11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 10:29 AM by BobLevine

Importing files into ID CS5.5

mentlity Level 1

I need to create an E Book from .pdf files already designed. I see that ID does not allow .pdf files to be imported. I would think there is a way either thru using Acrobat, Photoshop or Illustrator to convert the .pdfs into files that would be importable. I also did a search on this and see there are converters outside of Adobe?

I'm a newbie to ID and need to know the best way to do this task.

Any help?

RD

• 1. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can most certainly place a PDF in InDesign but they will not convert to an EPUB without being rasterized.

The result will be crap.

If you give us full details on what you’re trying to do we may be able to help, but from your opening remarks I assume you have a lot of learning ahead of you.

Bob

• 2. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5
            mentlity Level 1

I work in Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, DWeaver and Edge I know this does not make me an ID guru to say the least but I need to publish an ebook for someone. I have the original files as multiple .pdfs I need to get those into ID. so I can export from there as epub's I know the rasterizing term you mentioned and understand that and was under the impression that I need to import the creatives (with the neccessary settings) to ID but I'm stuck on how to do correctly. Second fact is the original pdf files are 2400 x 2395 pixels each page and need to make sure I will not lose quality when importing to ID.

Thanks for helping me out here

Rd

• 3. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5

File > Place is the command you are looking for but this is not the way the create an epub.

I will repeat my earlier assessment. It will look like crap.

Depending upon the layout you may have better luck converting the PDF directly to EPUB using Calibre.

Finally, what do you mean the PDFs have 2400x2395 pixel measurements? PDFs shouldn’t be measured in pixels unless they were already rasterized in Photoshop.

Bob

• 4. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5
                mentlity Level 1

Thanks for the Calabri info, that certainly makes this a bit easier. As far as the size in concerned that is what I got sent to me, I'm sure this will take a lot more time to convert to an epub file as it is converting now. So what do you suggest I do in this case as far as the size is concerned?

Which program should I make the size of the pdf smaller and to what size?

thanks so much fore the help.

RD

• 5. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5

Just to be clear… I said Calibre. Here’s a link:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

If those files aren’t rasterized then the text should be live which is what you want and need.

Since you’ve used Dreamweaver I assume you know HTML and CSS which is going to be vital in getting this thing in shape.

Bob

• 6. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5
                    mentlity Level 1

Hmm, Ok I had a look at the Calibri manual and it says that .pdf's are the worst files to convert. So therefore I'm back to square one, so I converted one of the pdf pages to a psd and it looks nice and smooth but when I place it in ID it looks jagged. So then I converted the psd to a jpg and placed that in ID and that looks fine. But when viewing in Adobe Digital Editions it looks a bit jagged as well.

suggestions?

RD

• 7. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5
                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The settings in File > Export > EPUB on the Images panel select the resolution of the rasterization you're experiencing. What setting are you choosing? 72 ppi?

• 8. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5

You said you used Dreamweaver.  Would you simply take a whole bunch of pictures of what a website was supposed to look like and present that as a finished website?

Because that’s what you’re doing here with PDFs into ID to EPUB.

Bob

• 9. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5
                          mentlity Level 1

In File Export Epub there is no setting for  resolution there is just output choices like EPub, Flash, Pdf etc.

• 10. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5
                            mentlity Level 1

I'm converting the pdfs to jpgs as the pages are illustrations with no interactivity.

rd

• 11. Re: Importing files into ID CS5.5

So, there’s little or no text?

In that case, then follow Steve’s direction. There are three panes in the EPUB export dialog. I suggest looking at all three.

Bob