8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2012 10:09 AM by FilmTalent RSS

.MTS Audio Files help needed

Nathanjrb Community Member

I'm having a little trouble with editing.

The footage I am editing are .MTS files. Both the audio and video.

The video is playing fine (well, as best it can for my rubbish uni computers) but I am having trouble hearing the audio - and I'm getting lots of conforming errors.

I read here that CS4 doesn't support .MTS audio files. If that's the case then why can I hear some of them and not the others?

Should I be converting the audio into another format before editing? If so, then what's the best format to convert to, and how can I do it in a way that I don't have to strip the audio from the video (I want to keep them perfectly synced)

Thanks in advance for your help,

Nath

• 1. Re: .MTS Audio Files help needed
          John T Smith CommunityMVP

When you create a new project and import your MTS file, do you have a red line over the timeline?

If you do, that means your project is not correct for your file

When you import a file, do you let the conforming status bar COMPLETELY finish before you try to do anything?

If you interrupt conforming, you cause problems

• 2. Re: .MTS Audio Files help needed

Thanks for your reply John!

There's no red line as far as I can see.

I don't always let the conforming complete, no. I'll give that a try next time. The files are quite large (about 30gb in total - I was filming a 2.5hr dance show with three cameras!) and it takes a while so I'll try be more patient and let you know. I'm not back in the editing suite until tomorrow. Thanks!

• 3. Re: .MTS Audio Files help needed

Hi John,

I'm sat in the editing suite now. I've imported just one of the files and left it to conform. Just as it neared the end I got a few errors stating:

"A disk error occured while attempting to write the following file: /Volumes/Dance Society Project/Camera 1 Nelly/Nelly0.MTS 48000.cfa"

Any ideas?

• 4. Re: .MTS Audio Files help needed

Oh and I'm on a Mac Pro. I don't know if that makes a difference!

• 5. Re: .MTS Audio Files help needed
                  the_wine_snob Community Member

It sounds like you have a hardware issue. Either the HDD, its controller or connection is going bad, or perhaps you have filled the HDD to capacity. How much free-space do you have remaining?

For a little background on Conforming, and Indexing for MPEG files, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: .MTS Audio Files help needed

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply, that's an interesting article. The files I am editing are stored on an external hard drive - I tried deleting a few files on there to make some room (whilst I was in the editing suite) and it wouldn't let me delete them because it said I didn't have administrator permission - despite this being my own hard drive. Could that be causing a problem with conforming? Should I copy the files accross onto the internal drive? The scratch disks are set to the local D drive.

Nath

Ps: I've just downloaded a program which is converting the .MTS files into .MOV. I don't really want to do this as this will probably loose quality - but I'm trying everything! What would be the optimum file type to convert to?

• 7. Re: .MTS Audio Files help needed
                      Ann Bens CommunityMVP

CS4 should edit mts files just fine, no need to convert.

Follow some basic rules.

Files to be edited on a internal drive.

Minimal of two fysical internal drives, one for OS and programs rest on the other one.

Let every conform before editing.

Make sure the computer is powerfull enough to edit AVCHD.

• 8. Re: .MTS Audio Files help needed
                        FilmTalent

I have also trouble with .mts files. The videopart is fine, but the audiopart is noicy. Extremely. When I check this original file in VLC player there is no problem. Windows media player won't play the sound, but the picture is fine. And also when I check the files on the camera there is no problem with the sound.

I don't have any error messages in premiere. I work on a up-to-date windows 7 machine, and I didn't have these issues a while a go. I think it's an update that did this.

Hopefully adobe can fix this soon? We have 4 computers running cs4. We also have 2 computers running cs5.5, and without these issues.