2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 2:35 PM by SteveRicketts

Can't download a .zip to an iPhone/Pad.

SteveRicketts Level 1

I'm building a off-line training player for mobile devices and am having a problem downloading files to an iPhone/iPad.  This works on Android fine.  When it's time to download the file I'm using:

file = File.applicationStorageDirectory;

file.download(urlRequest, videoFile);

file.addEventListener(ProgressEvent.PROGRESS, setDownloadProgress);

file.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, completeHandler);

That's when I get the error message that says:

Download Error

File Downloads Not Supported.

Thanks

So, what am I doing wrong? 

• 1. Re: Can't download a .zip to an iPhone/Pad.
          markerline Level 4

Both Android and iOS devices need a handling application to know what to do with a file that has a .zip extension .   WinZip just released a mobile version of their application for iOS and I assume one is coming for Android.  The device you are testing on probably already has a file manager enabled that can handle zip files, speaking for your Android device that is....  Check Apple's App Store for WinZip and then try to repeat the steps you took.

Note:  I am not versed in Flex so I can't help you with the code part of your issue if that is what it comes down to.  I just know about the zip extension and its workings with iOS.

• 2. Re: Can't download a .zip to an iPhone/Pad.
            SteveRicketts Level 1

Thanks for the prompt reply!  Actually, I'm decompressing the .zip file in my Flex mobile app.  However, I'm not even getting to that point.  The error happens when it does the File.download command and doesn't even ask me where I want to put it.  I'm guessing it's a Flex/iOX/permissions thing.