1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 2:51 PM by Steve Grisetti

Computer specs for crafting Videos and Sanyo Xaxti camera

Tammyscraps

I have been battling computers and a "big box store" for 3 months now. All computers are have been under warranty so I am on my third machine:

Now I have my third machine and I was told I needed to purchase all new software so with that I upgraded to PsE & PE 10. PE 10 works just fine - as far as I can tell. On my old machine - PsE lagged - but I knew that when I purchased it.

This machine and the one previous, were replacements and I was told that these would "more than run" my programs.

• Asus
      • 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor;
      • Intel® Core™ i5 processor
      • Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
      • 6GB DDR3 memory; expandable to 8GB.
      • 750GB hard drive (5400 rpm).
      • UMA graphics
        For lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for flexible connectivity options.
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Sooooo, then I stumble upon this thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/4287391#4287391 only to find that my camera poses an issue as well

If all of my software is oudated then it stands to reason my camera is too?

I have a Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10

HD-SHQ: 1280 x 720 (30 fps/ 9Mbps)

Videos: ISO standard MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (.MP4)

Audio: 48kHZ sampling, 16bit, 2ch, AAC

http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/products/vpc_cg10/spec.html

Basically I have the same issues as I have had before but slightly different. Before I had hours to wait for rendering - now I have no redering issues at all, and with my old machine and programs it lagged quite a bit. PsE10 also tells me if my videos that I am importing need different settings which is nice.

When I edit for long periods of time PsE10 wants to quit on me. Sometimes it decides to give me these white vertical bars or lines then if I just click over to something else, when I come back, they are gone (like in the second photo)

pse10-issues.gif

Sometimes I also get what I call "confetti" from previous pages - but this is not just in PsE it is in Office 2010 and even on the internet. I have more than likely been in PsE10 prior to each external incident happening.

So, today, I took the same raw video, edited in Movie Maker (never have an issue there - just limited); saved the files; imported into PsE10 and now I don't seem to have any issues - so far. I don't even have lag time which does not bother me since I have dealt with that issue for years

All of this for this question - and "no" - I will not trade in for a desktop machine (already have one - this one is portable and I take it with me so I can work)

Would adding 2 g RAM to this machine solve some of the "white lines" and "confetti" issues I get? Also, from what I have read here, am I correct in assuming my video camera is out of date?

Thanks guys!

(Tammy aka PKGlitz)

Just talked with my husband and he made a good point, all of these hand held cameras were probably designed to take video, edit on screen, and then upload to YouTube or blog. Is that a correct assumption?

• 1. Re: Computer specs for crafting Videos and Sanyo Xaxti camera
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you start your Premiere Elements project, do you select the project settings for AVCHD Lite?

If that doesn't work, try the settings for Flip Mino HD.

Unfortunately, the Xacti is not well supported by Premiere Elements, which is probably at the root of your problems. But, if you're sure you've got the latest version of Quicktime and you're using the best possible project settings, you should be okay with that computer.

Just makes sure to go to either the nVidia or ATI site and get the latest drivers for your graphics card. And go to Windows Update and ensure you have even the non-critical updates for Windows. You may also want to swap Microsoft Security Essentials for your current antivirus and remove any Norton software. Security Essentials is very efficient and non-intrusive -- it's also free, of course, and at least as good as any antivirus out there.

And, for good measure, run a Deep Care tune-up with Advanced System Care Free.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

The weakest link in the chain seems to be your hard drive. It's only 5400 rpm -- which is rather slow for today's computers. Is this a laptop, by any chance? Laptops are usually built for portability, not speed, so slower hard drives are pretty common with them.