8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 8:44 AM by John T Smith

PRE 10 No Audio for DVD Media on DVD player

dennisbthomas Level 1

When I create a DVD, with audio, there is no audio when played on a player but it plays ok on the computer.

Project. (DV NTSC)

I have tried the following without success.

1. Wav file on the soundtrack then audio 2 track

2. Converted wav file to mp3 same results.

3. A new mp3 same results.

I deleted all files in the following directories:

Media Cache, Preview Files, Encoded Files

Computer

Wind 7/64bit with pre 10 (all lastest updates)

Intel i7-870 with 8GB of memory

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

• 1. Re: PRE 10 No Audio for DVD Media on DVD player
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If it works okay on the computer, then it's not a software-related issue. The program did successfully create a DVD.

The problem is most likely some sort of incompability with your DVD player. Some players do have problems playing home-burned discs. So my first suggestion would be to try it on a friend's DVD player and see if the audio plays on it.

• 2. Re: PRE 10 No Audio for DVD Media on DVD player
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also... something to try

Create a DVD folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Imgburn will read the ACTUAL disc brand from the disc, which is not always the same as the box label (Memorex is notorious for buying "anything" and putting it inside a Memorex box)

When you write to disc with Imgburn, use the slowest possible speed setting, so your burner has the best chance to create "good, well formed" laser burn holes... since no DVD player is required to read a burned disc, having a "good" one from a high quality blank will help

Use Taiyo Yuden single layer or Verbatim Two layer

Or Falcon Pro for inkjet printable Two layer

• 3. Re: PRE 10 No Audio for DVD Media on DVD player
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

As others have stated, if the DVD plays fine on the computer, then it is most likely an issue between the DVD player and the reciever.

In similar cases, users have had the wrong setting for the audio on the receiver, or a loose, or detached cable. I would check your home theater setup completely, and test with a commercially replicated DVD. Do you get full audio from that?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PRE 10 No Audio for DVD Media on DVD player
                VDOSurfer Level 3

What happens with DVDs created from other sources? If they also play without audio, the connector between the DVD Player and the TV could also be checked. If it is an S-Video, that could be the problem. Composite (Reg, White, Yellow) connectors have the video assigned to the yellow pin and the red and white to audio. Component cables (again, no audio) need an external audio connector between TV and the DVD Player, like the S-Video.

(Now you'll kill me for this..) Check if the DVD Player or the TV is muted..

• 5. Re: PRE 10 No Audio for DVD Media on DVD player
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Those are good suggestions, and especially the S-Video. Many are unaware that it is the Video signal only.

When others experience similar, it is almost always a connection, or setting (thanks for the Mute suggestion). We see this a lot in the PrPro forum, where folk are doing DD 5.1 SS, and it only plays as stereo - most are because of system connections, or the settings on the receiver. For those instances, testing with a commercial DVD, with DD 5.1 SS Stream, usually reveals that it, too, only plays in stereo. If one tests with a DTS stream, they usually will get no Audio.

Lots of things and places to check.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PRE 10 No Audio for DVD Media on DVD player
                    dennisbthomas Level 1

Problem(s) solved!

I used another project with the same audio files but obviously different source and cuts.

This one didn't use any menu markers.

It worked on the same DVD+RW, and two different DVD/TV's.

So I took a look at the menu makers for the original project.

I removed the stop marker at the end of the project.

The also noticed that the start menu makers weren't at the beginning of a clip (a few frames to the left).

Also the stop marker for the previous menu item was more that 6 frames from the next start menu.

With these changes everything works great.

What is embarassing is that I encountered a similar problem with the markers on Jan 12, 2012.

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/4137823#4137823)

Does Adobe read this forum or is there a better place to submit the problem to them?

Thanks for everyones suggestions and help.

Dennis

• 7. Re: PRE 10 No Audio for DVD Media on DVD player
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

To contact Adobe, click the Contact Adobe link at the bottom of any page on this web site, Dennis.

• 8. Re: PRE 10 No Audio for DVD Media on DVD player
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>place to submit the problem

Or...

Bug Report and Feature Request https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform