7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2012 10:29 PM by photodrawken RSS

Wrong Drive Letter After Using Restore Command PSE 9

Don26812 Community Member

I know this is an old subject, but it has a twist that I can't relate to other posts. So I'm posting a the question again. I have a client who has all of her pictures stored on an external Drive J, lets say. She also has a full backup using the PSE 9 Backup command that she stored a a second external Drive H. Drive J failed. She bought a new external Drive is named N, lets say.

At this point she uses the PSE 9 Restore command, which runs without errors. The problem is that all of her 30,000 images are disconnected. The Organizer thinks they are still on Drive J (her broken drive). and not on Drive N, the new drive.

I have only communicated with her via email and have not seen what exactly she is seeing. However, from what I can tell, she has been using the PSE 9 Backup/Restore command correctly.

I even simulated her process on PSE 9 and it worked fine.

John R. Ellis has published a lot of hints etc regarding problems for PSE 8 and earlier, and they keep coming up as I search.

Does anyone here have any idea what went wrong and obviously more importantly, how to get the PSE Catalog working again?

TIA

• 1. Re: Wrong Drive Letter After Using Restore Command PSE 9
          99jon MVP

You may need to let the software decide on the file structure.

File à Restore

Select Hard Drive/Other Volume and click the adjoining browse button

Navigate to the folder on your external hdd, select the back up (tly) file and click open.

Go to specify Destination <NONE> and click the adjoining browse button.

I recommend you navigate to Pictures or My Pictures

When you see the message “the restore was successful” you will probably see a flashing message (bottom left in Organizer) which says opening catalog.

You will also get a message: The catalog named ……….psa could not be found. Please open or create a different catalog - click OK.

In the catalog dialog click New

If you see a message saying you have chosen the original file structure and new folders may need to be created - click Yes.

• 2. Re: Wrong Drive Letter After Using Restore Command PSE 9

First, thank you for the prompt reply. I'm not sure I understand, what it is your are doing.

The second paragraph appears to be simply using the Restore command. and in the bottom line, you suggest restoring the catalog/pictures to the Pictures folder. To begin with, it sounds like you are simply recommending restoring the catalog to the C drive somewhere, eg My Pictures rather then to her new external drive. I do not know if she has enough room on her C drive to hold the Catalog and pictures. That is why she had them stored on an external drive to begin with.

But assuming she has enough space to do as you suggest, I don't really understand why you would be getting the follow-on questions after the Restore command completes. In the multitude of times I've used the Backup/Restore, I don't recall ever seeing those messages. PSE simply regenerates the thumbnail cache and is ready for use. What am I missing here?

Is it being generated because of something not quite right in her original backup file?

Again, thanks for the prompt reply. Hope you don't mind continuing this dialog.

• 3. Re: Wrong Drive Letter After Using Restore Command PSE 9
              99jon MVP

No I’m not suggesting everything gets put on the C drive. Things will work best with the catalog and program files on the C drive but the images will happily sit on an external hdd. It’s possible to set up a Pictures folder there and mark it as the watch folder.

I really think you perhaps need to find a way to rename the drive letter N as J and ensure the USB connection is attached to the same port as usual. Then, when doing the restore try selecting new location.

I know this has worked in the past; so good luck.

• 4. Re: Wrong Drive Letter After Using Restore Command PSE 9

Again, thanks so much for replying. When you used the term "Pictures" I thought you were referring to the standard Windows folder. And your point re. the Catalog being on the C drive with the pictures on the external is the normal way for me if the pictures and CAtalog are not both on an internal drive.

So it seems, unless I missed something, your suggestion is exactly what she did in the first place, and what I was able to simulate with no problems encountered. I still don't understand the questions/answers at the end of the steps you outlined, since I've never seen those at the end of a successful restore.

This leaves us to the following:

"I really think you perhaps need to find a way to rename the drive letter N as J and ensure the USB connection is attached to the same port as usual. Then, when doing the restore try selecting new location."

That is what it looks like to me.

I have not played with reassigning drive letters for many years. Guess I better brush up on that.

Thanks again for your replies. I wonder just what went wrong that caused the Restore command to get confused? All along, I've assumed her Backup was valid, since the process is quite straight forward.

• 5. Re: Wrong Drive Letter After Using Restore Command PSE 9
                  photodrawken Community Member

Reassigning the drive letter won't work, because PSE uses both the drive letter and the drive's ID number to keep track of the images.

You have two choices:

1. Use Organizer's Reconnect...All Missing Files, pause the reconnection and browse to your new N: drive to set it for the reconnection.  Let the reconnection run overnight, if necessary.
                  2. If you know (or know someone who knows) how to run SQL queries against a database, see this discussion:
                    http://forums.adobe.com/message/3650807#3650807

Choice #2 is very fast, but for advanced users only.  If you or any of your Impossible Mission data should become damaged, the Secretary will disavow any knowlege of your actions. Good luck, Don. 

Ken

• 6. Re: Wrong Drive Letter After Using Restore Command PSE 9

THanks for the input. Number 1 in taking place now. Progress is slow, but it appears to be working for her.

• 7. Re: Wrong Drive Letter After Using Restore Command PSE 9
                      photodrawken Community Member

That's a good solution.  I'm sure she'll be OK when it finishes.

Ken