1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 6:08 PM by the_wine_snob

Moving Premiere Elements 9 to a new machine

daddyNyLon

Hi all,

My PC died recently, and suddenly.  Thankfully I had a drive backing everything up so I have a complete mirror of my harddrive on an external drive.  I have now bought a new PC and have installed PE9 onto it.

I would like to be able to rebuild all my projects etc in my new installation, using the files I have in my back-up drive.  Can someone please tell me which files I need to copy over, and where they should go?  The drive names will probably be different, but beneath that all files are in the same folder structure as they were on my old (now dead) machine.  The dead machine ran Vista, and I'm now on Win7.

Please let me know if there's any further information I need to provide.

Thanks in advance.

DNL

• 1. Re: Moving Premiere Elements 9 to a new machine
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You will need the PREL (Project) files, plus all media files.

If the location has changed, say with the drive letter, then, when you Open your PREL, PrE will ask, "Where is file _____ ?" Just use the Finder to navigate to the new location. PrE will then look in that folder, and relink to all media files, used in that Project, in that folder. If the media files are in sub-folders, you will need to repeat that operation for each sub-folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - some have had issues, when using mirrored copies of their C:\, with regards to the full installation of the program. If you do not get a working copy of your PrE installed, then I would use the media, and do a Repair Install, to get everything connected and in the Registry.