4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 2:09 PM by realgeek RSS

How do I change my external editor in Lightroom back to CS5?

realgeek

I have Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS5.  I installed CS6 to experiment, but I don't really want to "work" with it.  However, it changed the settings in Lightroom to default to CS6 as my external editor.  How can I change this back to CS5?

• 1. Re: How do I change my external editor in Lightroom back to CS5?
          MJOrts Adobe Employee

Have you tried manually choosing Photoshop CS5 as an Additional External Editor in Lightroom > Preferences > External Editing?

• 2. Re: How do I change my external editor in Lightroom back to CS5?
            realgeek Community Member

Thanks; that helps. However, I have another program that I would like to use as thevsecond external editor, so it would be great if I could change the first one from CS6 back to CS5. Is it even possible?

• 3. Re: How do I change my external editor in Lightroom back to CS5?
              MJOrts Adobe Employee

Hey,

I checked with Kelly Castro on the LR team and he said you should be able to save each of your external apps as presets and then they should both be available.  He gave me the steps, too:

1.  Lightroom > Preferences > External Editing
              2.  Under Additional External Editor,clci the “Choose” button next to Application
              3.  Navigate to Applications folder and select Photoshop CS5
              4.  Set Editing attributes (File Format, Color Space, Bit Depth, Res)
              5.  Click on preset menu and select “Save Current Settings as New Preset”
              6.  Name the new Preset “Photoshop CS5” and click “Create”

• 4. Re: How do I change my external editor in Lightroom back to CS5?
                realgeek Community Member

MJORts,

Thanks!  This works, but I would add two comments.

First, one should save their current second editor as a preset (following steps 1, 5 and 6) before creating the CS5 preset.

Second, only two editors can be the primary editors (i.e., only two can be selected by a simple keyboard shortcut, and only two will appear in the preferences window at any one time).  However, you can have as many editors as you want as presets: they all appear as options in the menus, and any one of them can be made the secondary editor that can be selected by a keyboard shortcut.

Thanks again!