9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2012 3:24 PM by JEShort01

Mercury encoding issues with CS5.5 and Cuda processing

sfkehl

In CS 5.5 when encoding h.264 I get bad interlacing problems when I use GPU processing.  If I switch over to software only encoding everything looks great.  I am using a GTX-580 GPU.  I have also tried a 480 and 590 cards.  They all work great in CS5 just not CS5.5.  I have used both mpeg2 and m2ts source files.

• 1. Re: Mercury encoding issues with CS5.5 and Cuda processing
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried different nVidia drivers?

It does sometimes happen that different drivers will have no-or-some-or-odd problems

• 2. Re: Mercury encoding issues with CS5.5 and Cuda processing
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Note that neither of the cards that you mention is on the list of supported cards for the CUDA processing features:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

• 3. Re: Mercury encoding issues with CS5.5 and Cuda processing
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I get bad interlacing problems when I use GPU processing.

Like what? Show this behavior with screen shots. Bad interlacing is usually caused by OE, not the video card. If you want more feedback, help us with more details. For the time being I keep this under Operator Error. Encoding to H.264 does not use MPE hardware acceleration.

• 4. Re: Mercury encoding issues with CS5.5 and Cuda processing
                sfkehl Level 1

I have two machines.  One running CS5 and one running CS5.5.  I can do the exact same encode and have swapped the cards between them.  CS 5.5 looks like the field order is out of order only when I use GPU processing.  The GTX 580 is one of the supported cards and is in the cs5.5 machine that has the problem.  The GTX 480 is in the CS5 machine where I added it to the list of cuda cards and works great.  The list from Adobe's site is copied below showing the 580 is on it.  The MPE does do the h.264 encoding accerleration.  The process I have been using is one I have been using for over three years over 10,000 encodes.  I am decently familiar with Premier since I have been using it for over 20 years.  The problem started in CS5.5 has only existed in CS5.5.

• 5. Re: Mercury encoding issues with CS5.5 and Cuda processing
                  kehlch Level 1

Here is a screen capture of my settings.  I am open to it being operator error.  That is part of the forums main idea is to educate and share insight.  I am just saying that it doesn't make sense why CS5 works and CS5.5 doesn't.  I do appreciate and thank those of you who contribute to help solve issues even if they are operator errors or "ID10T" errors.

I also tried updated GPU drivers over the past 9 or 10 months since 5.5 has been out.

Below is also a screen capture of the encode.

Capture1.PNG

The encode with the GPU looks like the fields are out of order.

Capture.PNG

• 6. Re: Mercury encoding issues with CS5.5 and Cuda processing
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Your source is progressive, your output is progressive. Where do you get interlaced problems?

• 7. Re: Mercury encoding issues with CS5.5 and Cuda processing
                      kehlch Level 1

That is what I would like to know.  Sorry for the broken record, but the encode looks like it is supposed to, if I don't use the GPU.  I want to use the GPU because it take half the time.

• 8. Re: Mercury encoding issues with CS5.5 and Cuda processing
                        kehlch Level 1

Currently, I do think it has something to do with 5.5.  My CS5 machine works great exept without the additonal format support added in 5.5.  So I would love to get my 5.5 machine working the same as my CS5 machine.  I have swapped the cards. When I do nothing changes.  The problem is still on the 5.5 machine and the GTX-580 card works wonderfully in the CS5 machine.  If you can think of some other information and can give you or try different settings, I am all for it.  I appreciate the help.

• 9. Re: Mercury encoding issues with CS5.5 and Cuda processing
                          JEShort01 Level 4

Would you believe that I've seen something similar before, many years ago, and using photos in a Premiere Pro video slide-show!? Many years ago meaning before the "Creative Suite" named version; it might have been Premiere 3.0?

My work around was to put a filter onto the portions of my project that forced Premiere to do something a bit differently and corrected the problem. In fact, without the "fix" even the rendered output looked lousy and just like what you have shown below.

Possibly - and I'm really guessing here - doing a sequence / render entire work area will trigger Premiere Pro w/ MPE to do something that works around this glitch for you?

I know that will slow down your workflow a bit, but if it solves this seemingly crazy issue for you with MPE still on it could be a good thing.

Another idea to try if you have not already done so is playing with your "playback resolution" setting; try 1/4, try full, etc.

Good luck!

Jim