Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bookmarks Disappeared, Ruining the Benefit of the Textbook

Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to use the Adobe "Digital Edition" of my textbook. I did all my highlights in it, but one of the times I opened it, the program wrote over my annotations file and I lost every bookmark. I tried to revert to an older version of the file, but it was from a month ago with maybe 20% of the bookmarks. I cannot believe there is no warning about this on the product. I now wish I had never used it. Is there any way to get the bookmarks back is they get overwritten and there's no backup of a recent version?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your comment fully. DE itself doesn't 'write over'

annotations....

============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, every time you change the bookmarks in the program or close the program, DE alters the "annotations" file to represent whatever is in the program at that time. If the program opens without accessing the annotations file, it will register that no bookmarks exist. I don't know why, but one of the times that I opened DE, it didn't access annotations, so when I closed it, because I thought if I closed it and reopened it the bookmarks might come back, it created a new annotations file that says there should be no bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of Adobe employees that read posts here. Perhaps they

can address this....

Guys - are you listening?

==============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the best I'm going to do is the backed up version of the annotations file from a scheduled system backup. I'll copy those over to the hardcopy of the book (which I still have), and then spend a few hours recreating the others, after which I guess I'll either back up every time I annotate or, more likely, get back to book highlighting (which I was going to do eventually anyway, due to limitations on annotations in DE). The main remaining benefit of the DE is transportability, which will still be useful, just not quite as useful as I'd hoped when I initially got the product. Thank you for the support, if Adobe does have any better solutions, I'd love to hear them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still a problem, 7 years later...

Adobe, can you help with suggestions on how to access these lost annotations? Having to go through this trouble makes your program one of the most frustrating things I've ever used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines