12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 11:26 AM by Poor Editer

How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?

Poor Editer

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and want to edit videos that I had received from a company that transferred my Super 8 home videos to digital format and saved them on an external hard drive. They have avi file extension, Apple Motion JPEG A codec , frame size: 1920 x 1080, pixel aspect ratio: 16:9, Frames per second: 29.97. I am not sure what settings to select for the best picture quality. I have tried some and the quality is poor. I need help. Thanks

• 1. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
          Nash_John Level 3

Hey, i would suggest you a simple thing. PrE has got a smart feature where it can itself detect the bast project setting for your project.

Create a new project with any project settings, import your files, now try to drag drop one of your files to timeline.

If you project settings does not match your clip, a 'Project Mismatch' dialog box will come, click Yes on it, now your project settings will be changed automatically to best match your source files.

Also dont go by the quality you see in the monitor while editing. After any type of editing, first render your timeline(using Enter key).

The output is generally of better quality than what you see in the monitor during editing.

• 2. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Motion JPEG videos do not make the best source video for Premiere Elements. In fact, they often don't work well at all.

You don't say what device you used that captured your video in that format, but our recommendation is that, in the future, you use a DV bridge, devices that save your video as editable DV-AVI video.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853

I'm not sure what to tell you about your current video. Trying to convert it to another format might just make your problems worse.

The best solution for converting though would be to purchase the program Quicktime Pro ($29 from Apple.com). It will most likely be able to convert your video to a format Premiere Elements can work with -- and may even be able to do some basic editing of that video.

Unfortunately, though, in your present situation you're working against the grain here. The process is so much simpler when you use a DV bridge to capture your video in the first place.

• 3. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Editer,

You HAVE found the right forum, and John and Steve are on the problem.

Now, with MJPEG footage, I normally recommend this ARTICLE (from the Tips & Tricks sub-forum), but you have a slightly unique problem, in that your footage contains a specific CODEC, the Apple Motion JPEG CODEC.

Are you on a Mac, or a PC?

I do not know if installation of Apple's QT Player also adds the Apple MJPEG CODEC, as it does Apple's H.264 CODEC, and a few more. If it does, then you should have the proper CODEC. I also do not know if Mac's come with Apple's MJPEG CODEC installed. Others will have to answer those questions. I have four MJPEG CODEC's on my PC laptop. One was the MainConcept, that I bought, one installed with my wife's Canon G-10, one installed with her Lumix, and then there is another, that was probably installed from elsewhere. None of mine (I have Apple's QT Pro on the laptop) show up as being from Apple, but that last one might well be

I can edit MJPEG material pretty smoothly (not as smoothly as SD DV-AVI, but still pretty well).

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for telecine work, I have had the 8mm/S-8mm footage digitized to miniDV tape (harder to find telecine houses, that do that now), and just use my Canon video camera, to Capture those tapes over FireWire into Premiere. That works fine.

• 4. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
                Poor Editer Level 1

Thanks to each of you that have replied.  I am going to have to take some time to digest what you have written and try the sugestions out.

I am useing a pc.

Thanks

• 5. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, have you installed the latest version of Apple's QT Player?

Please report if it also installs Apple's MJPEG CODEC, as I will then learn something.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
                    Poor Editer Level 1

I installed Quick Time 7 but don't know how to tell if it installed Apple's MJPEG CODEC.  I have a lot to learn.

Thanks

• 7. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You can open up G-Spot, the great, free utility, and go to Tools in the Toolbar. Choose Video CODEC's, to see what is installed, and who the publisher is.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
                        Poor Editer Level 1

I did not find Apple's MJPEG CODEC in the list but I did find a number of othr ones.

Thanks

• 9. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That might indicate that Apple's QT Player does NOT install the Apple MJPEG CODEC. I would do a Search for that, and see if it is a available for download, or purchase.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
                            VDOSurfer Level 3

What I do know is without QuickTime (not suggested at all) the MJPEG files will not even be imported. And with it, they get imported. So just suggests that to read these files PrE relies on QuickTime. So updating the version of QuickTime or (as I always suggest) going back to a previous working version could help. This though is always a trial and error. If you can upload a file from that set, we can all download it and then try it. One of us is bound to have the right version, and we can quickly let you know of that.

• 11. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

VDOSurfer,

Thanks for sharing those observations.

Though I am less a fan of QT Player, I have the Pro version on all of my machines, though I am still using 7.6.7, after holding on to 7.5.5 for a few years.

I cannot test on a computer without QT Player/Pro, so I appreciate your experiences there.

I also do not get much MJPEG material, and that, which I do work with, comes from either my wife's Canon, or her Lumix, and I have each mfgr's. MJPEG CODEC installed. I have never had any issues, with my very limited experiences, but have found, when working with others' issues, that not all MJPEG CODEC's work with all MJPEG material. Camera mfgrs. love to tweak things, and one ends up having to use their tweaked version, to get things to work.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How do I pick the right settings in PrE 10 for the videos I have?
                                Poor Editer Level 1

I found that after loading Quick Time 7 that my PrE stopped showing me the videos that I was editing.  They appeared to be loaded but all that I could see were the titles that I had added.  I tried to open another new project but was told the settings were wrong and also was told that a codec was not available.

I remember when loading QT, it told me that I file was being used by another applications and it needed to use it.  I think I clicked on OK.

I presume that QT took the codec from PrE.

I restored my computer to what it was before loading QT and all is OK now.

The video quality was no better when I used QT than it was with PrE so I think that some quality was lost when I had the digitization done a few years ago.  Unfortunately, there is about 10 hours of videos so it cost a fair amount of money to have the work done.  I will just have to live with it.

Thanks to all that have responded.