6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 5:35 AM by JEShort01

Harddrive Transfer Rate question

MM2004 Level 1

I installed an Areca 1882iX card, and Im getting very good transfer rates out my RAID 0 configs.

I was troubleshooting an issue with Areca support and they asked me "what are the Transfer Rate requirements for your application?

I guess they meant how far Premier Pro will push the Harddrives.

How do I calculate that? I work with Canon 7D footage in 1080p.

I guess it will be different from the Media folder than from the scratch disks,, what is the proper way of calculating how fast I need Harddrives to be?

Manny

• 1. Re: Harddrive Transfer Rate question
          wonderspark Level 1

I'm editing 5D and 7D 1080p footage in CS5.0.4 in a feature-length movie right now, and my timeline runs six video layers with effects on one or two layers at most. It plays back in real time perfectly smooth without rendering any footage at all... here are my specs and transfer rates:

2009 Mac Pro with 2010 firmware update and 3.33GHz 6-core CPU

32GB RAM @ 1333MHz

ATI Radeon HD 5870 GPU

Areca 1880ix-12 with two mini-SAS connections to 8-bay RAID6 of WD 2TB RE-4 disks: sustained 816MB/sec write, 714MB/sec read.

Internal AID-0 of two Hitachi 1TB disks for scratch files: sustained 215MB/second.

Crucial M4 256GB SSD boot drive on SATA II bus: sustained 230MB/sec write, 266MB/sec read. (Note: Video performance was identical with a normal HDD for boot disk with only 96MB/sec sustained speeds.)

Backups on individual disks via eSATA and USB 3.0 PCI card.

I bolded the RAID on the Areca where my media resides. The non-CUDA card works great in software only mode for MPE. I have a GTX285 as well, but it's slightly slower in After Effects which I use the most, so I took it out a long time ago. I hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Harddrive Transfer Rate question
            MM2004 Level 1

Wonderful information.

How do you measured the transfer rates? with benchmark software or during the actual timeline playback?

Manny

• 3. Re: Harddrive Transfer Rate question
              JEShort01 Level 4

I would say that you "need" around 200MB/s, and more is always better.

My favorite HD throughput test tool is HD Tune Pro; set the Transfer rate settings to Partial Test, slider to "Accurate", and Block size = 2MB.

Jim

• 4. Re: Harddrive Transfer Rate question
                MM2004 Level 1

Jim,, I changed the setting as pero your suggestion.

This is what my HD Pro shows on my scrach disk:

ScratchDisk.png

But on my Media Files disk it shows this:

MediaFiles.png

I think I need to move my media files somewhere else, because the Playback on the Timeline (using my CUDA card) is being sloppy,, I guess the playback reads directly from the Media disk,, the scratch is only used after I 'render' pieces on the timeline,, right?

Manny

• 5. Re: Harddrive Transfer Rate question
                  wonderspark Level 1

Yes, measured using AJA System Test disk speed test. I'm on a Mac, so I can't use HD Tune. Wish they made a Mac version. Instead, I choose the biggest test I can with cache disabled.

I have my disks set up the reverse of yours, in that my media and previews are on my fast array, and the other cache scratch files are on the slower scratch array. I've actually been debating on putting all my scratch files on the faster array. It's 12TB, of which I have 8.45TB free...

• 6. Re: Harddrive Transfer Rate question
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Manny,

You Areca RAID 0 is working well. In fact, so well that I would suggest converting it to a RAID 5; it would be "one drive" slower, but you would gain redundancy.

Then, whether you change to RAID 5 or not, I would suggest putting all files except media cache and media cache DB onto your Areca array. Then, use the Seagate for media cache, media cache DB, and render outputs.

Regards,

Jim