3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 12:56 PM by Petteri_Paananen

problems with button functions

kirkec

I had uploaded a file to be accessed by clicking a button in a newsletter. After exporting to an Interactive PDF the button worked on my PC, however was hit or miss among various other PC's. On some I tried opening it on, it acted like a broken link, and on others it opened like it was supposed to. The version of Adobe Reader seemed to not influence which PC it opened or did not open on (as I tried a variety). I'm not sure how to remedy this, my solution was to simply create a hyperlink to the file on the departments website until I can figure out why the button function is not consistent once exported. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: problems with button functions
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

How are you distributing the PDF newsletter (posted on web site, attached to email, etc.) ?

Is PDF opening directly in Reader or opening through browser with PDF plugin?

Where does the external file reside (website, intranet, etc.) ?

Is this truly a button with action to open external file? or hyerlink to open external file?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: problems with button functions
            kirkec Level 1

I distribute both by attaching the file to an email, and I upload the PDF to our internal website. The PDF on most computers the users have will open with the reader, though I'm sure there are a number of PC's company wide that may use the browser plugin. The computers I accessed to test on, however, all opened with some version of the reader. The external file I placed in the document was from a shared network drive. My quickfix was to  create a hyperlink to where it is located on our intranet department page. I set it as an action button to an external file, however I think the original preset for this button was  a hyperlink. Perhaps I didn't correctly change the action of the button?

• 3. Re: problems with button functions
              Petteri_Paananen Level 4

if some of your end users are using Macs, it´s possible that PDF opens into Mac´s Preview, which has very poor support for interactive stuff...