13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2006 6:31 PM by Newsgroup_User

Did I Create an iFrame?

engmix Level 1
      Hi,
      This is probably a bit of a stupid question. I'm designing a very small site. And the box on the lower left that contains the content was created with an absolute positioned div (i rarely use them) with the scroll option set to "auto." Page in question is below. Did I unknowingly create an "iframe?" Or does one need to actually have and HTML tag defining it as an iframe? By the way, I'm not interested in this div becoming an iframe, for the obvious down-falls of frames.

http://hifiadd.com/index.html

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
          Level 7

> This is probably a bit of a stupid question. I'm designing a very small
          > site.
          > And the box on the lower left that contains the content was created with
          > an
          > absolute positioned div (i rarely use them) with the scroll option set to
          > "auto." Page in question is below. Did I unknowingly create an "iframe?"

No, you created a scrolling div.

> Or
          > does one need to actually have and HTML tag defining it as an iframe?

Right.

> By the
          > way, I'm not interested in this div becoming an iframe, for the obvious
          > down-falls of frames.

I'd rethink leaving it as a div.

All to often this technique is used to trap the most important part of your
          site...the page content...into an itty-bitty box just so you acn preserve
          the visualls of your pag.

If you look at your page, about 15% of the page real estate is dedicated to
          content. The rest is mostly eye candy. That doesn't make for a very
          practical design.

Remember, the visual design should accentuate your content, not compete with
          it.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
            Level 7
            > Did I unknowingly create an "iframe?"

No.

> does one need to actually have an HTML tag defining it as an iframe?

Yes.

• 3. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
              engmix Level 1
              Darrel, thank you for clarifying the iFrame for me!

I do understand the content issue. This is the request of the client, and I don't totally disagree with him on this one project. This site is a virtual business card for him. I've been in the music business for 21 years, as an engineer and producer. The music bizz is ALL about being cool, and the visual aspects are unfortunately more important than the content. Just listen to the radio. But your point is well taken.

Have a look at another music business site I'm currently working on, and I think you will see that I do for agree with you. http://globalvisiondesigns.com

Thanks
              • 4. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
                Level 7

> site.
                > an

> Or

Right.

> By the
                > down-falls of frames.

practical design.

it.

-Darrel

• 5. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
                  Level 7

No.

Yes.

• 6. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
                    Level 7

> site.
                    > an

> Or

Right.

> By the
                    > down-falls of frames.

practical design.

it.

-Darrel

• 7. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
                      Level 7

No.

Yes.

• 8. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
                        Level 7
                        the visual aspects are unfortunately more important than the content. Just
                        listen to the
                        > radio.

Just LISTEN to the radio vis a vis VISUAL aspects? :)

• 9. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
                          Level 7

> site.
                          > an

> Or

Right.

> By the
                          > down-falls of frames.

practical design.

it.

-Darrel

• 10. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
                            Level 7

No.

Yes.

• 11. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
                              Level 7
                              listen to the
                              > radio.

• 12. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
                                Level 7
                                listen to the
                                > radio.

• 13. Re: Did I Create an iFrame?
                                  Level 7
                                  listen to the
                                  > radio.