4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2012 7:33 PM by Ned Murphy

can you load/display html content in a flash box from your flash movie?

jdhughen

I'm editing a flash web template in Flash pro (cs5.5 master collection) . I have a horz scrolling calendar with event and direction links in each day. The calendar is Html/css/ and jQuery.  If I Build a single Html page that loads the CSS and jQuery and contains all the calls and Content text and I call/display this in a flash box in my "movie"

Thanks

Joel Hughen

• 1. Re: can you load/display html content in a flash box from your flash movie?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the title is your question (the body of your posting is not a question), then the answer is that Flash can only handle a minimum amount of html content and it can only happen within textfields.  You cannot display an html page in Flash.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: can you load/display html content in a flash box from your flash movie?
            jdhughen Level 1

Thanks for the quich reply.  OK, if flash can't display it internally, then can  I have a "link" in my flash that calls a HTML page that displays "over" my flash, I guess like a pop-up, that contains my html content as discribed above (ie HTML with CSS and jQuery script)  ??

Thanks

Joel

• 3. Re: can you load/display html content in a flash box from your flash movie?
              jdhughen Level 1

I guess to clairify what I'm trying to do.....This is a all flash template site. I'm editing the fla to change the color scheme and themed graphic content and some of the animation to suit my needs. I want to add a daily horz scrolling calendar to this site as follows....

In my flash I want a clickable link or button that will display my "calendar" on top of my flash, either part of the flash or as a html pop-up on top of the flash. The contents of this horz scrolling calendar is HTML/CSS and jQuery. In each "Day" block there are links to additional HTML/CSS content to display "event details" and "drections" which display when clicked. The user should be able to view the contents of these links and then "close" the window when done viewing the "calendar" which should leave them back at the flash page where they first click on the "calendar" link in flash. Can this kind of thing be done OR should I be trying to recreate my "calendar" in scrolling dynamic flash text boxes as my calendar days. Obviously since I already have the "calendar" working the way I want it in HTLM, I would prefer not to re-invent the wheel in flash, and displaying this content in a pop-up works for me as long as I can call it from flash and get back to my flash when the user closes the pop-up window.

thanks for any advice

Joel Hughen

• 4. Re: can you load/display html content in a flash box from your flash movie?
                Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can have your html page that embeds the Flash content contain a function to create the popup and have Flash trigger opening that popup using the ExternalInterface class. 

You could also create a div in the html page that embeds the Flash file that sits over the Flash content (different z-index), though you need to get the Flash content to flatten down to the page so that something can sit atop it.  This is done in the Flash embedding code by setting the wmode parameter to be transparent.

1 person found this helpful