5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 7:13 AM by nealeh

How can I animate pictures to make a word

cmcgowan

For instance, I am doing my daughter's fifth grade graduation video and an idea I had was to take individual pictures of the kids and animate them to show the words Class of 2012.  Would like to have the pictures falling onto the screen to form Class of 2012.  any hints or direction would be great!

Chris

• 1. Re: How can I animate pictures to make a word
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That would be very difficult with Premiere Elements.

It would be a bit easier with After Effects -- but that's a much more expensive, challenging program.

It might be best to aim a little lower. It's a great idea, but there may be an effect that's easier to produce -- especially your first time out.

Have you looked at the Text Animations in the Titles workspace?

• 2. Re: How can I animate pictures to make a word
            nealeh Level 5

I can't visualize what you mean by animate the kids to make the words. Are you thinking of them laying on the ground making the shapes of letters with their bodies? If so you could record them from above and use stop motion to give an animation effect.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: How can I animate pictures to make a word
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I had in my mind, that the OP was taking many small PiP, and having them move about the screen, to form "letters," but might have missed the point/need.

For what is in my mind's eye, one could Scale many Still Images, down to tiny dimensions, then Import them into a Project, and stack them onto separate Video Tracks (lots of them), then animate the Stills, with Motion>Position, to "line them up," perhaps throwing in some Rotation, as needed to create what look like "letters."

With all of those Video Tracks, I agree that AE would be the better program for this, as it is a compositing program, and one could write Expressions (think Scripts) to repeat much of the handwork.

I would also create a "guide" of the letters, that I wished the resulting collage to assemble into, with say a Title, at the top of the Video Tracks, with a bold, black Type, with ONLY Stroke. That will help you find where the Still Images will go.

Now, if one wishes for the "letters" to crop off portions of the Stills, it gets tricker, in that Track Matte Keying will add many, many more Video Tracks.

I tried to think of any 3rd party plug-in, that I have seen, with anything, that might be useful, but have either not seen it, or have forgotten about it, and I have several animation plug-ins for my various programs.

Wish that I could help more,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How can I animate pictures to make a word
                Robert J. Johnston Level 2

Talking about text animations, that reminded me that you can insert images in text boxes on titles as if they were characters. Right click inside a textbox and select "image > insert image in text." You have to add images one at a time. You can then apply a text animation to the text boxes. You can't have carriage returns and line feeds between the images in a text box, otherwise you can't apply an animation. You can have multiple text boxes in a title, but you have to apply the animation to each text box one at a time. Use the text boxes as building blocks, and use the blocks to form a word. The size of the font will determine the size of the images in a text box.

• 5. Re: How can I animate pictures to make a word
                  nealeh Level 5

Can you point at an example of the effect you are looking for on YouTube, Vimeo, etc...

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children