9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 3:09 PM by Todd Rein

Where did my column headings go in my Responses and Summary?

MKKLevaggi

We deleted a couple of the test answers out of the responses after creating a survey (by selecting and removing the entire row) and the headings to the response columns (the Questions) cleared out as well.  Why did that happen and what would be the easy way to keep that from happening again (aside from not deleting our answers)??  The question disappeared from both the response report as well as the summary report.

• 1. Re: Where did my column headings go in my Responses and Summary?
          RandySwineford Adobe Employee

You probably (and unknowingly) had the column heading selected. In the lower right corner of the View response tab is a clock - click it. This shows you a history slider. You can go back into history to find your data. The data is read only in this case so you can copy it and paste it back into the current version of the table.

Randy

• 2. Re: Where did my column headings go in my Responses and Summary?
            danberg5

I have had a chat session with Adobe FormCentral three times about this very same issue.  All three representatives from India suggested what Randy Swineford suggested above.  However, the problem is the copy and paste method of getting your headings back does not work.  It creates a new record which the system treats as data rather than a heading in the "View Responses" window.  If you sort and export your data, the heading line will be buried in the middle of your file, rendering the file useless.  Any formulas you change in your extra columns will override any heading values, corrupting your "replacement" heading.

There is a bug in the Adobe FormCentral system that randomly causes this issue.  Until tech support resolves this issue (and repairs everyone's file that has been corrupted), we will have to use this as an extremly difficult workaround.

• 3. Re: Where did my column headings go in my Responses and Summary?
              Todd Rein Level 3

Hi,

For the copy/paste to work - before you paste, please be sure you are selecting the header row by clicking in it. If you select the first regular row, then it will paste in that row, so it's important you select a cell in the header row.

Thanks,

Todd

• 4. Re: Where did my column headings go in my Responses and Summary?
                danberg5 Level 1

Todd -

Here is a screen shot of my delima.  I have almost a thousand responses in this table.  I am scrolled all the way to the top.  As you can see, what appears to be the heading row is actually a data row (it has a data record number 5 on the left).  This is the row that Adobe Tech Support had me add to the table. In this row, column A, record 5 (the psuedo heading row) has the formula:  = LOCALTIME(ROWCREATEDATE()).  If I try to put a value of "Time Submitted" in this cell, all of the Time Submitted values disappear for all records in the table.  Also if you scroll down to the next page of rows, that line will disappear.

The second screen shot shows a new "Test" form I just created.  It has a header row that has no data record number.  You cannot delete this row by any means available to an Adobe FormCentral user.  If I have more than one page of data, it stays on the top row.  This is what I need to have my big table behave.

I have Case #0183103915 open to resolve this issue, however, it has been almost a week and all we have received is a boiler plate auto generated email.  I don't know if someone is working on the issue or if our issue have fallen through the cracks...

Test Form

• 5. Re: Where did my column headings go in my Responses and Summary?
                  danberg5 Level 1

For some reason, copy and pasting images in this forum doesn't work.  Here is my screen shots.

2.PNG

• 7. Re: Where did my column headings go in my Responses and Summary?
                    danberg5 Level 1

So Todd, if you look closely at my screen shots above, ther IS NO HEADING ROW available to paste as you suggested above.  The Psudeo heading row that Tech Support had me add got sorted down somewhere in the middle of the data.  If you click in the row where the heading letters are, it selects all rows and all columns (just like Microsoft Excel).

• 8. Re: Where did my column headings go in my Responses and Summary?
                      Todd Rein Level 3

Thanks for the screenshots, it's very helpful.  I understand the problem now.  There's an option to hide the header rows, which is getting turned on in your table.  I'm not clear on how that's happening, because we disable that in the main response table (it's available if you add other tables).  Let me research it and get back to you. 

Also, it'd be helpful if you wouldn't mind sharing your form to me, trein@adobe.com (you can share by clicking the share button on the bottom left, then click add collaborators).

• 9. Re: Where did my column headings go in my Responses and Summary?
                        Todd Rein Level 3

I've still not been able to reproduce your issue.  Can you share your form to me?  It will help us a lot in diagnosing the cause.