6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2012 7:54 AM by the_wine_snob

A couple questions regarding PE10 on iMac

Jeff930

I have an early 2009 model of iMac, with Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

1)  I didn't see anything specific in the Premiere Elements 10 system requirements regarding the video card.  Does anybody know if PE10 will  run on my iMac?  See above.

2)  I have used Apple's Final Cut Express 4 to edit video.  The one thing I don't like about it is you have to make clips have "handles" on them before you can add transitions.  In other words, you have to manually trim the original clips at beginning and end.  I have used other software editing programs, specifically on Windows machines, and none of them required this manual trimming.  Adding a transition automatically reduced the clip by the required length.  How does PE10 handle adding transitions?  Do you have to manually trim the clips?  Or does adding a transition do it automatically?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: A couple questions regarding PE10 on iMac
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1 - PE10 (unlike Premiere Pro CS5 and later) does not do anything "special" with the video card... so almost any card will work

Depending on what kind of video you edit, that computer may be slow

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: A couple questions regarding PE10 on iMac
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What is the video card in your iMac?

PrE is not really particular about the video card, and does not really push a newer one, but is particular about the video card's driver. Being a PC-only guy, not sure if this is correct, but it is my understanding that when one updates their Mac OS, it automatically updates the video driver.

As for Transitions, one does need Handles, i.e. enouogh Frames to allow for the Transition. See this ARTICLE on Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: A couple questions regarding PE10 on iMac
              Jeff930 Level 1

Thank you Bill and John for your replies.

1)  My video card is ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

2)  If I'm reading the linked article correctly, PrE will automatically add the handles necessary when adding a transition, if the user has not previously trimmed the clip manually.  Is that right?  I appreciate the link and the info; I'm just trying to make sure I understand.

Thanks again!

EDITED: I see that if you don't trim the clips manually before adding transitions, repeat frames will automatically be added.  So, I'm deducing that the bottom line is this: you don't have to manually trim clips before adding transitions, but the price you pay for that convenience is having some still frames.  Does that about sum it up?

Message was edited by: Jeff930

• 4. Re: A couple questions regarding PE10 on iMac
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

PrE does not "add Handles." Some NLE programs fool the user into thinking that the Handles have been "added," but all that has happened is that the In & Out Points have been altered, from what the user originally set. What will happen, if there are not adequate Handles, is that PrE will basically do a Freeze Frame, of the necessary Duration, and warn the user, what it has done. This is seldom a good course of action, as it will likely never be smooth, or desired.

Depending on how you shoot, and how you Trim, you should already have adequate Handles available. If you start shooting, right when the desired action begins, or stop shooting, as soon as that necessary action has completed, then you might not have adequate Handles, and will have to manually set the Clip's In & Out Points to allow for them.

If your Clips have a little triangle in the upper corner, that means that there are no more Frames to work with. One would need to Trim the Clips. PrE (and PrPro) does not do this automatically, assuming that the user knows what they want.

If one has several "scenes" in a Clip, and then Cut right at the scene change, only to apply a Transition, they will see Frames from the next scene, that they intended to Trim out with the Cut.

I strongly recommend beginning the recording of each scene, about 5 sec. before the necessary action, and continue to record for about 5 sec. after the necessary action has completed. That guarantees having adequate Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: A couple questions regarding PE10 on iMac
                  Jeff930 Level 1

Thank you, Bill, that was a very good explanation.

• 6. Re: A couple questions regarding PE10 on iMac
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Almost any time one poses a question on Transitions, I add that article, as almost everyone bumps up against Handles at some point. It is not the easiest concept to grasp initially. I came from a cine background, where we had to physically make sure that we had Handles (though they had not been named that yet), and because we were doing A-B Roll editing of the film, it was plainly in front of us. We just extended the footage on the A Roll, to overlap material on the B Roll, for the Duration of our Cross-Dissolves (often called Lap-Dissolves, which was sort of shorthand for OVERlap-Dissolve). Same thing with our Fade to Black (now Dip to Black), in that we needed enough Frames to allow the film printer to close down the aperture of the printer to get to black.

Good luck,

Hunt