17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 3:18 AM by MGW of Boulder

How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?

jph10526

I have a video that is about 3 hours long and will not fit on a single DVD.  I have attempted to reduce the size of the file (greater than 7.3 GB) by reducing the time line but this does not seem to have any effect.  I went so far as to reduce the time line to nothing and the systemstill told me that I had 7.3 GB which exceed the size of the DVD.  What should I do?

• 1. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's probably too much for even Premiere Elements to compress to a 4.7 gig disc, jph.

You can try reducing it with DVD Shrink, a program available on the web. But even if you can, that's about three times the amount of video as can typically fit on a standard DVD disc, so the quality will be greatly reduced.

You'd be most wise to cut the project in half and do it as two 90-minute discs.

• 2. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

If reducing the Duration of the Timeline is not having an effect, and it certainly should, then you likely have an "Orphan" out beynond where you think the end of the Timeline is. See this ARTICLE for tracking down the Orphan.

For your options to burn a long Duration Timeline (once the Orphans are gone) to DVD, you can handle that two ways:

You can establish a Duration that will fit onto a DVD-9 (~ 8GB)

You can use the WAB (Work Area Bar) to Export/Share 1/2 of your Timeline to DV-AVI. Then, create two SD DV Projects, and Import one of those two files into it. Author with Menus, etc., as necessary, and Burn, then repeat that process with the other output DV-AVI file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
              Ted Smith Level 3

My burner claims to be a dual layer burner although I'm not sure if it only means it can read dual layer DVDs

I have never seen blank dual layer disk on sale

Do they exixts or is it even possible to 'burn' dual layer and thus get 10gb?

• 4. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                jph10526 Level 1

Thanks for the response ... you are spot on!  ... I was able to create a DVD.

• 5. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                  nealeh Level 5

Ted Smith wrote:

I have never seen blank dual layer disk on sale

Do they exixts or is it even possible to 'burn' dual layer and thus get 10gb?

All recent DVD Burners will likely burn dual layer. Blank media is readily available (although it is 8.5GB not ten).

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sugexp=cgsbsh&gs_nf=1&cp=14&gs_id=c&xhr=t&q=dual+layer+dvd

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

Yes, DVD-9's have been around for a very long time, and I use Verbatim DL (DVD-9's) exclusively. They DO cost a bit more, but I buy in bulk, when I find a good price, at a time that I need to replenish my supply. Falcon Pro DL is another highly recommend brand.

Also, all DVD players, with the "DVD" logo on them, must, by certification, be able to play DL (DVD-9) discs, but just like with DVD-5's, the certification is for "replicated," i.e. stamped, commercial discs. No DVD player is certified to play any burned DVD, though the vast majority do. However, I have seen some older players (in my clients' equipment racks), that will handle burned DVD-5's just fine, but balk with any burned DVD-9's. That is just a fact of life. As for DL playability, most Hollywood titles are replicated, i.e. stamped, to DVD-9's. All of my test rigs play a well-burned, high-quality DVD-9, including my "bargain basement" US$ 49 (retail) RCA player.

As for you multi-driver/burner, if it is at all recent, it should handle DVD-9's perfectly fine. The mfgr's. Web site should have the full specs. for it, so it might be worth checking, before buying a spindle, or two.

As for the usable capacity, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#Capacity The actual capacity will be 7.95 GiB (the actual Giga-Byte specification of a computer), though many/most are labled 8.54 GB. That difference is the difference of a base 1000 vs 1024.

I have produced high-quality DVD-9's up to 4 hours runtime. Because of the lowered Bit-Rate, there is a reduction in quality, but without doing a side-by-side comparison, it is almost impossible to see.

Do check that your multi-drive/burner can burn to DVD-9's, and then explore them. I find that they work very well, and save me having to produce a multi-disc set, when the Timeline gets beyond about 120 mins.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Excellent news!

With either DVD-5's, or DVD-9's, the quality of the blank media are very, very important to playability. In my Reply to Ted, I listed two that I recommend. Now, those links are to commercial sites, and you can buy from many sources. I posted those links for the specs./version of the media only. However, one can get an idea of the price range. If buying, I would search the Web for eTailers,who have good service and the best price.

Good luck, and happy authoring,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                        MGW of Boulder Level 1

So, how long of a video can Premiere Elements Burn to Folder (4.7gb)?

PrE was able to write a 105 minute 1080p HD video to a disk folder from which I subsequently made a DVD from using "Image Burn" software.

However, I had a 130 minute 1080p video which PrE was not able to successfully write the rendered media to a disk folder.  The process terminated about 26% through the "write to folder" process.

Premiere Elements 9 running under MS Windows 7 Professional

on Lenovo Laptop with Intel i7-2920XM CPU @ 2.50GHz, 16gb Memory and 150gb spare hard drive space

• 9. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you set PrE to Burn to Folder, chose the 8.54GB DVD-9 setting, and Transcoding quit on you, the first two things that I would check would be how much defragmented free-space I had, and also check the Timeline for problems.

You mention 26%, and as PrE uses a 2-pass Transcode, that would be at about the 50% point on your Timeline. Fifty % is one full pass of the Timeline, and 100% is the completition of the second pass. I would study the Timeline very closely at the 50% point, and see if there is something odd about the Assets there.

Also, one thing that can kill Transcoding is a Stop Marker at the very end of the Timeline, but that usually kills things at the 99% point.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                            MGW of Boulder Level 1

If I "chose the 8.54GM DVD-9 setting", can I later put that on a standard DVD?

I don't believe I have a "Assets" problem at the 50% point of my timeline.  The 105 minute video I mentioned is actally the 130 minute video with scenes removed from the end to shorten it.  That was my first diagonistic test.  Therefore, the first 80% "appears" to be OK.

• 12. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If I "chose the 8.54GM DVD-9 setting", can I later put that on a standard DVD?

Not from that VIDEO_TS file. You will need to Transcode again, to fit onto a DVD-5. Even with programs, such as DVDShrink, you could never compress a Timeline, that fills a DVD-9 down to DVD-5. Such utilities CAN squeeze a touch more quality (higher allowable Bit-Rate) out of a Timeline, or a few extra minutes of Duration, at the same Bit-Rate. The gains are not THAT great, but sometimes, a bit will get one a successful Project.

The two factors, that determine what will fit onto a disc of fixed size are:

1. Duration - Runtime
                              2. Bit-Rate - determines quality

The other option with a long Timeline (Duration), at a decent Bit-Rate (for quality), would be to break the Timeline, and do a 2 disc set of DVD-5's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                                MGW of Boulder Level 1

When you say, "You will need to Tanscode again, to fit onto a DVD-5.", do you mean I need to do that inside of Pr?.

If that does not work, I assume I have a timeline that will not fit on a DVD-5 and I will need to either split or shorten my project.

I hope PrE will be able to squeeze 130 minutes of 1080p HD video on a DVD-5.  Yes, I know I am asking a lot.  I'll give it a try again since the DVD-9 enconding worked.  

• 14. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I will say (guess) that the odds of you down-rezzing 130 minutes of HD to fit on a single layer DVD are 100 percent... against

But, if all you are working with is a fairly STATIC video, with not a lot of movement, you may be able to do what you want

Your overall bitrate is going to be low, so even if you do fit that much on a DVD, you may not like the quality

But... give it a try and report back

• 15. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You can try to Burn to Folder, setting the size to 4.7GB, and see if PrE will let you do it. There is a quality limit, that PrE will not exceed, and with good reason. If it does Burn to Folder, use a DVD software player, like MediaPlayer Classic HC, and test that VIDEO_TS folder. How is the quality to your eyes?

Good luck, but with that Duration, I think that you are faced with a two disc set, for DVD-5.

Hunt

• 16. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                                      nealeh Level 5

Did you check the 'Fit Contents to available space'?

1.png

What I often do is to burn to folder using the DL setting 'Burn to: Folder (8.5GB)'. This allows PRE to produce the best DVD quality it can. I then (if I want it on a 4.7GB disk) use 'DVD Shrink

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 17. Re: How to reduce video to fit on a DVD?
                                        MGW of Boulder Level 1

Yes, PrE did let me "Burn to Folder" with a size of 4.7GB this time around.  I have not reviewed the quality. 

My Video does have a lot of static content since it is a Slide Show from PhotoShop Elements so, the quality may be OK.

Thanks All, I now know what my size limits are.