9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 10:43 AM by Jim_Simon

Desktop System

icaribou Level 1

I am wanting to get into Video Editing (I do web design) and I am thinking of buying a new desktop anyways. What is the specs I should look at? Any suggestions. I perfer a made one over a "home built" one.

• 2. Re: Desktop System
          icaribou Level 1

Would Alienware be a good system?

• 3. Re: Desktop System
            TradeWind Level 3

ikarios wrote:

Would Alienware be a good system?

Probably not. There is a lot of stuff that goes into a good solid gaming system that is not at all relevant to video editing. There are some crossovers, but if you are avoiding a home-built solution, then you probably want to stick to either a Dell or HP workstation, or go with one of the companies like ADK or ProMax that builds editing workstations exclusively.

As you probably know, the cost to have a built out system is substantially larger than building one on your own (sometimes 2x the cost or more). The justification for that cost is you have peace of mind and a company that will help you solve problems WHEN you run into them. They also do all the legwork on building your system so you don't have to spend time researching the best parts for your system. The end result in terms of quality, speed, and so on between a home built versus a professionally built system is very little difference, so you are mainly deciding how comfortable you are being your own personal tech support.

Alienware isn't a bad line of products (they're owned by Dell now) but it's one of the last system builders I'd recommend for editing.

Some considerations you'll want to make:

- Are you editing HD footage? If so, is it uncompressed, P2, AVCHD? Every format requires a different consideration as far as RAM, CPU and hard drive configuration are concerned.

- Do you need a LOT of storage? That is, are you doing a lot of projects and/or are you using heavy duty video formats?

- How many programs are you going to be running at a time? Premiere Pro and After Effects? Photoshop and Premiere Pro?

- Do you need dedicated hardware card(s) for audio editing, or will you be needing to record audio directly into Premiere Pro or Audition?

- How many display screens do you need?

And no matter what, you want to be sure you get a qualified Nvidia GPU. Which one you should choose has a lot to do with your overall budget, but most of them are all pretty good and much better than going without GPU (Mercury) enhancements.

• 4. Re: Desktop System
              icaribou Level 1

Well, I have used an Alienware for graphic and web design before. Actually use a run of the mill Inspiron N7110 currently with just an i3 and 3GB of Ram lol

I am looking into it. Getting repairs is pointless. I am in American Samoa. It would take a week just to get to Flordia for the repairs. But I do like AW's support for the phone. They know their #$%.

I will for sure want to edit HD in time. I am just getting going in video editing. I have been mainly a Print and Web until now.

I am wanting my company to be a full-fledge media company and that means doing commericals. You would be amazed how bad the local ads on TV suck.

• 5. Re: Desktop System
                TradeWind Level 3

Yeah, Alienware isn't bad, just not usually very well geared for HD production or video production in general. Their customer service, good as it may be, probably won't be able to help you if you run into issues related to video editing, since they are a gaming computer.

I'd recommend the HP workstations, they're very good. The HP support is pretty good, not spectacular. The best customer support will be from a company like ProMax that only does media systems. You're still talking about a couple thousand bucks regardless.

• 6. Re: Desktop System
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

I am wanting to get into Video Editing

That requires more than just the tools of the trade.

http://www.filmschool.org/

• 7. Re: Desktop System
                    icaribou Level 1

LOL.... have to start somewhere, right?

• 8. Re: Desktop System
                      TradeWind Level 3

Jim Simon wrote:

I am wanting to get into Video Editing

That requires more than just the tools of the trade.

http://www.filmschool.org/

Trust me, you can get into production without having a degree. Most of the people I know who work daily in film production on major motion pictures and television NEVER got a degree of any kind. That's not to say that school - or specifically, film school - can't or isn't a valuable resource. It's just that if you're deteremined enough and have an internet connection, you can probably figure out a lot of stuff on your own.

Copied and pasted from the website that Jim referenced:

"You might be curious about exactly why it would be considered a benefit to bypass film school. After all, don’t successful film makers need to go to school in order to learn how to create a film? The truthful answer is that while film school can be a very valuable asset to have, it is not something that is required. The internet as well as connections can go a long way towards providing you with all of the information that film school would offer you. This can save you a lot of money, plus allow you additional time to really look into all of your options for creating a film exactly how you want to."

• 9. Re: Desktop System
                        Jim_Simon Level 9

Agreed.  That's why I put up the link.

While I'm often a proponent of a formal education, the larger issue is simply education, whether formal or informal.  That site provides some good resources for both.