5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 10:37 AM by Jeff_N

Pen Tool Question...

Jeff_N Level 1

The Pen Tool is my favorite / go to selection tool. But can it do the following...

I've made a path and converted it to a selection, then filled the area with a color or texture (on it's own layer).

Now I find that I need to adjust (fine tune) the shape I've created / filled with color or texture to better fit how / where it's being used. Is is possible to invoke the path handles and get it to adjust the filled area as you move / adjust the path. (This is not a shape, not using the shape tool.)

I can select the filled path / layer and free transform but that does not give me a fine enough adjustment.

Puppet Warp doesn't really fit the bill either.

A good example of what I want to achieve is similar to when you put type on a path. When you adjust the path the type moves to conform to the changes in the path. I want to do the same thing with the area I filled using the path.

Possible??

If not, this would be a great feature request!!!

thanks folks for any input

JeffN

• 1. Re: Pen Tool Question...
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Why don’t you use a Solid Color or Pattern Layer with a Vector Mask in this case?

• 2. Re: Pen Tool Question...
            Jeff_N Level 1

I'll need a little more help. Is a vector mask the same as a layer mask? When I put a vector mask - reveal all on my layer with the color it looks just like a layer mask. But I don't see how that will let me use the path to adjust the shape of the colored layer.

I'm trying to put a yellow stripe on a all black cable. I have to get the stripe to follow the contour of the cable. Here is a sample of what I'm working on.

The yellow strip is on a sep layer.

08 copy.jpg

• 3. Re: Pen Tool Question...
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Just create the Path with the Pen Tool and then make the Solid Color Layer or apply it to an existing Layer with Layer > Vector Mask > Current Path.

• 4. Re: Pen Tool Question...
                Jeff_N Level 1

I think I see what your saying...

I had been creating a path for the stripe, convert to a selection, then fill the selection on a new layer with the color for the stripe. But this makes changing the shape of the stripe impossible.

Your method has me using the same path, creating a new blank layer, filling the layer with the color, then adding a vector mask- current path. This blocks out everything except the yellow stripe following the path. Invoking the path allows me to adjust the path which in turn adjusts (hides / reveals) the yellow strip. (which actually just a layer filled with the yellow stripe color).

I'll work with this and see how it goes. It looks like you solved my question!!

Thanks much...

JeffN

• 5. Re: Pen Tool Question...
                  Jeff_N Level 1

c.pfaffenbichler

Just to follow up on your answer....

Yes this works very well for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks again.

Just an fyi, I'm also a NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) member.

I posted my same question on the NAPP forum. I still haven't gotten a response for anyone over there.

I'm not knocking NAPP, it's a great organization and I've been a member since 2006.

But I'm pleased with how much faster answers to questions come from this Adobe Photoshop forum.

Keep up the good work!!

JeffN