3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 3:08 PM by dh91

Can someone help me understand this?

dh91 Level 1

Hey all. I have my own thinkings for this but I wanted to see if the professionals may know what's going on.

I recreated the Fringe theme a month ago, then spent the last several days making it better. There is one particular area that turned out better, but i'm not entirely sure why.

Okay, here is the original.

Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 11.07.07 AM.png

And here is the improved version.

Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 11.07.29 AM.png

I think it's pretty obvious, the hair blends so much better with the bright background. It's a much more natural effect, like what would happen if there truly was a bright light there. I made the hair in Cinema 4D, then rendered with an alpha channel and did the rest in After Effects.

My first thought was that it had something to do with me rendering in 32bit float, but i'm 99.9% sure I rendered the first sequence in 32 bit. I changed the color of the background to more of a blue, but that shouldn't make too much of a difference should it? The only possible change I can think of is when I went back to fix this part in C4D (apart from making the hair straighter), I enabled something called ambient occlusion. The only reason I did this was because I was watching a videocopilot tutorial and AK enabled Ambient Occlusion because he said something about it looking more realistic.

Do you think this Ambient Occlusion is responsible? If you need more info please just let me know.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can someone help me understand this?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

AO doesn't to anything like that and that aside it only makes sense with sharp crevices and/or objects being realyl near to one another... You may simply have picked a different image format and bit depth in C4D and it's now affecting your output in just the same manner like effects in AE look different at different bit depths...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can someone help me understand this?
            TimeRemapper Level 4

As Mylenium suggested, Ambient Occlusion only affects shadows. It doesn't have anything to do with increasing light intensity. It looks like you may have added an adjustment layer with a glow on it (inside of AE), or, perhaps you changed the transfer mode of your footage or one of the layers in your composition to "add" or "screen" (or something similar).

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can someone help me understand this?
              dh91 Level 1

Ahh I got it. I looked back at it and I have an adjustment layer with a glow on it. It was keyframed to vary in intensity, which I don't remember doing, so it was definitely present in the first version. I just have no idea why the effect is more prominent in the newer version. But oh well.

Thanks for the replies.