11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2012 3:46 PM by joe bloe premiere

online offline editing

ocean khan

we will be shooting in london with canon xf300(shoots in mpeg mxf) footage transcoded low resalution mpeg2(320x240) goes to india via FTP for offline edit, after the edit, premier project file comes back to london for confirmation,

issue is we are manually punching every offline file with the high resalution footage, is that any automated process?, its time consuming process,  wil be greatfull if any suggestion comes across, thnx

riaz khan, sasy entertainment pvt ltd

• 1. Re: online offline editing
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

The simplest way is to use identical filenames and file extensions

for the low resolution 'offline' proxy editing files you send to India.

0001.mpg (1920x1080) becomes 0001.mpg (320x240).

When you get your project file from the offline editor, if the absolute path

to the full-resolution media files is identical to what was used on the offline system,

your full-resolution media will automatically be linked on opening the project.

If the path to the media is not identical to what was used on the offline system,

you will be prompted to locate the first missing media file, and if all of the

full-resolution media files are in the same directory, all of the missing media

will be relinked in one step.

edit:

One more note, you probably will want to retain the original file's

image aspect ratio (1.77778) and pixel aspect (1.0) when you create

your low-res proxies in order to avoid problems in the online finish.

Instead of 320x240, I would use 320x180 @1.77778 x 1.0.

I would also instruct the offline editor to work in a 1920x1080 timeline,

and use the 'Scale to Frame Size' option on the low resolution proxies.

This will keep your offline timeline matching your final online footage.

another edit:

In your specific case since your original media files are .MXF format, I would

start by changing the file extensions to .mpg before importing and editing.

This will allow you to use the much more flexible mpeg2 encoding

to create your low-resolution proxies with identical filenames (and extensions).

The .MXF encoding options in AME are much more limited than mpeg2.

• 2. Re: online offline editing
            oceankhan2

thnx joe, i have issue loggin in the same account, started new account  oceankhan2,

once again thankyou very much for the prompt reply

0001.mpg (1920x1080) becomes 0001.mpg (320x240).

When you get your project file from the offline editor, if the absolute path

to the full-resolution media files is identical to what was used on the offline system,

your full-resolution media will automatically be linked on opening the project.

• is there any way to create same file extension for offline files?

One more note, you probably will want to retain the original file's

image aspect ratio (1.77778) and pixel aspect (1.0) when you create

your low-res proxies in order to avoid problems in the online finish.

Instead of 320x240, I would use 320x180 @1.77778 x 1.0.

• thnx for this tip

I would also instruct the offline editor to work in a 1920x1080 timeline,

and use the 'Scale to Frame Size' option on the low resolution proxies.

This will keep your offline timeline matching your final online footage.

• we  been doing this

another edit:

In your specific case since your original media files are .MXF format, I would

start by changing the file extensions to .mpg before importing and editing.

This will allow you to use the much more flexible mpeg2 encoding

to create your low-resolution proxies with identical filenames (and extensions).

The .MXF encoding options in AME are much more limited than mpeg2

• there is one more issue, canon xf305 records two tracks of audio, while encoding AME  transcode only one track, after the offline edit,  while connecting to source files, error message desplays, the connecting audio has multiple tracks,  actual offline file has single track,

AME white paper says its limited to single audio track encoding, is that the case shal we use differnt encoder like sorenson, or procoder?

UK event managment company outsource us to do edit in india, its terrabites of data, installed dedicated servers for transcoding, already we are runng deadline for delivery, will  be great favor helping to sort out this issue,

thanking you in advance

riaz khan

• 3. Re: online offline editing
              • is there any way to create same file extension for offline files?

The easiest way to flip multiple files in Media Encoder is to use a 'Watch Folder'.

You will need to create and save your proxy mpeg2 encoding settings first.

Drop your original files into the 'Watch Folder' and they will load into the queue.

On export Encoder will automatically create a sub-folder named 'Output' for the proxy .mpg files,

and move your original .mpg media to a folder named 'Source'.

Add a watch folder to the encoding queue

• there is one more issue, canon xf305 records two tracks of audio, while encoding AME  transcode only one track

Make sure you have Stereo selected in the Audio tab of your encoder settings.

stereo.png

• 4. Re: online offline editing
                oceankhan2 Level 1

thnx for the continues patroage joe, canon 305 source files gives MXF extensions, transcoded mpeg low res footage has mpeg extension,  while confirming premier ignore to select source files coz of difference in file extension,(as you mentioned earlier) i have treid adobe bridge to batch source files renaming the extensions to mpeg inorder, minimize the difference while confirming, is there any standard way of doing?, or i am missing somthing!

• 5. Re: online offline editing

i have treid adobe bridge to batch source files renaming the extensions to mpeg inorder, minimize the difference while confirming, is there any standard way of doing?

I have never had the need to batch rename extensions of multiple files,

however there are standardized methods available.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion based on their direct experience.

I would start here.

• 6. Re: online offline editing
                    oceankhan2 Level 1

thnx joe, one more question?(trouble)

this is on the hardware side, thinking of gettng more hardware for the transcoding, since the processing data is toomuch, just for the idea, used servers are cheaper to buy in UK 500$ we can get nice dual xenon 64bit processors good rams and etc etc, issue is we are using premier 5.5 for editing and confirming, hence the respective AME, is that posble to install AME as standalone utility in the server? if we trying to install with premier doesnt install becasue the desplay card issue, server desplay are poor, and older servers doesnt comes with pci express slot, hence no question of adding desplay adopter, not tried installing premier older versions in the servers,

therefore if we can manage to install AME in the servers as standalone or with premier,  we will be saving lot of time and money rendering and confirming in the server itself, 

hope you can shed some light in this

thnx

• 7. Re: online offline editing
                      ...is that posble to install AME as standalone utility in the server?

Not that I am aware of.

• 8. Re: online offline editing
                        oceankhan2 Level 1

Hi Joe, while using AME watch folder, as you mentioned, transcoded files goes to the output folder,  raw footage move to an source folder, issue is within the source folder it creat folder and folder will be an issue while confirming, is that any posble way to keep as simple in one folder?

again srry for the continues trouble, footages are somuch, try to avoid human element untill certain point, it will help us to keep expenses min in london

and we are new to the premier, just got down from the FCP bandwagon

thnx

riaz khan

• 9. Re: online offline editing

Someone will have to be responsible for managing media files... including this.

Since your original media files and the low resolution proxies will have identical

filenames and extensions they obviously can not be in the same folder.

Leave all of the media on the server in the 'Source' and 'Output' folders.

Have the offline editor download and use the proxies from the 'Output' folder.

When time comes for online, you use the files from the 'Source' folder instead.

Premiere will not operate using a remote media server, so the offline editor

will have to download files from somewhere... in this case, the 'Output' folder.

edit:

I will be happy to have you fly me to London and set this up for you.

• 10. Re: online offline editing
                            oceankhan2 Level 1

thnx for the interst joe, perhaps there will be a day we can afford to have you here, unfartunatly recent economical clouds in europe pushed us from film making to 'digital janitoring' to keep the setup alive either side,   more trouble than it is worth, lets pray and hope for the best, once again thankyou very much for the postings.

• 11. Re: online offline editing

...perhaps there will be a day we can afford to have you here...

Too bad... I already told my wife I was going.

Good luck.