8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 6:20 AM by Peter Spier

HELP!

Christopher_Engelhardt Level 1

For some reason today we have been having tons of computer problems. I have two computers that are critical to production and are erroring up when we attempt to open a INDD or InDesign itself. All and any help would be great because we are on deadline...

Computer 1's issues:

Error Report1.jpg

Error Report2.jpg

Computer 2's issues:

Error4.jpg

Error Report3.jpg

• 1. Re: HELP!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Unfortunately those repports don't help much.

You should try renaming or emptying the InDesign Recovery folder in your user profile and see if ID will launch without opening a file. There's a strong probability that you have some sort of corrupt recovery data that just keeps crashing ID on re-launch.

Next thing is to try a new user account and see if your file will open.

• 2. Re: HELP!
            Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Are you using the Indesign cs4 on the windows NT 5.1?

• 3. Re: HELP!
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

NT 5.1 is XP

Bob

• 4. Re: HELP!

I will have to try what you suggested. Now that you gave a possible fix it makes sense that it may be a bad file. Should I run ccleaner and a defrag too?

• 5. Re: HELP!
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You should run ccleaner and defragler on a fairly regular basis anyway...IMO.

Great utilities that don't cost a dime, though it wouldn't hurt to throw the developers a few bucks through PayPal.

Bob

• 6. Re: HELP!

With XP you might also be ableto find a Dr. Watson log. 

That should have more useful information about your crash (as I recall though, the logs are cumulative, so you need to scroll through and find the right entry).

• 7. Re: HELP!

Peter,

I tried what you suggested and it worked...but, as soon as ID was closed and restarted it happened again. There is no way that I'm going to have to do this everytime somebody starts ID on those two computers. There is no way it's just too much of a hassel. What can I do to fix this, has anyone ever heard of something like this happening? How do I know what/where to find a Dr. Watson log?

• 8. Re: HELP!

Not sure from your response which of the things I suggested worked -- clearing the recovery data or the new user. In either case, though, if ID didn't crash while you were using it, but crashes on relaunch, there is some sort of really serious problem with the program. Can you please clarify the whole sequence of what you are doing.

Off the top of my head I don't recall where to look for Dr.Watson logs -- the exe file itself is in Windows > System 32. I've only got an XP virtual machine on this box, and it's hardly ever been run and never crashed, so I don't have a crash log to locate. Try searching for *watson* and *watson*.log (XP can return differnt results when you add an extension sometimes) and see what comes up.