5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 2:30 PM by Rik Ramsay

Problems printing numbered tickets

CoGordo4 Level 1

Hello everyone,

I just made some reffel tickets with running numbers. I made the file in Indesign cs5 on mac and I am printing it on a xerox 700 digital press with creo rip software. I used page numbers to make the running serial numbers. Because of this each ticket is its own page. There are 1000 pages. Total file size isn't that large though. Only 3.5 mbs as an Indesign file and 1.5 mbs as a pdf. However I cant get it to print from either acrobat or indesign. In fact when I try to print it from acrobat the program instantly freezes. Does any one have any ideas to why this issue might be happening?

• 1. Re: Problems printing numbered tickets
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Rather than the Page number technique, I use Data Merge; but i seldom print more than 500 in a lot.

The 1000 page document cannot be as low as 3.5mb, IMO.

With the Creo, you might consider saving the common master elements as a Print Master in the RIP, and print only the page numbers; using the RIP to combine in the Master.

• 2. Re: Problems printing numbered tickets
            Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

700 digital press with creo rip software

Can you submit the PDF to the RIP instead of printing postscript from either app?

• 3. Re: Problems printing numbered tickets
              CoGordo4 Level 1

It seems odd Daniel but I double checked. My indesign document is 3.2 mb and the pdfs is 1.5 mbs. Here is a screan shot.Screen shot 2012-03-26 at 2.25.21 PM.png. Now this same file turns into a many hundred mb once sent through the creo software though.

• 4. Re: Problems printing numbered tickets
                Daniel Flavin Level 4

I'm going to compare apples to oranges here...

I did 250 sheets for 1000 tickets this am.

See the graphic, (in Explorer's Preview) It added far more data in the RIP than I should have allowed.

While the InDesign file was only 1.4mb, after merging to 250 pages and spooling it weighed in at the RIP at 1.5gb. (Fiery RIP)

I had to get up and go do some other work while it processed.

I think there is something wrong with a 1001 page pdf at 1.8mb as you're showing.

If it is indeed that small, you could host it or email somewhere; we could verify if it works or crashes on another system.

PM me as needed to send the pdf

Capture.JPG

• 5. Re: Problems printing numbered tickets
                  Rik Ramsay Level 4

You have what seems to be a bitmap image in your background. It is possible the OP is using a solid colour or vector shapes for the background with the page numbers. In which case, if there were no bitmap images, effects etc, his filesize should be achievable.

I think the issue might be sending so many pages to the printer at once as it needs to process one at a time. Could try sending batches of 100 and see if it makes any difference? This can be done in Acrobat by selecting 'pages 1-100'.