5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 1:40 PM by Jeff Schewe

Where does recovery occur in ACR 7?

rasworth Level 1

Started using the beta, Whites appears to be a straight clipping control, Highlights works as in PS, where does recovery (synthesis of clipped channel(s)) occur?

Richard Southworth

• 1. Re: Where does recovery occur in ACR 7?
          dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

It's automatic.

• 2. Re: Where does recovery occur in ACR 7?
            RASouthworth Level 3

I guess I didn't state my question clearly, which control should be used to "automatically" recover a clipped channel or two?  I've found multiple controls that affect the clipping, not sure what's going on.  None of the help screens seem to be working, are there any basic instructions available for ACR 7?

Richard Southworth

• 3. Re: Where does recovery occur in ACR 7?
              Noel Carboni Level 7

I don't think I can answer your question with any authority, but generally speaking, I'd say you want to exercise the Highlights control.

I've just been experimenting with some problematic images in which the blue channel crosses into clipping (bright skies), and so far I've found the results from Camera Raw 7 to be superior to those of Camera Raw 6.x with regard to transition into blown highlights.  GREATLY superior!  More color recovered in more area, and without abrupt transitions.

Impressive work by the Camera Raw team in avoiding unwanted shifts and what appeared to be overflow in the calculations with 6.x!

-Noel

• 4. Re: Where does recovery occur in ACR 7?
                dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

You mean the equivalent of the old Recover Highlights control?

It's half automatic (done behind the scenes) and if you want to push it further - use Highlights.

• 5. Re: Where does recovery occur in ACR 7?
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Actually, I'm pretty sure both minus Exposure and minus Highlights do higlight recovery, minus Whites doesn't.

And I would argue that PV2012 doesn't do "automatic" highlght recovery, but is designed to extract more highlight info...the adaptive nature of the controls does produce a lot more highlight and shadow information and the effective range of the controls is image adaptive. The function of extracting usable detail after one or two channels are blown–highlight recovery–is different from the image adaptive ability to extract more highlight info. Subtle difference...