36 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2017 1:39 AM by MuraliBlog

Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign

GArshamA Level 1

I have CS5.  I'm working on a multipage document in InDesign and I want to bring in a multipage PDF document into that InDesign document.  For some reason, when I do File>Place, it brings in the first page of the PDF (with perfect formatting) but the other pages do not come in.  Is there some other setting that I'm missing to capture all pages of the PDF to transfer into the same number of pages in my InDesign document?

• 1. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you choose File > Place, in the Place dialog box, check Choose Import Options. Then you'll be presented with a screen where you can choose the pages to place.

14 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

GArshamA wrote:

[...]   Is there some other setting that I'm missing to capture all pages of the PDF to transfer into the same number of pages in my InDesign document?

No, there is no such option. Steve's suggestion does pop up a dialog so you can select page 2, page 3, etc. -- and even "all" -- but InDesign does not create the pages for you, as it does with text.

Use Scott Zanelli's script for this: http://indesignsecrets.com/zanelli-releases-multipageimporter-for-importing-both-pdf-and-i ndd-files.php

• 3. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
              tman69 Level 3

there IS such an optionScreen shot 2012-03-22 at 3.11.37 PM.jpgScreen shot 2012-03-22 at 3.11.13 PM.jpg

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                lilia@ Level 2

You can load your cursor with All Pages as shows above by tman, then just click to place... either in a frame or to margins (depends what you're doing I guess). Make sure you have set frame fitting options first.

• 5. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                  Grant H Level 4

this question has been discussed to death on this forum... search the forum.

G

• 6. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                    [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Read the OP's question:

Is there some other setting that I'm missing to capture all pages of the PDF to transfer into the same number of pages in my InDesign document?

(my emphasis). Now please point out where you see that option in the dialog ...

Scott's script is the best way to do this.

• 7. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                      dereklink3055@gmail.com Level 1

Is there no way to bring all pages in at one time or do I need to click 69 times if there are 69 pages?

• 8. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There's a link to a script in response #2. Use it.

• 9. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                          aafrempong Level 1

To place multiple pages in Indesign effortlessly

Step 1: Go to file>>New>>Document, Fill in the number of pages and first page. (Do not mix up the number 

of pages and the first page boxes). Also if you want single pages, uncheck the facing pages and   

check the single page (make sure only one of these is checked)

Step 2: From Window (on the Tools Bar) go to Utilities>>Scripts

Step 3: In the appearing panel,Click Applications> then scripts>>then javascripts.

Step 4: Under javascripts scroll down to "placemultiplePDFpages and double-click it.

Step 5: In the appearing "choose File box" search for the pdf you want to place in Indesign and clck open.   

You will see a message"place pdf in new document. Click OK, Followed by another OK( message

Indesign document) and relax to enjoy watching the placement being done for you automatically. 

You do not have even have to touch the mouse.

7 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                            aafrempong Level 1

To place multiple pages in Indesign effortlessly  (Using Applescript)

Step 1: Go to file>>New>>Document, Fill in the number of pages and  Start page. (Do not mix up the number 

of pages and the Start page boxes). Also if you want single pages, uncheck the facing pages and   

check the Primary Test Frame (make sure only one of these is checked)

Step 3: In the appearing panel,Click Applications> then scripts>>then Applescripts

Step 4: Under Applescripots scroll down to "placemultipagePDF.applescript and double-click it.

Step 5: In the appearing "choose File box" search for the pdf you want to place in Indesign and clck open.   

You will see a message"Place pdf " Start page (enter start page and Click OK,

Relax to enjoy watching the placement being done for you automatically. 

You do not  even have to touch the mouse.

About using either the applescript or javascript: The applescript produced single pages, but the javascript 

produced facing pages, even though the same settings were selected in Step 1. There might have been   

some computer sensitivity.

A. A. Frempong

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                              gert verrept Level 2

Scott Zanelli's script is the best option. Create a new doc with at least one page in it. Run the script (see link above), fill in the right settings (where to start, offset left or right, transparent background ...) and click run. I use it to place sometime 300 pages in to a file. takes me less that one minute.

• 12. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Gert here. While the placemultiplePDFpages script that ships with ID will perform the task, Scott Zanelli's script goes above and beyond, letting users:

• place in logical or reverse page order;
                                • Allow the PDFs (or INDD pages) to either fit to page or scale proportionally to a user-entered amount;
                                • Choose the alignment point of the incoming files based on a 9-point proxy that can be rotated or offset;
                                • Choose the desired area box to use (trim, media, crop, bleed, art)
                                • Allows the incoming files to import onto their own layer
                                • 13. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                  bmotzbmotz Level 1

Thank you for explaining specifically why this is the superior method.

• 14. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                    krystalr587712 Level 1

Thank you! Thank you! I used to do this in CS5 and hadn't been able to find it or figure it out in CS6. This will save me some time.

• 15. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                      Condolezza Level 1

Perfect! I owe you an hour of my life that this would have taken me to do manually.

• 16. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign

Zanelli's script is light-years better than the one that ships in the samples. Used it myself two days ago to do a 4-up layout of a quarter-page format directory.

• 17. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                          lesleyw4856338 Level 1

I'm using Indesign CC 2015 and I'm unable to load the script. Am I missing something? Does it not work with CC?

• 18. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign

Zanelli's script should work fine, as far as I know, but if there's a problem you could put it into a subfolder named "Version 7.0 Scripts" (case sensitive, but without the quotes).

• 19. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                              Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

FYI it works fine on ID version 11.3.0.34 on a mac running El Capitan 10.11.3.

I know it doesn't work on every PDF though, and the PDF that is being imported is usually to blame - anything from media boxes not set correctly, to inherent errors with the PDF when it was created (e.g. if it was created from a source other than a CC application).

• 20. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                Pat481 Level 1

My fear is that an abode's customer relations or QA will read this thread and think to themselves "Well that problem is solved, no need to do anything about that" instead of "holy crap, this is a glaring omission from our software that is inconveniencing many and a couple of people have put together solutions in their bedrooms over a weekend why didn't we solve this 8 years ago?"

• 21. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                  herve_rhodamine Level 1

Hello Guys,

I've read this thread. The Zanelli's solution is quiet good for a document that have several pages, and for the user who want all this pages joined in a new indesign document and in separate pages. Furthermore, i've got a problem :

I’m under Indesign CS6. I’ve a made an indesign document called Master_file.ind composed of 50 blank pages. Each page contains 5 empty image blocs. I want to load a bunch of 500 .indd files (each file has just 1 page) in these 5 blocs in each page until all is done.
                                                  Do you know if there’s a script for that ? The Zanelli's script doesn't work for that.

Help welcome !
                                                  E’

• 22. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                    philippanmei Level 4

<Removed by Moderator>worte:

Step 1: Go to file>>New>>Document, Fill in the number of pages and first page.

Good one but Creating a New Document and fill pages this is ridiculous. Just open up the Script dialog box (Press Ctrl+Alt+F11) and choose "PlaceMultiPagesPDF"  and double click on it with no document open, no creating a new document.

Thanks

• 23. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                      philippanmei Level 4

This script works fine for me

//PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx

//An InDesign JavaScript

/* 

@@@BUILDINFO@@@ "PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx" 3.0.0 15 December 2009

*/

//Places all of the pages of a multi-page PDF.

//

main();

function main(){

//Make certain that user interaction (display of dialogs, etc.) is turned on.

app.scriptPreferences.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevels.interactWithAll;

//Display a standard Open File dialog box.

var myPDFFile = File.openDialog("Choose a PDF File");

if((myPDFFile != "")&&(myPDFFile != null)){

var myDocument, myPage;

if(app.documents.length != 0){

var myTemp = myChooseDocument();

myDocument = myTemp[0];

myNewDocument = myTemp[1];

}

else{

myDocument = app.documents.add();

myNewDocument = false;

}

alert(myDocument.constructor.name);

if(myNewDocument == false){

myPage = myChoosePage(myDocument);

}

else{

myPage = myDocument.pages.item(0);

}

myPlacePDF(myDocument, myPage, myPDFFile);

}

}

function myChooseDocument(){

var myDocumentNames = new Array;

myDocumentNames.push("New Document");

//Get the names of the documents

for(var myDocumentCounter = 0;myDocumentCounter < app.documents.length; myDocumentCounter++){

myDocumentNames.push(app.documents.item(myDocumentCounter).name);

}

var myChooseDocumentDialog = app.dialogs.add({name:"Choose a Document", canCancel:false});

with(myChooseDocumentDialog.dialogColumns.add()){

with(dialogRows.add()){

with(dialogColumns.add()){

staticTexts.add({staticLabel:"Place PDF in:"});

}

var myChooseDocumentDropdown = dropdowns.add({stringList:myDocumentNames, selectedIndex:0});

}

}

}

var myResult = myChooseDocumentDialog.show();

if(myResult == true){

if(myChooseDocumentDropdown.selectedIndex == 0){

myDocument = app.documents.add();

myNewDocument = true;

}

else{

myDocument = app.documents.item(myChooseDocumentDropdown.selectedIndex-1);

myNewDocument = false;

}

myChooseDocumentDialog.destroy();

}

else{

myDocument = "";

myNewDocument = "";

myChooseDocumentDialog.destroy();

}

return [myDocument, myNewDocument];

}

function myChoosePage(myDocument){

alert(myDocument.name);

var myPageNames = new Array;

//Get the names of the pages in the document

for(var myCounter = 0; myCounter < myDocument.pages.length;myCounter++){

myPageNames.push(myDocument.pages.item(myCounter).name);

}

var myChoosePageDialog = app.dialogs.add({name:"Choose a Page", canCancel:false});

with(myChoosePageDialog.dialogColumns.add()){

with(dialogRows.add()){

staticTexts.add({staticLabel:"Place PDF on:"});

}

var myChoosePageDropdown = dropdowns.add({stringList:myPageNames, selectedIndex:0});

}

}

}

myChoosePageDialog.show();

var myPage = myDocument.pages.item(myChoosePageDropdown.selectedIndex);

myChoosePageDialog.destroy();

return myPage;

}

function myPlacePDF(myDocument, myPage, myPDFFile){

var myPDFPage;

app.pdfPlacePreferences.pdfCrop = PDFCrop.cropMedia;

var myCounter = 1;

var myBreak = false;

while(myBreak == false){

if(myCounter > 1){

myPage = myDocument.pages.add(LocationOptions.after, myPage);

}

app.pdfPlacePreferences.pageNumber = myCounter;

myPDFPage = myPage.place(File(myPDFFile), [0,0])[0];

if(myCounter == 1){

var myFirstPage = myPDFPage.pdfAttributes.pageNumber;

}

else{

if(myPDFPage.pdfAttributes.pageNumber == myFirstPage){

myPage.remove();

myBreak = true;

}

}

myCounter = myCounter + 1;

}

}

• 24. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                        aaronadoty01 Level 1

Brilliant! Worked perfectly on a 136 page document.

• 25. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                          aafrempong Level 1

After placing the document in Indesign, using the script in Indesign, one can move a document in a page by pressing the mouse on the page and moving the mouse up, down, to the right or to the left. This action is especially useful when centering the document in the page, since after using the script not all the documents would be properly centered.

A. A. Frempong

• 26. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                            aafrempong Level 1

From above, if on press-moving the mouse, the blank page and the placed material move together, you can do the following: 1. Click the selection tool (the white arrow) before press-moving the mouse in the page;

or  2. On the Mac, you can simultaneously press the command key while press-moving the mouse in the page (this option is more work)

AAF

• 27. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                              qitti66 Level 1

This was AWESOME advice!!
                                                              Thank you!!
                                                              Jouna

• 28. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                                CusTomer29 Level 1

Works! Awesome advice GArshamA ! ©Adobe should notice your help ! I'm happy google ranked you high ! Tomer

• 29. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                                  ralucan94198959 Level 1

Thank you soooo much !!! best explanation EVER

• 30. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                                    davidhmorgan Level 1

Hi all,

I've had the same issue and have been using Zanelli's script in general which has been a lifesaver. Zanelli's script will place one PDF page per Indesign page. However I recently had a need to place a multiple paged PDF into a grid of pre-existing image frames. I want to do this sometimes when I'm putting an existing document into a "presentation" document for review. Placing PDFs is much faster than placing Indesign files by the way.

So I wrote an AppleScript that does this and I'd love to share it with you all for review. I also improved it by giving the option to place not just a multiple paged PDF into existing image frames but also a whole folder of images (which may also contain PDFs). If there aren't enough picture frames selected on the page to hold all the PDF pages or images in the folder, there is the option to let the script duplicate the original page and continue filling the boxes until all images or pages have been placed.

Try it out and let me know what you think!

Place multiple paged PDF into existing image frames – Dr Scripto

Regards,

David

• 31. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                                      garryv46809827 Level 1

How do I place the pdf with format Trimbox or whatever box, can I change this in the JavaScript?

• 32. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                                        lindas19701189 Level 1

The advice about placing multiple pages at once seems sound:

"

Step 1: Go to file>>New>>Document, Fill in the number of pages and first page. (Do not mix up the number 

of pages and the first page boxes). Also if you want single pages, uncheck the facing pages and   

check the single page (make sure only one of these is checked)

Step 3: In the appearing panel,Click Applications> then scripts>>then javascripts.

Step 4: Under javascripts scroll down to "placemultiplePDFpages and double-click it.,

etc.

But what if I see n scripts under Utilities>>Scripts? How do I add Javascripts and Utilities>>Scripts to InDesign?

• 33. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                                          lindas19701189 Level 1

". . . no scripts" was omitted in previous note: What if I see no scripts . . .?

• 34. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                                            pabloc50793819 Level 1

I wish I had known this script earlier ! A pity it's not integrated into the "Fiule -> import" menu.

But I have another request.

Instead of simply import a "page by page" PDF file, I would like IDD to be able to import, 6 x A6 format PDF pages into a single IDD page.

I have a huge PDF file (almost text) of 2646 page that I have already split into 1323 recto and 1323 verso pages.

So I need to place into IDD, page1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 from my PDF file onto a SRA3 IDD page.

In total I would have a file of 166 IDD pages for my recto and another 166 IDD pages for my verso.

The idea is to be able to print the recto and then the verso on S3A3 paper size.

Any suggestion ?

Thank you so much !

Pablo

• 35. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                                              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In your Scripts>Sample Folder there should be a script named ImageCatalog, which lets you make catalogs of image assets and it would work with single page PDFs. You could use AcrobatPro's Organize Pages tool to extract the PDFs into single pages saved to a folder, then run the script.

• 36. Re: Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign
                                                                                MuraliBlog Level 1

Hello guys,

Having experiencing on importing pdf into indesign file.

Its working fine by using "PlaceMutliplePagePDF.jsx".

But I have the 10 pdf and 10 10 indesign files.

these 10 pdf pages should be imported into respective indesign file.

Is there any script/help available from any of you.

thanks,

murali