4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 8:48 PM by theorem604

Scale and replace

theorem604

Not sure if the title of this is all that accurate, but here's my question:

I have created a short video loop for a client consisting of 5 different scenes of animated material. I created each of these scenes in Photoshop at 720p, and the client now wants a 1080p version as well. I have collected the files into a seperate folder for the 1080 project and gone back to Photoshop and scaled everything up and replaced all the images. Basically I now have an exact duplicate of the original in the higher resolution - same layer names and everything. So now when I open the 1080 project it does replace everything with the new, higher resolution images, but the placement is totally off. I get it, I understand it is using the original spacial data from the 720 comps, but I am wondering if there is a better way to do this where basically I dont need to even mess with the placement of objects, just replace the files.

Anyone have any ideas?

• 1. Re: Scale and replace
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's a script and the scripts folder to scale compositions.

• 2. Re: Scale and replace
            theorem604 Level 1

Well, that doesnt really solve the problem. The footage now looks bad (as it should since it is being scaled up)

The thing I am wondering is how I can scale up the footage in Photoshop and then reimport it at the new size while still having all my animation look the same. After a lot of tinkering I believe there simply is no way of doing this since the spacial data will be different (in the 720 comp an object is placed at a certain pixel location that will not be automatically changed when going into a new comp size)

I guess the only way would be if After Effects supported Photoshop Smart Objects, but apparently it does not. Or if I had you know, built this in 1080 FIRST and then just scaled down, but I did not do that.

Anyways, thanks for the help

• 3. Re: Scale and replace
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your psd's are vector smart objects then resize the psd's after you run the s ale comp script.  The scale comp script will adjust all of the motion correctly. Make sure that you run it on the pre comps as well.

Just resizing a comp won't work but the script will as long as the source footage is large enough. 

File>scripts>scale composition or demo panel.  (names may be off a bit. I'm posting from a phone)

• 4. Re: Scale and replace
                theorem604 Level 1

Awesome, I'll have to give that a shot! Thanks!