1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2006 7:47 AM by Newsgroup_User

Please Help Me Get Started

Airborne_Bob Level 1
      Hello Again,

I'm the new guy from NJ trying to create my own VERY SIMPLE, BASIC website myself. I think I'm of above-average intelligence and capable of doing this, but so far I'm stymied as to where to start. I have read most of the early chapters in Negrino's book, "Visual Quickstart Guide."

I think I'm best off starting with Sample Pages, no? And of the Sample Pages, I'm leaning toward Page Designs (CSS). This would be using CSS rather than tables (in Starter Pages, for example) as a base for layout and positioning. So far so good?

Please provide feedback if you think this would provide the easiest-to-understand path for an extreme novice like myself. Or if you think I should select another course, please let me know. I'm only trying to create 5-6 pages showing two rental duplexes I own, a description of each, and several pages showing availability and rental rates. My biggest challenge is going to be having an "Availability" page in which I can alter the time slots to show changes in weekly availability and rental rates.

Is there a VERY simple tutorial that can at least get me started (providing my above choice is what would be recommended for a complete dufus such as myself) and if so, what basic steps would you all recommend? I open the new document under Page Designs (CSS) with two-column left nav and I'm completely intimidated, I don't even know where to start.

And why is my typing so damned slow here? Could have something to do with my 700 Mz Dell. Anyway, I know this post is laughable but I've got to start somewhere, so it might as well be on the receiving end of your punchlines! Any help gratefully appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
          dwebber-IuOzl3
          Since you are just learning, yes, go with using CSS for your styles and divs in your html. I find it easier to create an external style sheet instead of putting it all in my html doc.

I had to "relearn" building sites when I ditched tables, so you're already one step ahead. Please note, that CSS isn't a replacement of tables, because you can use CSS and still build your entire site within a table. Check out this site for a complete guide on CSS and web standards. It was, and still is, truly helpful to me. I was learning as I was redesigning my company's web site. I posted quite often here and at Project VII's forums (www.projectseven.com).

http://www.westciv.com/index.html
          • 2. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
            Level 7
            > I think I'm best off starting with Sample Pages, no?

Definitely not.

> And of the Sample Pages, I'm leaning toward Page Designs (CSS)

DEFINITELY NOT.

> So far so good?

You're in the poop already.

> I open the new document
            > under Page Designs (CSS) with two-column left nav and I'm completely
            > intimidated, I don't even know where to start.

That's part of the problem - those pages are for people who are comfortable
            with HTML, CSS, and javascript.

I think the best thing you can do is to stick with some books for now - if
            you must have the site, then hire someone to build it for you. When you are
            feeling comfortable with HTML and perhaps CSS, then you can start in on the
            CSS Page Designs, but definitely not before.

Another good way to get rolling would be to grab one of the nice templates
            here -

http://dreamweaverresources.com/

or even some of the Page Packs here -

http://www.projectseven.com/

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"Airborne Bob" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ebvsme$ml9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello Again,
            >
            > I'm the new guy from NJ trying to create my own VERY SIMPLE, BASIC website
            > myself. I think I'm of above-average intelligence and capable of doing
            > this,
            > but so far I'm stymied as to where to start. I have read most of the
            > early
            > chapters in Negrino's book, "Visual Quickstart Guide."
            >
            > I think I'm best off starting with Sample Pages, no? And of the Sample
            > Pages,
            > I'm leaning toward Page Designs (CSS). This would be using CSS rather than
            > tables (in Starter Pages, for example) as a base for layout and
            > positioning.
            > So far so good?
            >
            > Please provide feedback if you think this would provide the
            > easiest-to-understand path for an extreme novice like myself. Or if you
            > think
            > I should select another course, please let me know. I'm only trying to
            > create
            > 5-6 pages showing two rental duplexes I own, a description of each, and
            > several
            > pages showing availability and rental rates. My biggest challenge is
            > going to
            > be having an "Availability" page in which I can alter the time slots to
            > show
            > changes in weekly availability and rental rates.
            >
            > Is there a VERY simple tutorial that can at least get me started
            > (providing my
            > above choice is what would be recommended for a complete dufus such as
            > myself)
            > and if so, what basic steps would you all recommend? I open the new
            > document
            > under Page Designs (CSS) with two-column left nav and I'm completely
            > intimidated, I don't even know where to start.
            >
            > And why is my typing so damned slow here? Could have something to do with
            > my
            > 700 Mz Dell. Anyway, I know this post is laughable but I've got to start
            > somewhere, so it might as well be on the receiving end of your punchlines!
            > Any
            > help gratefully appreciated.
            >

• 3. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
              Airborne_Bob Level 1
              Thanks for the link and advice, dweber. I'm thankful for any help anyone can give.

I've signed up for a Dreamweaver MX course in September at my local community college (Middlesex County). Hoping to be able to play around with DW 8 sufficiently enough by then to not appear as completely inept and foolish as I think I must appear here.

I am trying to find very basic, easy-to-understand articles to at least get my feet wet designing a few basic pages before I go into the class and make a complete fool of myself. If I start out concentrating on CSS, I think I should be in the right direction.

Still can't figure out why it takes me twice as long to post here as any other board I visit.....
              • 4. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                Level 7
                >Still can't figure out why it takes me twice as long to post here as any
                >other board I visit.....
                Try pasting this into your browser - life will be sooo much easier! Let it
                make the connection with Outlook Express or any other newsreader programme.
                news://forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com

Jo

• 5. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                  Airborne_Bob Level 1
                  Thank you, Murray, for your candor. I do know I'm in the poop and being over my head is a definite downside (LOL). The links you gave me look really interesting from the cursory glance I just gave them. And the one from dweber I will read at length also.

I was hoping to be able to at least experiment enough with a page or two to have as many basics under control BEFORE I enter this MX class (supposedly for beginners) in September. If I keep at it and keep reading perhaps I can get somewhere before then. But I've always been a "hands on" person when it comes to learning and I think I'll learn better by doing, so this is why I was asking about any basic, simple things I could do to at least get started constructing something.

I do understand that I can hire someone to do this, but I'll also enjoy the challenge of learning to do it myself. I think my biggest challenge, as I said, is going to be the page on which I have to have a weekly rental calendar that I can edit almost daily.

But any help that anyone can give me here is greatly appreciated and I thank all who can contribute. I will definately read the info in these links you've provided. I'm even printing out your responses to this post so I can keep them in a folder. Thanks again...
                  • 6. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                    Level 7
                    > I was hoping to be able to at least experiment enough with a page or two
                    > to
                    > have as many basics under control BEFORE I enter this MX class (supposedly
                    > for
                    > beginners) in September. If I keep at it and keep reading perhaps I can
                    > get
                    > somewhere before then. But I've always been a "hands on" person when it
                    > comes
                    > to learning and I think I'll learn better by doing, so this is why I was
                    > asking
                    > about any basic, simple things I could do to at least get started
                    > constructing
                    > something.

I can understand - you are still better off starting with one of those
                    templates or PagePacks.

> I do understand that I can hire someone to do this, but I'll also enjoy
                    > the
                    > challenge of learning to do it myself. I think my biggest challenge, as I
                    > said, is going to be the page on which I have to have a weekly rental
                    > calendar
                    > that I can edit almost daily.

Yes, well, that's the 301 class....

> But any help that anyone can give me here is greatly appreciated and I
                    > thank
                    > all who can contribute. I will definately read the info in these links
                    > you've
                    > provided. I'm even printing out your responses to this post so I can keep
                    > them
                    > in a folder. Thanks again...

Just keep checking back here. The people who build those templates both
                    hang out here.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

news:ec00s1$r95$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Thank you, Murray, for your candor. I do know I'm in the poop and being
                    > over
                    > my head is a definite downside (LOL). The links you gave me look really
                    > interesting from the cursory glance I just gave them. And the one from
                    > dweber
                    > I will read at length also.
                    >
                    > I was hoping to be able to at least experiment enough with a page or two
                    > to
                    > have as many basics under control BEFORE I enter this MX class (supposedly
                    > for
                    > beginners) in September. If I keep at it and keep reading perhaps I can
                    > get
                    > somewhere before then. But I've always been a "hands on" person when it
                    > comes
                    > to learning and I think I'll learn better by doing, so this is why I was
                    > asking
                    > about any basic, simple things I could do to at least get started
                    > constructing
                    > something.
                    >
                    > I do understand that I can hire someone to do this, but I'll also enjoy
                    > the
                    > challenge of learning to do it myself. I think my biggest challenge, as I
                    > said, is going to be the page on which I have to have a weekly rental
                    > calendar
                    > that I can edit almost daily.
                    >
                    > But any help that anyone can give me here is greatly appreciated and I
                    > thank
                    > all who can contribute. I will definately read the info in these links
                    > you've
                    > provided. I'm even printing out your responses to this post so I can keep
                    > them
                    > in a folder. Thanks again...
                    >

• 7. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                      Level 7
                      Airborne Bob, I second Murray's advice:

> ...grab one of the nice templates here -
                      >
                      > http://dreamweaverresources.com/
                      >
                      > or even some of the Page Packs here -
                      >
                      > http://www.projectseven.com/

The Project Seven templates, although they cost a couple of dollars, come
                      with truly remarkable technical support via their newsgroup. You can ask
                      question after dumb question (just kidding) and get answers from pros as
                      well as other ordinary humans. This could be a good "sandbox" for you to
                      experiment in - you won't be alone in your random mucking about. :-)

--
                      Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                      Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                      Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                      --

• 8. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                        Airborne_Bob Level 1
                        Thank you Jo... I don't know how to paste things into my browzer but I will look around and see how I can do this. Are you talking about pasting what you have at the bottom of your post? I have Windows XP with the regular M/S Internet Explorer. If this is what you mean, I'm sure I can do this and make posting here much faster. Right now it takes 2-4 seconds for what I type to show up on my screen!

P/S:
                        Those premade templates are pretty cool! Some are table-based though, so I'm still not sure. Thank you all very much.
                        • 9. Please Help Me Get Started
                          Airborne_Bob Level 1
                          Good God, Patty, you and Murray have made jumping out of perfectly good airplanes seem like childsplay compared to this "project seven" stuff. It's beautiful! You've all supplied me with more than enough to do for now, meandering about these websites and reading up on what I need.

I do need to address this sluggishness though... and pronto. Everything is in super-slow motion when posting here. Jo said I should paste this: (news://forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com) into my browser? I don't want to trouble you all with my trivial nonsense, but is this correct? Do I access my Browser through "Control Panel" and then paste this in there?

Spare me, please. I don't handle ridicule well.
                          • 10. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                            alan_smithee_jr
                            Jo said I should paste this: (news://forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com) into my browser?

CLICK THIS
                            • 11. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                              alan_smithee_jr Level 1
                              sorry...that didn't work.

• 12. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                Level 7
                                On Wed 16 Aug 2006 06:30:16p, Airborne Bob wrote in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> Jo said I should paste this:
                                > (news://forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com) into my browser?

Actually, what she meant was:

news://forums.macromedia.com/

This group is:

news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

When you click on one of those links, Outlook Express should load if you're
                                on a Windows machine.
                                • 13. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                  Level 7

> When you click on one of those links, Outlook Express

The links aren't live on the web based forum. I failed in my attempt to make
                                  a like link there perhaps because I never use the web forum and don't know
                                  how to really work it.

• 14. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                    Level 7
                                    Bob:

Do you have OutlookExpress?

Open it, select Tools, Accounts, add a new News account, fill in stuff and
                                    make the server - forums.macromedia.com. Download the newsgroup list,
                                    subscribe to what you want, and you're off and running!

--
                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    ==================
                                    ==================

news:ec069o$3s8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Good God, Patty, you and Murray have made jumping out of perfectly good
                                    > airplanes seem like childsplay compared to this "project seven" stuff.
                                    > It's
                                    > beautiful! You've all supplied me with more than enough to do for now,
                                    > meandering about these websites and reading up on what I need.
                                    >
                                    > I do need to address this sluggishness though... and pronto. Everything
                                    > is in
                                    > super-slow motion when posting here. Jo said I should paste this:
                                    > (news://forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com) into my browser? I don't want
                                    > to
                                    > trouble you all with my trivial nonsense, but is this correct? Do I
                                    > access my
                                    > Browser through "Control Panel" and then paste this in there?
                                    >
                                    > Spare me, please. I don't handle ridule well.
                                    >
                                    >

• 15. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                      Level 7
                                      news:ebvsme$ml9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > Hello Again,
                                      >
                                      > I'm the new guy from NJ trying to create my own VERY SIMPLE, BASIC website
                                      > myself. I think I'm of above-average intelligence and capable of doing
                                      > this,
                                      > but so far I'm stymied as to where to start. I have read most of the
                                      > early
                                      > chapters in Negrino's book, "Visual Quickstart Guide."

If you prefer to experiment on your own, rather than purchasing a template,
                                      you may want to take a look at the css tutorials at the Adobe site:
                                      http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html

--
                                      Nadia
                                      Adobe� Community Expert : Dreamweaver
                                      ---------------------------------------------
                                      http://www.DreamweaverResources.com - Dropdown Menu Templates|Tutorials
                                      http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html

• 16. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                        Level 7
                                        Or these -

http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/qdmacfly/index.htm
                                        http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/tableless_layout_dw8.html
                                        http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/css_concepts.html

--
                                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                        Adobe Community Expert
                                        ==================
                                        ==================

"Nadia : *Adobe Community Expert*" <nadia@REMOVETHISperrelink.com.au> wrote
                                        in message news:ec0qtf$oqc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        > "Airborne Bob" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                        > news:ebvsme$ml9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        >> Hello Again,
                                        >>
                                        >> I'm the new guy from NJ trying to create my own VERY SIMPLE, BASIC
                                        >> website
                                        >> myself. I think I'm of above-average intelligence and capable of doing
                                        >> this,
                                        >> but so far I'm stymied as to where to start. I have read most of the
                                        >> early
                                        >> chapters in Negrino's book, "Visual Quickstart Guide."
                                        >
                                        >
                                        > If you prefer to experiment on your own, rather than purchasing a
                                        > template, you may want to take a look at the css tutorials at the Adobe
                                        > site: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html
                                        >
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Nadia
                                        > Adobe� Community Expert : Dreamweaver
                                        > ---------------------------------------------
                                        > http://www.DreamweaverResources.com - Dropdown Menu Templates|Tutorials
                                        > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >

• 17. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                          Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                          Okay, I have followed Murray's (and others') suggestions and to no avail (as far as adding this newsgroup to my browser in Outlook Express). A window keeps popping up informing me "server cannot be found."

I have gone to Outlook>tools>accnts and typed in "forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com" and it tells me "server not found." Meanwhile, I could hand-deliver you all a paper message in the time it takes me to see my typewritten message here on this board. Any other suggestions (or fine tuning) appreciated.

I have taken these links that everyone provide me with and added them in Favorites. I am familiar with and have already read Stephanie Sullivan's excellent article too, but alas, it clearly says "for intermediates" at the git-go, and that's not me yet. I will spend my day today reading more and looking at these template sites. Sure wish I could fix the sluggishness I'm experiencing on this board though.

"Frustrated in Jersey"...
                                          • 18. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                            Level 7
                                            Do you see this -

http://www.murraytestsite.com/px1.png?

> I have gone to Outlook>tools>accnts and typed in
                                            > "forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com" and it tells me "server not found."

This is not, and never has been the correct server name. Please see the
                                            image above.

--
                                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                            Adobe Community Expert
                                            ==================
                                            ==================

news:ec1r2o$25t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                            > Okay, I have followed Murray's (and others') suggestions and to no avail
                                            > (as
                                            > far as adding this newsgroup to my browser in Outlook Express). A window
                                            > keeps
                                            > popping up informing me "server cannot be found."
                                            >
                                            > I have gone to Outlook>tools>accnts and typed in
                                            > "forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com" and it tells me "server not found."
                                            > Meanwhile, I could hand-deliver you all a paper message in the time it
                                            > takes me
                                            > to see my typewritten message here on this board. Any other suggestions
                                            > (or
                                            > fine tuning) appreciated.
                                            >
                                            > I have taken these links that everyone provide me with and added them in
                                            > Favorites. I am familiar with and have already read Stephanie Sullivan's
                                            > excellent article too, but alas, it clearly says "for intermediates" at
                                            > the
                                            > git-go, and that's not me yet. I will spend my day today reading more and
                                            > looking at these template sites. Sure wish I could fix the sluggishness
                                            > I'm
                                            > experiencing on this board though.
                                            >
                                            > "Frustrated in Jersey"...
                                            >

• 19. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                              Level 7
                                              A simple suggestion would be to go to and teach yourself HTML and CSS...
                                              here's my list of sites that helped me learn:

#1 : http://www.w3schools.com/
                                              Take the tutorials, and quizzes ... I recommend HTML, XHTML, and CSS ...
                                              if you're real adventurous step into PHP or ASP

#2 : http://html.tucows.com/

#3 : http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/

#4 : http://www.websitetips.com/
                                              • 20. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                Okay, if I try it a different way and click onto "Subscribe to Newsgroups," I get "Server cannot be found" again and the following explanation:

Configuration:
                                                Account: forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com
                                                Server: forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com
                                                User name: (XXXX)
                                                Protocol: NNTP

Something stupid I'm doing (besides making a pest of myself)?
                                                • 21. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                  Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                  Okay... I'm also getting a window right after "Server not found" which tells me "There are no items which match your current filter criteria." I'm wondering if my McAfee is blocking something...

Thank you very much, Christopher. I will go to these and read, read, read...
                                                  • 22. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                    Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                    Murray, I can see your example but I cannot find a window that looks like this. I'm afraid I've entered the wrong information or not completed what I need to complete after I do Outlook>Tools>Accts>Add a New News Acct. I have not "made the server Forums.macromedia.com" apparently. Keeps saying "Server not found" and the other "filter message" I posted above.

Grrrrr......
                                                    • 23. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                      Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                      I have added all these in my "Favorites," Christopher. Thank you and everyone for the leads... I've got more than enough to sink my teeth into now...
                                                      • 24. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                        Level 7
                                                        Bob:

http://www.murraytestsite.com/bob0.png, bob1.png, bob2.png, bob3.png,
                                                        bob4.png

Create the new news account using 'forums.macromedia.com' as the server
                                                        name. You should be able to connect and download the list of newsgroups.
                                                        Can you?

The images show what I see when I select the forum account, and click on
                                                        properties....

--
                                                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                        Adobe Community Expert
                                                        ==================
                                                        ==================

news:ec1umg$6cc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                        >I have added all these in my "Favorites," Christopher. Thank you and
                                                        >everyone for the leads... I've got more than enough to sink my teeth into
                                                        >now...

• 25. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                          Level 7

news:ec1snd$452$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                          > Okay, if I try it a different way and click onto "Subscribe to
                                                          > Newsgroups," I
                                                          > get "Server cannot be found" again and the following explanation:
                                                          >
                                                          > Configuration:
                                                          > Account: forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com
                                                          > Server: forums.macromedia.dreamweaver.com

These are WRONG. It needs to be "forums.macromedia.com" (without the
                                                          quotes).

--
                                                          Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                                                          Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                                                          Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                                                          --

• 26. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                            Level 7
                                                            > complete after I do Outlook>Tools>Accts>Add a New News Acct.

You write "Outlook." Just for clarification, you can not access newsgroups
                                                            from Outlook. You need to be using Outlook Express.

• 27. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                              Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                              Hello Alan,

Yes, I meant Outlook Express.

Okay, well, I have gone in again and entered "forums.macromedia.com" and deleted the other (with dreamweaver in it) and it is now listed under my folders on the left side of my Outlook Express, but I still have this sluggish response time to my posts here. I suspect it's slowing down my navigation around here as well, so I still don't know what to do to resolve this.

It seems I've successfully entered the newsgroup but I believe there is still a server issue. Many thanks, though, to everyone who has tried to help me with this.
                                                              • 28. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                Level 7
                                                                But you are still posting from the web forums?

Your slowness could be related to your computing environment.

What happens when you ping macromedia.com? What kind of returns do you get?

--
                                                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                Adobe Community Expert
                                                                ==================
                                                                ==================

news:ec2b7b$ll5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                > Hello Alan,
                                                                >
                                                                > Yes, I meant Outlook Express.
                                                                >
                                                                > Okay, well, I have gone in again and entered "forums.macromedia.com" and
                                                                > deleted the other (with dreamweaver in it) and it is now listed under my
                                                                > folders on the left side of my Outlook Express, but I still have this
                                                                > sluggish
                                                                > response time to my posts here. I suspect it's slowing down my navigation
                                                                > around here as well, so I still don't know what to do to resolve this.
                                                                >
                                                                > It seems I've successfully entered the newsgroup but I believe there is
                                                                > still
                                                                > a server issue. Many thanks, though, to everyone who has tried to help me
                                                                > with
                                                                > this.
                                                                >

• 29. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                  Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                                  Hi Murray,

I don't know what you mean by "pinging." I have absolutely no problem posting on any other board I visit. This is the strangest thing... never seen it before. Everything is in sloooowwww motion.

I have been viewing those sample web page packages all afternoon (the site you recommended). Quite a nice assortment they have. I think 5-6 pages would do me fine. I'm not requiring much... only featuring the two duplexes, each across the street from one another and each being second from the ocean. So I'm looking for one that has been layed out with perhaps two pictures across from one another. Probably don't even need the contact page, although that's nice and looks more professional.

This dog-gone website is driving me nuts though... slow as molasses. Perhaps you guys shouldn't help me get this fixed though... think of it as a God-send! LOL....
                                                                  • 30. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                    Level 7
                                                                    > I don't know what you mean by "pinging."

In Windows, open a command prompt window - enter "ping
                                                                    forums.macromedia.com".

When I do that, I get return times of 94ms. What do you get?

--
                                                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                                                    ==================
                                                                    ==================

news:ec2hfh$15$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                    > Hi Murray,
                                                                    >
                                                                    > I don't know what you mean by "pinging." I have absolutely no problem
                                                                    > posting
                                                                    > on any other board I visit. This is the strangest thing... never seen it
                                                                    > before. Everything is in sloooowwww motion.
                                                                    >
                                                                    > I have been viewing those sample web page packages all afternoon (the site
                                                                    > you
                                                                    > recommended). Quite a nice assortment they have. I think 5-6 pages would
                                                                    > do
                                                                    > me fine. I'm not requiring much... only featuring the two duplexes, each
                                                                    > across the street from one another and each being second from the ocean.
                                                                    > So
                                                                    > I'm looking for one that has been layed out with perhaps two pictures
                                                                    > across
                                                                    > from one another. Probably don't even need the contact page, although
                                                                    > that's
                                                                    > nice and looks more professional.
                                                                    >
                                                                    > This dog-gone website is driving me nuts though... slow as molasses.
                                                                    > Perhaps
                                                                    > you guys shouldn't help me get this fixed though... think of it as a
                                                                    > God-send!
                                                                    > LOL....
                                                                    >

• 31. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                      Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                                      BTW... Image Gallery Magic by Projectseven is mind-blowing! I'm WAY ahead of myself now, but oh... the possibilities for eventually displaying the digital pix of my rental property!
                                                                      • 32. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                        Level 7
                                                                        Check this -

http://wildimages.biz/wi_gallery-wild-horses.shtml

--
                                                                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                        Adobe Community Expert
                                                                        ==================
                                                                        ==================

news:ec2j6i$253$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                        > BTW... Image Gallery Magic by Projectseven is mind-blowing! I'm WAY ahead
                                                                        > of myself now, but oh... the possibilities for eventually displaying the
                                                                        > digital pix of my rental property!

• 33. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                          Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                                          Thanks Murry,

I will try this pinging tomorrow. Right now, I'm all burned out. I'll look around for where I have to find a "command prompt window"... don't know where to fing that even.

But this is definately a browser issue, I think, because I have to constantly log in, even if I have left the group for 2 minutes. My sign-in is checked off "Remember me." but it's not happening. Maybe this is an issue I need to take up with management instead of taking all your time. But I will try to ping tomorrow and see what kind of return time I come up with.

Many thanks to everyone for the links. I have entered ALL of them into my "Favorites" and am having a ball visiting them and taking the demos for a spin. REALLY cool stuff out there...
                                                                          • 34. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                            Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                                            Okay Murray,

I have pinged forums.macromedia.com. The results are as follows:

83ms
                                                                            85ms
                                                                            87ms
                                                                            87ms

Sent 4, received 4. Approximate round trip in milli-seconds: 85ms.

There is something really simple that I am not doing when setting this up in Outlook Express. Perhaps I just need to research "How to set up a newsgroup" and try that. But posting here, this way, is downright exasperating. Thanks for any all help so far.
                                                                            • 35. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                              Level 7
                                                                              Those return times are even faster than the ones I got. That's good.

Where are you posting from, Bob? Home, or work?

--
                                                                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                              Adobe Community Expert
                                                                              ==================
                                                                              ==================

news:ec4grn$b1i$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                              > Okay Murray,
                                                                              >
                                                                              > I have pinged forums.macromedia.com. The results are as follows:
                                                                              >
                                                                              > 83ms
                                                                              > 85ms
                                                                              > 87ms
                                                                              > 87ms
                                                                              >
                                                                              > Sent 4, received 4. Approximate round trip in milli-seconds: 85ms.
                                                                              >
                                                                              > There is something really simple that I am not doing when setting this up
                                                                              > in
                                                                              > Outlook Express. Perhaps I just need to research "How to set up a
                                                                              > newsgroup"
                                                                              > and try that. But posting here, this way, is downright exasperating.
                                                                              > Thanks
                                                                              > for any all help so far.
                                                                              >

• 36. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                                Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                                                I am posting from home... comcast cable. My 'puter is a Dell 700Mz with 256RAM and 27 Gig HD, of which 77% (20Gb) remains free. I don't have speed problems with any other website or discussion group I visit. No one else online with me or networked (it's the only computer on this cable hookup) into my home.

Really weird. I should be able to blaze through my typing without have the lag time I'm having. I fear that if I can't resolve even this most simple of problems posting here, I won't be able to visit and contribute/ask questions. Maybe that's a good thing for you folks! Hahahahahaaa.....
                                                                                • 37. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                                  Level 7
                                                                                  Airborne Bob wrote:
                                                                                  > I am posting from home... comcast cable. My 'puter is a Dell 700Mz with 256RAM

This will give you grief when you start using Dreamweaver and Fireworks.
                                                                                  I would say 512 minimum is what you need.

One thing you may be confused about is that signing up for a newsgroup
                                                                                  is a two-step process. When you establish your new account (and be sure
                                                                                  to use a bot-spoiler when entering your e-mail address, like Murray's
                                                                                  HAHA), you use the forums.macromedia.com address. Once that connection
                                                                                  has been made, then you can select the specific newsgroups you want to
                                                                                  subscribe to, such as dreamweaver, fireworks, appdev, etc.

Hope that helps get you further along! :-)
                                                                                  --
                                                                                  Bonnie
                                                                                  in California
                                                                                  8 ^ )
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                                    Airborne_Bob Level 1
                                                                                    Thank you Bonnie. I don't know what a bot-spoiler is and I'm afraid I've consumed far too much time with this around here for now. I will try to take this up with a moderator next week and try to get some step-by-step help from the people who run the board. They must know what is going on... can't believe no one else has ever had this problem here.

The minimum requirements for DW8 is 256, and I've been messing around with it without any hitches so far, but perhaps you're right...if I try to run other applications at the same time I may slow down. But so far, so good.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Please Help Me Get Started
                                                                                      Level 7
                                                                                      bot spoiler =

...
                                                                                      'forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com' (my listed forum email address)

We benefit from having you on NNTP too - that way we can lose the whining
                                                                                      about speed! 8)

--
                                                                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                                                                      ==================
                                                                                      ==================

news:ec4m54$ha3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                                      > Thank you Bonnie. I don't know what a bot-spoiler is and I'm afraid I've
                                                                                      > consumed far too much time with this around here for now. I will try to
                                                                                      > take
                                                                                      > this up with a moderator next week and try to get some step-by-step help
                                                                                      > from
                                                                                      > the people who run the board. They must know what is going on... can't
                                                                                      > believe
                                                                                      > no one else has ever had this problem here.
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > The minimum requirements for DW8 is 256, and I've been messing around with
                                                                                      > it
                                                                                      > without any hitches so far, but perhaps you're right...if I try to run
                                                                                      > other
                                                                                      > applications at the same time I may slow down. But so far, so good.
                                                                                      >

1 2 Previous Next