2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 3:46 PM by [Jongware]

    Running Head problem: Text variables, many masters, membership directory (Country, Province, State)

    vazrick2

      We are working on an international Membership Directory with over 250 pages.  For the purposes of this question, I will refer to these "section tabs" as the black filled box at left and right margins with text color paper that are created from master pages with text variables based on running headers.

       

      We've set up essentially 3 multiple master pages just for this portion of the directory with text frames that have text variables within section tabs (black boxes that print with reverse type at the 90 degree along the outside margins) with these possible options....

      • "Country"  or  "Country - Country"
      • "Country, Province" in the case of Canada   or  "Brazil - Canada, Alberta"   or  "Canada, British Columbia"    or   "Canada, British Columbia - New Brunswick"   ...as the case may be.
      • or in the case of USA, "USA, State"   or   "USA, State - State"   ...as the case may be

       

      Sections include Foreign, Foreign/Canada-only, and USA.

       

      Countries are identified Heading 1 (within the body)

      Provinces and states are Heading 2 (within the body)

       

      PAGE 1:  For the Foreign section, the first printed section marker or colored tab (left page) shows "Argentina - Australia" as it should.

       

      PAGE 2:  The second page of the Foreign section, shows "Austria - Brazil" as it should.

       

      PAGE 3:  However, on page 3 Canada begins, but not before the last parts of Brazil from page 2.  Currently page 3 shows "Canada, Alberta - Alberta" what we'd like to see is:  "Brazil - Canada, Alberta"

       

      Pertinent Notes: 

      • All Foreign (but not Canada) use Text Variables called Country(first) and Country(last) which are based on Heading 1.  If a page goes from Same Country to Same Country, then we do NOT want it repeated in this fashion:  "Country - Country"  but just "Country"
      • Canada uses Text Variables Country(first), Province(first), and Province(last) with a dash between the provinces.
      • USA uses the manually entered "USA," followed by Text Variables Sate(first), and State(last) with a dash in between the variables.

       

      The problem we are running in to is where for example the first instance of the use of Heading 1 in the Canada section, that page includes content with regions that fall under Brazil.

       

      Page three should print a section tab along the left that reads:  "Brazil - Canada, Alberta"  ...remember, only Canada identifies any province.

       

      PAGE 4:  With our current setup, page 4 reads "Canada, British Columbia - British Columbia."  However, we'd like it to continue from what subset region or province was last shown on page three, thus should read:  "Canada, Alberta - British Columbia"

       

      Hopefully this example illustrates the problem.  As of right now, I'm thinking GREP might somehow come in to play, but I don't know GREP.  Otherwise, the only other option I see is manually editing the section tabs on each page as necessary upon final review ONLY after flowing all pages and ensuring proper masters are applied.

        • 1. Re: Running Head problem: Text variables, many masters, membership directory (Country, Province, State)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

          If I followed this fully, what you are seeing is expected behavior when a style falls part way down a page. The only way to work around it is to cheat.

           

          Add a frame at the top left corner of the page and set it to non-printing in the attributes panel, then add another instance of your Brazil heading. You might even want to add a local override to the style to make it red so it stands out on the page to remind you that it's a special feature you need to keep track of.

          • 2. Re: Running Head problem: Text variables, many masters, membership directory (Country, Province, State)
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

            Last time I had do to something similar -- a dictionary --, I did a similar trick.

            Dictionary entries themselves were in a unique character style, so I could use these for the headers. However, if an entry started not at the top line, the publisher requested for the *previous* entry to appear at the top.

             

            No sweat. I copied each dictionary entry to the end of the last line of its full description, in that same character style. Then I set its width to 1%, size to 1 pt, and color to [None]. If that entry partly ran over to a new page, this was "the fist occurrence" of that character style and so it appeared in the header. If the entry ended at the bottom of the page, the next one appeared at the top of the next page; and in that case the *visible* entry was picked up for the header.

             

            Disadvantages: boy is that a slow document. And I have to take care to also change the invisible entry if there is a change in the visible part.

            Advantage: no matter how the text reflows, the headers will always be correct.

             

            Probable Disadvantage for the OP (but not for me!): you need to write a custom script for such a thing, lest you go mad with manually copying/pasting/applying overrides.