2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2012 6:34 AM by SitheeBarb RSS

Generate Index keep hanging

I have a document that is in a book. This book has 8 different sections to it. I have all my sections marked and added for my index. The index is only product numbers with the page number. I cannot generate an index by selecting all book document. It will generate an Index for each section but not all of them together in my book. This index is very general with no title.

Is there something I can look for to see why it will not generate the index using all 8 sections?

by the way I am using InDesign CS5

• 1. Re: Generate Index keep hanging
          John Hawkinson Community Member

What operating system? What maintenance release of InDesign (hold down cmd or control and select About InDesign)?

• 2. Re: Generate Index keep hanging
            SitheeBarb Community Member

MAC OS X 10.6.8 and InDesign 7.0.3. We found out that we had to wait and wait for the Index to generate. It would take about 45 minutes to an hour for it to work. When I would look at InDesign it would say Application Not Responding but I had that issue with a PreFlight and collect for the job I was working on. So I watched the file folder to see if it was doing my collect and I could see the images being brought in even though it said Application Not Responding when I right clicked on InDesign. So I decided to try it with Generate Index and an hour or so later I had my Index. I don't think it should take that long but at least I have it. Maybe I need more patience???