.

The amount pages shift horizontally because of binding is called "creep", and this depends on the type of binding and the thickness of the paper. You cannot adjust for creep unless you know exactly how much this is and how your book is going to be printed and bound.

Airkite:

But the book that you printed worked out alright? Was it done with a different method?

This was a simple outlined text, not an image. Through the inaccuracies of printing and binding combined, there were no straight edges *anywhere* but fortunately the lines were thick enough to let you mentally connect them

This was done (I'm sure) with the method you proposed.

There is an alternative way, but it's way more expensive (on the other hand, the result is impressive): after the entire process of printing, binding, and cutting, books are put in a clamp one at a time and fed through a silk screen printer, fore edge on top, and printed with whatever you like.

I know of the existance of this technique but I haven't seen a book done like this in years and have no clue at all of the costs involved (writing that down in one sentence makes me realize those two might be connected).

• 5. Re: Script to Create Image on the Fore Edge of a Book
                  airkite1061 Level 1

Thank you Jongware.

Yeah, I've seen it printed that way but didn't know it was silkscreen. Would love to research that more.

-----

So, I think I can probably figure most of the script out, but what would be the command to select the content and move it, but not the frame?

• 6. Re: Script to Create Image on the Fore Edge of a Book

Hint: Just as in the user interface, the frame and its contents are two separate things!