2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 3:46 PM by Zoffix222

Automatic Non-Breaking Hyphen

Zoffix222 Level 1

Hi,

Is there a way to make InDesign CS5.5 to automatically use a non-breaking hyphen when I paste a bunch of text with regular hyphens in it?

Or, is there a way to tell it to treat a regular hyphen in the middle of the word as if it were a letter; that is not to break up a word with a hyphen in it when Hyphenation is turned off?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Automatic Non-Breaking Hyphen
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Manually: Use Alt+Command+Hyphen to manually insert a non-breaking hyphen (... I use it all the time on Windows but can't recall the Win key combo! ).

On a text selection: Use Find/Change on your selected text to change all hyphens to non-breaking hyphens. See the Change Text dropdown menu for the code for a non-breaking hyphen.

Alternatively:

Add a GREP style to the paragraph style(s) you are using for your text that applies a character style specifying "No Break" on the regular hyphen, which is simply this single character

-

in the To Text field of the GREP Style list.

• 2. Re: Automatic Non-Breaking Hyphen
            Zoffix222 Level 1

Hey, awesome!

I used the GREP style. The only thing is that you need to use \w-\w or something similar for the "To text", otherwise it keeps breaking it.

Thanks!