6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 9:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio stops playing on longer clips. MTS

ifixmedia

I'm about to edit some clips recordered with a SONY HDR-CX505. This camera generates MTS files with 5.1 surround. I have problems with some files where the audio seems to be replaced with silence after about 45+ seconds. If I drag these files into a stereo session I can see that the waveforms show silence in the spots where the sound siappears.  This seems to be consistent with MTS files that cointans more than about 1 min. with video. Other file formats seems to me allright.

I know the MTS files are ok because I can play them back with sound in VLC.

I use Premiere Elements 10 on a mac pro eight-core. Snow Leopard. Anyone got a clue?

• 1. Re: Audio stops playing on longer clips. MTS
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you shot your video in Full AVCHD mode at 1080i, when you started your Premiere Elements project, did you select the project settings for AVCHD 1920x1080 5.1? This is vital to a successful project.

Also, when you added the video to your project, did you let it fully conform before you started editing? Try right-clicking on the video in the Media panel and selecting Clear -- then re-import the video into your project. Watch the progress in the lower right of the interface this time and don't start editing into the program tells you it is fully conformed.

• 2. Re: Audio stops playing on longer clips. MTS
            ifixmedia Level 1

I shot in the highest quality setting (HD, FH (1920 x 1080i, 16 Mbps) and used the Full HD 1080i 25 5.1 channel setting when making the project. I may have started editing before the files was fully conformed, but when I try to clear and reimport theese files the program doesn´t try to conform the files again, so that didn´t help me.

• 3. Re: Audio stops playing on longer clips. MTS
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Predicated on a previous thread, where Audio came and went, only to come back, can you verify that the Audio is present up to a point in the Clip, and then disappears completely?

If it does, one likely cause is that the Conforming and Indexing did not complete, and the CFA (Conformed Audio file) was not allowed to finish being written. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio stops playing on longer clips. MTS
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Though it appears that the OP in this THREAD has another issue, see it for some more comments on truncated Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio stops playing on longer clips. MTS
                  ifixmedia Level 1

I think I found the bugger.

It seems like it was a program that I run that autobackups new and changed files on my HDD to the cloud (jottabackup.com). I found the media cache files and deleted those so that PrE would conform my files again. I set jotta to pause while conforming and now everything looks ok.

Thanks  for leading me back on track!

You're the best

• 6. Re: Audio stops playing on longer clips. MTS
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got things sorted out. As the working files in Premiere are large, autobackups, etc., can really cause issues.

I have also read of some issues, beyond just the CFA files, and similar, when using one backup scheme, Carbonite, and PrPro. Personally, I turn off all utilities, while editing, and then turn them back on, when done.

Good luck, and thank you for reporting the exact cause of your issue. I will keep that info handy for the future.

Hunt