20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 1:22 PM by A.T. Romano

Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere

HikaruGunner

Hi I was editing some videos on Adobe Premiere 9 and I was trying to render my video as avi, with xvid codec and mp3 audio. Well i can select xvid just fine, but I can't select the audio, the only option there is is audio codec: uncompressed.

Is there a way to use mp3 as audio on premiere?

• 1. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Render is when you press the enter key so the timeline creates preview "render" files for easier playback

Export/share is when you create a new file

So... do you have render problems, or problems with creating a new file?

Are you trying to use MP3 as an edit source file, or as an output when you create a new file?

• 2. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
            HikaruGunner Level 1

Sorry, i mean i cant select mp3 codec when I create a new file.

• 3. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
              the_wine_snob Level 9

What version of PrE are you using?

Earlier versions did not support MP3 Export/Share.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Here is the case...HikaruGunner wants to be able to export his Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Timeline to a Xvid.avi file having mp3 audio. His export route is Share/Computer/AVI with a Microsoft AVI preset.  The only choice for Audio = Audio Codec Uncompressed. Apparently a way has been found to get Xvid into the Microsoft AVI Video Codec choices.

1. I believe that even if this user goes for Xvid.avi with the Audio Uncompressed, the end result is going to be "crash" because the Xvid codec in Premiere Elements (any version) has been bad news. You have written about it often.

2. I know that you can get DivX to install in the computer and show up in those Microsoft AVI video codec options and there is a lesser problem with the DivX.avi export than the Xvid.avi. Apparently this user says that getting Xvid codec in the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Microsoft AVI Video Codec list is possible.....has not tried exporting it yet with or with the Uncompressed Audio.

3. I have never heard of anyone installing an audio codec and having it show up in the Microsoft AVI Audio Codec choices to replace Uncompressed or give an alternative to Uncompressed.. There is no choice. Uncompressed is it. So there is the question..is there a way to get the .mp3 audio codec to show up in the Microsoft AVI Audio Codec choices. I think not. So, we are asking.

.Thanks for your insights on this.

ATR

• 5. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Wow, where did you find the "PrE 9.0.1?" It's not THAT late here, and I could not find it.

As far as Xvid Export/Share, I have never been able to get that to work with any Adobe program, or version of an Adobe program. Now, DivX, the commercially available version of Xvid, does work from my Adobe programs. The DivX CODEC is free, but they have a "pro" encoder, that is for pay, along with some levels of players. Xvid is the open source version, but there seem to be big differences, in how Adobe programs work with it. Not sure why, but if I need to do heavily-compressed streaming media, I just go to DivX.

With MS AVI, I have both Xvid (always crashes PrE, or PrPro), and DivX, but under Audio, I do not have MP3. However, I have an earlier version of PrE, so there might be more options in later versions. I do not have PrE 9.0.1 to test. Yes, with installation of the CODEC's, Xvid IS available under MS AVI, but not with MP3 Audio on my system.

I have about 7 Audio options, besides Uncompressed PCM/WAV, but not MP3.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

HikaruGunner wrote "Hi I was editing some videos on Adobe Premiere 9".

In the days of Premiere Elements 4 and 7.0, the user had the perk of exporting via the File Menu/Export/Movie for a Microsoft AVI file with audio choices of:

Uncompressed, IMA ADPCM, CCITT A-Law, CCITT u-Law, GSM 6.10, and Microsoft ADPCM. No MP3. Even in those days, do you ever remember being able to force the program to display export choices there derived from special audio codecs installed by the user? In versions 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, and 10 the File Menu/Export/Movie was discontinued (leaving only File Menu/Export/Title) and all Microsoft AVI export was via Share/Personal Computer (or later called just Computer)/ And in these later version, in the Share location in the area under discussion, the only audio codec is Uncompressed.

So, just like forcing Xvid and Divx into video codec availablity, we were wondering if there was a way to force a particular audio codec (in this case MP3) into audio codec availability. I have never run into that.

ATR

• 7. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang, you are absolutely correct. Even after looking twice, I did not see that. Guess that I need those new glasses!!!!! It was not even officially "Wine Thirty" here yet.

As for Audio CODEC's, outside that list, no. I have hundreds, and none, beyond those listed, are available.

For similar, I would pick up the commercial DivX Pro Encoder (US $ 39, IIRC), and Export/Share an intermediate file, to be processed by the DivX Pro Encoder. The workstation, with the DivX Pro Encoder is busy right now, but will check, when it's Export is done, to see what options are available there. I do not have the DivX Pro Encoder on the laptop, so I must wait.

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                        Robert J. Johnston Level 2

I know that DivX Pro works fine in PRE10.

If you manage to share to Xvid with uncompressed audio, then you should be able to run that through AVIDemux without recompressing the video. Just use the "Copy" option. For audio, there is an MP3 (Lame) option.

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html

• 9. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                          HikaruGunner Level 1

Ok, one quick question though: the videos I'm using for source files have lossy audio codecs. If I encode them on premiere elements to divx and uncompressed audio, the audio files will have to be encoded again right? And then encoded again on avidemux, when I convert them to mp3. Won't the audio quality suffer after all those conversions?

• 10. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are starting with Source Files, with compressed Audio to begin with, what exactly is the reason to use another, highly-compressed format/CODEC, such as MP-3?

Uncompressed will keep the Audio in the state that it is in, and should not degrade the existing quality even more, where additional output to MP-3 will strip even more data from the Stream. If the Audio Stream has any importance, at all, I would want it to be unprocessed any more. Many feel that using PCM/WAV Uncompressed is so much better, than AC3 (a flavor of MPEG) for DVD production, though the Audio takes up a bit more space, and the potential for DD 5.1 SS is not supported in the WAV format.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                              HikaruGunner Level 1

I'm trying to make a 4*4 video wall. Since there are 4 audio tracks, and I want the sound of all of them, they will have to be encoded to a single audio track, right?

• 12. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                                nealeh Level 5

No. You can load each audio to a separate audio track covering the same part of your timeline. You can then use the PRE mixer to adjust them as you like.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

I do not see how your "No" applies here, since the latest question is related to encoded species not placing audio in the Timeline content. Apparently I have read the latest question differently than you.

Could you please clarify your comment as it relates to HikaruGunner's comment which was

"I'm trying to make a 4*4 video wall. Since there are 4 audio tracks, and I want the sound of all of them, they will have to be encoded to a single audio track, right?"

It would appear that when HikaruGunner asks ....right? HikaruGunner is referring to the encoded file which would be one coming from Premiere Elements 9 as the Xvid.avid with Uncompressed Audio. At that point HikaruGunner would look into the suggestion of Robert J. Johnston to use the 3rd party software to reach the goal.

ATR

• 14. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                                    nealeh Level 5

I interpreted the question as to how he wished to manage it in PRE before Sharing. If the question relates to Sharing from PRE then the sound will have to be one track as PRE does not support multiple selectable soundtracks.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 15. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                                      HikaruGunner Level 1

"If the question relates to Sharing from PRE then the sound will have to be one track as PRE does not support multiple selectable soundtracks."

yea i was refering to sharing. BTW, there isn't a option to pause the encoding, and to shutdown the pc after the encoding too, right? I researched and it seems those options don't exist too, but just to make sure...

• 16. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                                        nealeh Level 5

You are correct - there isn't a option to pause the encoding, and to shutdown the pc

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 17. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere

I eventually tried going the Avidemux route, but my first attempt failed. Avidemux didn't know how many frames were in the video file. Apparently the header created by Premiere Elements wasn't good enough. I had to open the avi file in VirtualDub, select "Direct Stream Copy" under the Video menu, and then save to another avi file. That file did open up in Avidemux. Immediately after opening the file in Avidemux, you are given an option to unpack it, but if you do, then the resulting file you later create will look like DivX instead of Xvid. So I didn't unpack the file. After saving to another avi file with the audio converted to Mp3, the file played back in various players and looked like an Xvid file to MediaInfo.

Avidemux outputs stereo, joint stereo, or mono. Under the filter button, there is a mixer for 5.1 channels and other configurations. Sorry.

• 18. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert J. Johnston

Thank you for all the details and exploration and experimentation on this matter.

I do have one question regarding

a. No unpacking in Avidemux to avoid the resulting file looking like DivX instead of Xvid. Then you wrote, "After saving to another .avi file with audio converted to Mp3, the file played back in various players and looked like an Xvid file to MediaInfo."

Could you elaborate on that. Especially, the part, where you were "...saving to another .avi file..." what did you save as from the point of view of compression with that .avi file extension. I ask since you say the the file looked like an Xvid file to MediaInfo.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 19. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere

Hi ATR,

When I saved to another avi in Avidemux -- for both unpack and no unpack bitstream -- I had selected to "Copy" the video that Premiere Elements produced, so there was no recompression, it was "smart rendered." For the audio, I selected to convert from uncompressed to MP3. Then I did a "Save As..." to another avi file. Avidemux muxed the copied video stream with the new mp3 stream.

I don't know what the packing or no packing fo bitstream was all about in Avidemux. I suppose unpacking a bitstream is like unzipping a file. When I selected to unpack the avi file created by Premiere Elements, the avi file that I saved in Avidemux was shown by MediaInfo as being a DivX type avi file. When I selected to not unpack the file created by Premiere Elements, the avi I saved in Avidemux was shown by MediaInfo as being an Xvid type avi file. That's all there was and all I know about that.

• 20. Re: Lame mp3 on Adobe premiere
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert J. Johnston

Thank you very much for the additional details. As usual, great follow up, great innovative work, great contribution.

ATR