12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 9:20 AM by the_wine_snob

HELP....Trying to install on new computer!

DreamerByDesign

Please, Please, Please someone help!

I have Premere Elements 8.0 and have installed it on my new computer but I'm having all kinds of problems!

1) Every time I open the program on the new computer, a window pops up titled "Install Full Content" and reads "A reduced set of content (Instant movie themes, title and menu templates etc.) has been installed. To install the full content set, please insert your content dvd and run Setup.exe". I've unistalled and reinsttalled it every way I know how to try to add the full content but each time its the same install, witht the same message popping up.

2) When the program is open it looks completely different than it does on my other computer! The tools are gone and it looks like its a program to make a slide show, instead of my editing program.

3) I had to deactivate the program on the older computer to get it to work on the new computer...now I can't reactivate the program on the old computer.

4) When I open the program on the old computer the first window that pops up says it's Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 the window that pops up on the new computer says its Adobe Premere Elements 8. I have no idea what's going on or how to fix it!

I use my editing software almost daily and really need to get it woking again, preferably on the new computer but at least on the old computer.

Please post on this thread, if you have any ideas of what I can try.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Elements forum.  DreamerByDesign do you have an additional disc which has the additional contents on it?

• 2. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
            DreamerByDesign Level 1

No, I only have the disk for Premere Elements. That's the only program I have the serial number for.

Do Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 and Premere Elements 8 come on the same disk? If not, I don't know where to find and retieve my serial number for Photoshop Elements so I can reactivate it and use it again.

• 3. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The "Reduced Set of Content," means that you have not installed the Additional Functional Content. Do you have the download, or physical media? For the download, that is a separate file, and with the physical media, a separate disc.

It sounds like PrElements is opening in the Organizer, which is a cataloging program, shared by PrE and PSE.

Do you have both Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements?

Did you install both programs? They are separate installs, and the Additional Functional Content for PrE is separate, as well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
                DreamerByDesign Level 1

I only have the Premere disk and didn't realize the program on the older computer was not the same as what's on the disk until now.

I already deleted my serial number from the old machine because I thought I had to, in order to get the other program working on the new computer.

I don't know what to do to fix my Photoshop Elements...ie; get the serial number again and reactivate it.

Do you know if the live chat would give me the serial number? my guess is they won't.

I don't even know how to use Premere.....so frustrated!

Thanks for the information you provided!

• 5. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but I am confused.

You talk of Premiere [Elements] (a video editing application), and Photoshop Elements (an Image editing application).

Which Adobe program do you have?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, but probably too late now, Adobe allows two installations per license for the user, but only one can be run, i.e. you could install on two computers, but could only use the program on one, at a time.

Good luck, and I think that the word "Premiere" might have fooled Jeff, so he moved the thread here.

Hunt

• 7. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
                      DreamerByDesign Level 1

Bill....sorry I guess I am being confusing.

I have been using Photoshop Elements 8 on one computer for over a year. I got a new lap top in February and wanted to install Photoshop on that.

I thought I had bought the program online and downloaded it. During a chat with customer support, I found out I had purchased the program as a DVD  (I still thought it was Photoshop we were talking about). I found the DVD (still thinkg it was Photoshop) and in the process of installing it on the new computer, a message said you had to deactivate it from any other computer it may be on.

I opened it and deactivated it on the old computer and in the process a message popped up about deleting the serial number from the computer. Me being the "read the instructions as a last resort", type of person, I thought if I didn't delete the serial number form the old computer it wouldn't work on the new one.

I SHOULD have read all of what it said because I DID read it all today and it was talking about deleting the serial number from the computer, IF you're getting rid of the computer NOT in order for the program to work on another machine! BIG mistake!

Yes, I can be scatter brained and forgetful, I admit it!

Now, I have a program I don't know how to use and didn't want, on my new computer and the program I do know how to use on the old computer, I can't active because I don't have the serial number anymore.

It's the photo editng program I need.

My product purchases in my adobe account only show that I purchased Premiere 8.

I must not have registerted the Photoshop Elements, that's the only thing I can think of as to why it isn't showing in my products on adobe.

I've probably confused you even more...sorry!

• 8. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have physical install discs, not a download, you also have "something" with a serial number sticker... if you didn't lose it

• 9. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
                          nealeh Level 5

If you are still within thirty days of purchase you will be able to return Premiere Elements for a full refund.

If you purchased Photoshop Elements in a boxed retail product the serial number will be printed on there somewhere (usually on the back of the DVD box).

If you purchased the download version of Photoshop Elements then even if you didn't register it Adobe can probably trace the purchase for you - combination of name, email, payment method, date. Although I've only purchased boxed Adobe products other software I buy from downloads usually results in an email including registration numbers. Have you checked you emails to see if they sent it to you?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the details (however painful they might have been for you). I think that I understand the issue. Correct me, if I am wrong. You had Photoshop Elements installed, and wanted to uninstall that, then reinstall it on another machine. You purchased, what you thought was Photoshop Elements, but it turned out to be Premiere Elements instead. Now, Adobe offers a very popular "suite" that contains both programs. IIRC, that comes with 5 installation discs. Not sure how many are in your program set, but if you have 5, then you bought both Photoshop Elements (Image editing program) and Premiere Elements (Video editing program). They work very nicely together. How many discs did your set include?

As Neale says, if you purchased only Premiere Elements, within 30 days, Adobe will allow you to return it, for your money back. You can then purchase Photoshop Elements, however, if you are doing any work with Video, or wish to create, say SlideShows, that will be burned to DVD-Video, or to BD (Blu-ray disc), then you might explore buying both programs bundled into a suite.

Do not feel bad about missing the section in the EULA about being able to install most Adobe programs onto two personal computers. There is a lot of necessary legal stuff in there, and it is not 100% absolutely clear what one can, and cannot do, regarding the programs' licensing, until one reads it a half-dozen times. Also, over the years, there have been subtle, albeit important changes in the EULA. What I knew 5 years ago, might have changed. I will not bore you with some of those changes, as I doubt that any apply in your case. Probably the most often asked question in the Photoshop (Photoshop Elements' "big-brother") Forum is, "How many computers can I install Photoshop on?"

Also, and sort of a "dove tail" on Neale's comment, if you purchased your original Photoshop Elements from Adobe, or if you Registered it with Adobe, then they will likely have your S/N. You will need to log into your Adobe.com Account (not the Adobe Forum log-in, though it might be the same). Then look at your Registrations. If you have trouble there, you can call/contact Adobe Customer Service (not Technical Service), give them the invoice number, and your log-in into, and they should be able to help you.

Last, when you do get the correct program, Photoshop Elements, if you have any issues, there is a good, and very active forum for that program: http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
                              DreamerByDesign Level 1

Update: I checked my desktop and sure enough I had installed Photoshop Elements 8 on it previously! I opened it and found the serial number!

I was able to reactivate the program on my older laptop and its working now YAY! I'm so relieved! I will NEVER delete the serial number again! Maybe I'll read all the instructions next time.....

Nealeh, I don't know if I bought Photoshop as a download or DVD. If I have a DVD, I can't find it. I'm thinking it must have been a DVD or I don't know how I would have put it on the desktop.

My problem now, is how to get it on the new laptop if I can't find the DVD.

I copied everything in the the Adobe Photoshop folder to a blank DVD and am going to try to install it with that but I don't know if that will work, we'll see.

Thank you for your suggestions Nealeh & Bill, you guys are great! I'm going to check out that forum Bill!

Nealeh, I'll keep trying to locate my purchase through this site and my emails.

• 12. Re: HELP....Trying to install on new computer!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

As there is much more to an installation, than just the program files, I think that you have major difficulties.

I would check your old computer for downloads from Adobe. Where, will depend on how you have things arranged, and which programs you use to download.

With version 8 of either program, Premiere Elements, and/or Photoshop Elements, I doubt that Adobe will have replacement media, but if you did download, bought from Adobe, or Registered your program, Adobe Customer Service should be able to point you to a download link (if it's still up after those years). Just have that S/N handy, when you call them. I would not bother with Live Chat, or e-mails, but call instead, and hope that you can still download the program.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting partial success.

Hunt