Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 8 (CS) in Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a question: Will Photoshop 8 run correctly on Win7 SP1 64 bit? I ask this because this Microsoft article: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Adobe%20... reports this version as compatible with W7 32 and 64 bit.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no easy, direct yes or no answer.

Some older versions of software assume you're the administrator of your computer and that might require you to disable UAC or open up a bunch of permissions in order for them to run properly.  You can, of course, do this, but does that make them "compatible"?  Perhaps you don't want to run with UAC disabled, because that might open you up to other issues.

I have Photoshop 6.0 running just fine on a Windows 7 x64 system (and I personally do prefer to disable UAC, and know how to manage my system so that's not a security risk).

The answer is a qualified yes.

So, assuming you have a copy, go install it and see what works and what doesn't.  Ask questions here if you have problems.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel Carboni and Mylenium and thanks for your answers,

I have UAC turned on (with maximum security), but if I run Photoshop with administrator privilges (right click on Photoshop icon then select run as administrator) will it work properly? I have the latest drivers for my computer.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible.  But Photoshop is not the only executable in the package.  A number of components get installed and run, so again it's not just a simple answer.

Please try it and let us know your experience.  We may be able to suggest specific things that will help you overcome individual issues.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi one more question:

One more question: Will this work with aero theme? So is it compatible with Win7 aero theme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been my experience that virtually all programs, if they are compatible at all will generally work with Aero enabled.  I have personally run Photoshop CS on a VISTA system with Aero enabled - no problem.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel Carboni,

I tested Adobe PS CS1 (version 8) in win7 32bit in a virtual OS (with UAC disabled) and it works ok, BUT: when I tried to uninstall it, it didn't work: When I went to the add/remove programs in w7 I clicked on Photoshop and then the uninstall wizard appeared correctly, but then when I clicked on next it looked like it uninstalled because it said : uninstall was successfull (or something similar). BUT: in the add/remove control panel item still showed Photoshop cs, and when went into Program Files I noticed that Photoshop was still there.

Can you please confirm or refute this behavior in your Vista system? Because I tested PS in virtual Vista OS also, and the same thing happened (was not uninstalled)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I don't have a system set up to be able to easily test that right now - sorry.  I would like to keep the installation on the Vista system I mentioned just as it is for future product testing.

At some point - after Photoshop CS I believe - Adobe made a "Creative Suite Cleaner Tool", which is a script I think, for helping with issues such as what you've described.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and thanks for the reply,

Ok, I understand, but will you able at some time to test this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite likely not.  I'm really not that interested in how Photoshop CS behaves any longer to be honest with you.  That's water under the bridge.  I'd like to spend more time with Photoshop CS6.

What is your motivation here?  I'm curious why you seem to want so much detailed guidance for using Photoshop CS with a modern operating system.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My motivation: I don't need the new features of PS CS2,3,4,5,6 and I just wanted to know if it is compatible with win7 or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fair enough, but why do you think I should test it for you?  Isn't that something you could do?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried cs on windows 7, but i do have it installed on vista x 64, in which uac is similar to windows 7 maximum setting and seems to run fine. There are a few small glitches with imageready, but photoshop cs itself seems to work fine.

I just installed cs as an administrator (right click on the installer and choose Run as administrator)

Once installed it should run normally without having to run as an administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will run in one way or the other, but "correctly"? That is too broad a term. Using legacy software with newer operating systems is inevitably bound to cause some problems due to drivers not being recognized, apps not dealing with very large screens and so on...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines