8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2012 3:21 PM by [Jongware]

ePub exporting question...

johnrdamico

Can I apply a background to all pages of an eBook when exporting to ePub?*

• 1. Re: ePub exporting question...
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Short answer: no.

That said, if you tell us what you’re trying to do, IN DETAIL, we might be able to offer some help.

Bob

• 2. Re: ePub exporting question...
            johnrdamico Level 1

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the response and short answer.  What I'm trying to do is this:  I have an inDesign document that has been used for printing booklets to teach people about CAM software.  The booklet has Master pages applied to the entire document - they are objects created in inDesign - a red bar at the top with grey underneath.  On many pages, there is a heading at the top that is white text with the content being over the grey area.  Is there any way to make the exported ePub have the same background or at least a grey background instead of white?

• 3. Re: ePub exporting question...

You’re going to have to live without those I’m afraid unless you want to go the fixed layout route…something I would discourage.

EPUB is a free flowing format that allows the reader to choose fonts and font sizes.

Bob

• 4. Re: ePub exporting question...
                Rik Ramsay Level 4

Bob Levine wrote:

You’re going to have to live without those I’m afraid unless you want to go the fixed layout route…something I would discourage.

Bob,

I was under the impression that an epub document is made up of a XHTML and CSS file in which case if you knew both those web languages, you could customize the 'look and feel' of the book to suit your needs. Granted you can't do this from InDesign but this might be a way to add the background image once exported.

• 5. Re: ePub exporting question...

And how exactly would propose to define the bounds of the page? As I said, you could it with fixed layout but I’m not in favor of this approach at all.

Bob

• 6. Re: ePub exporting question...
                    Rik Ramsay Level 4

You can specify page size  through media queries which change the style sheet depending on the users device. We need to do this with most HTML5 websites so we can create a custom look for each iPad, iPhone and desktop. This would probably work with your fixed layout. Without the fixed layout, at the very least you should be able to define the background color to be grey instead of white.

My knowledge on the epub side of things is minimal but it is something I have been looking into for future use, so the options available interest me.

• 7. Re: ePub exporting question...
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You can certainly change the global background of HTML content using CSS, and even have it react to the device orientation. I experimented with that a while ago: http://www.jongware.com/ipad/index.html (which is just a single sample page -- rotate your iPad to see the background color change, as that's all that page does).

But the OP is not talking about webpages. I would have to check, but it's imaginable that iBooks simply *ignores* background color settings. Even if it doesn't, that just means the OP's ePub will look "great" ("closer to its printed version" to be precise) on iBooks with its highly advanced CSS support. Other e-reading software and hardware may lag behind and do Not So Well.

• 8. Re: ePub exporting question...
                        [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

I said

>Other e-reading software and hardware may lag behind and do Not So Well.

-- imagine a device that does not support setting a background color but it *does* for changing the text color. What happens to white text if the background won't change to something else?