10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 8:59 AM by the_wine_snob

Rough Start

BlueWhale123

This is my first PE 10 project & I only have a little background in WLMM.  I've added several photos to the screenline and a music selection which shows up underneath my photos as a green bar, but my photos never play or show in the monitor panel.  When I push the play button, the music plays and the names of my photos show just below the monitor, but no photos.  How can I fix this?

• 1. Re: Rough Start
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, make sure that any photos you use in your project are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851

Then use only WAV files as your audio and music.

If doing these things doesn't fix your problems, please post your computer specs, including your operating system, processor speed, RAM, free hard drive space, etc.

And, if you're looking for a basic understanding of how the program works, check out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rough Start
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to PrE and to the forum.

For info on batch Scaling your Still Images, and why you will want to do that, see this ARTICLE.

Also, after you have arranged you Still Images, you should have a red line above them, on the Timeline. Hit Enter/Return to Render the Timeline for smoothest playback. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

I also recommend Steve's Basic Training Series, and also his many books, and other articles, found at Muvipix.com.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Rough Start
              BlueWhale123 Level 1

Thanks Bill and Steve.  I read the article on resizing photos, that's good info.   I have about 30 photos in the tasks panel, three are on the order of 1000 x 750 and all the rest are more in the 750 x range.  I will check out Steves tutorials at moviepix.com  - I'm sure I'll learn a few things there.  Bill, you said there should be a red line above my photos  - there is a green one in the timeline, no bar in screenline.  I followed the link you gave & watched a video tutorial about it, near as I can tell, green & no color means PE thinks it should have an easy time rendering the sequence of inputs in real time.

I also made a test project with just 3 small pictures - same thing, none of them show in the monitor panel (no music or anything else added.)

I have a relatively new Dell XPS computer, Windows 7, 6 GB of RAM (5.74 usable), 64-bit system, an i5 CPU, runs at 2.67GHz

I appreciate your assistance and expertise.  Thanks again to both of you for responding to my rough start.

BTW - when I look at this forum (my initial post and your 2 replies) there are no FAQ's to the right.

Evening update, I have deleted my project, started all over trying to follow the Basic Training videos (Made it to 3 & a half).  No change.  Just an empty white screen on the top left.  Any help will be appreciated.  Does this have anything to do with my program being newly purchased?  It should work right out of the box, shouldn't it?  I bought it from Adobe and the install went fine.

• 4. Re: Rough Start
                VDOSurfer Level 3

Update the graphics driver. Monitor playback issues are usually resolved with a correct update.

• 5. Re: Rough Start
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with VDOSurfer.

With properly Scaled Still Images, most display issues center on the video driver.

What is the make/model of your video display card/chip?

What is the number/date of the installed video driver? Is that the latest? [Check with the Dell Web site, and do not trust Windows, or any driver utility.]

Let's hope that is the problem, as it is so very easy to fix - just a download, and usually a plain install, but do check any installation notes with the new driver, to be sure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Rough Start
                    BlueWhale123 Level 1

Thank you folks for your assistance.  I have an NVIDIA video card - I don't know the exact number, nor anything about the driver, nor how to find those things.

I was able to go to dell.com and find a support option that scanned my machine to tell me what updates I needed.  There were 4 updates which I downloaded & installed.  None of them had anything to do with the video card.  None the less I hopefully opened my PrE test project with just 3 small-sized photos in it and nothing else, no music or anything.  Unfortunately nothing has changed, it's still the white screen of blank in the monitor pannel.

What I'll do next, is try to have support somewhere help me find the exact name of my video card, and the exact date on the driver.

Thanks again for everyone's efforts.  John thanks for the direct links to the forums.

• 8. Re: Rough Start
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

To to Start>Run, and then type in "dxdiag.exe" (without the quotation marks). That will give you most of the info on your computer. Wait for it to refresh, and click on the Display Tab. There, you will find your Display Adapter info, with the make/model of the card/chip, and the driver version/date.

It could well be that one has to navigate the Dell Drivers/Updates Web site to get to the display drivers. I do not have a Dell, so have not spent much time on their site.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Rough Start
                        BlueWhale123 Level 1

Folks, thank you all so much for working on this with me each day; your support has been very encouraging.  I went to the NVIDIA web site & it scanned my computer for the graphics card and recommended an update, which now is installed. (An idea I got from the Forums John directed me to.)  When I go to PE now I have images in the monitor pannel!  Thanks everybody - wow.  Thanks a lot.  I'm off to make & edit a slideshow/movie for my mom's 80th birthday!  Woo-hoo!

Thanks again

• 10. Re: Rough Start
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and glad that an updated nVidia driver cured the problem.

With any sort of display issue, or GUI problem, that is the first thiing that I suggest. Even simple OS updates can render a video driver obsolete. Most programs do not closely interface with the video driver, so they will still be working OK, but Premiere, and newer Photoshop require a full interface with that video driver, so they will fail in some way.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt