2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2012 3:34 PM by wolverine.ks

Audition Repair Clips - Video Equivalent in Premiere/After Effects

wolverine.ks Level 1

I recently saw a presentation with Jason Levine about Audition (oops, let me pick that up), and he showed us the Repair Clipped Audio function.

I'm thinking it would be cool to have that in Premiere or After Effects, but instead of for audio, have it for video.

Stated differently, if there is a video that has exposure 'clipping', you could then 'normalize' the brightness and then 'repair the clipping'.

Is there any use for things like this?

Thanks.

-wolv

• 1. Re: Audition Repair Clips - Video Equivalent in Premiere/After Effects
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I didn't see that presentation, but I bet it came with an admonition: "This trick can't work miracles."

The problem with overexposed video is lack of image detail in the too-bright portions of the image.  You can certainly selectively reduce brightness in the too-bright sections, but they start looking like blank pieces of plastic.

You can replace some detail using AE by using the least-overexposed color channel for detail, but again: that trick won't work miracles.

• 2. Re: Audition Repair Clips - Video Equivalent in Premiere/After Effects
            wolverine.ks Level 1

Interesting, Ill have to try that After Effects trick.

In Audition, its super easy to fix the clipped audio. You scan the audio, it detects clips, you reduce the overall volume, and it will extrapolate where the peaks were flattened to restore some of the peaks. If there ever were a feature that did that for overexposure, some algorithm that could extrapolate slightly into the overexposed part, that would be awesome, or something that would normalize and compress the exposure of each color channel. That would be a neat trick for premiere to steal from audition.

Thanks.

-wolv