20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2012 11:23 AM by able123 RSS

cell phone pay as you go - need advice

Community Member

Yikes... my head is spinning...I have seen so many phones the past few days ( and reviews etc ) on internet sites... I am totally lost.

had a cell phone years ago when motorola made them first.. traxar or something ?? was expensive ( $800 ? ).. and had monthly ATT service unlimited ( also expensive ).

that was during 1st season of " sopranos ".. long time ago.

since then I've just had a land line...with fios... internet and tv included.

now I need a cell phone again due to move to MN from NY. I have no clue how long it will take to get internet out there etc... in new apartment.

my computers will get set up right away when I get there..and one has a wi fi card installed ...so if I can find wi fi thats not passwrd protected .... I could maybe use it ...for internet. BUT ( this is a big BUT ) some stuff I do ( banking etc ) on internet is security sensitive to ME.... and I dont want to get virus through some network or have my security breached.

SOOOOO ... question is... can I get a pay as you go phone that also has features for basic email ( in and out ) and also a browser like firefox so I can do banking etc ???

ORRRRR should I just get a simple phone with no other services.... and then use whatever I can find in MN until I get my stuff hooked up....( like library computer or something ).

I am so confused by all the choices and different model phones etc... my head is spinning !!!

• 1. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
          John T Smith MVP

Take a look at http://www.tracfone.com/

Hardware & plans range from simple flip phone to at least "semi" smart phones... probably not on a level with a big, dedicated service, but likely enough for "simple" email and browsing

• 2. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
            lasvideo Community Member

Or AT&T Go phones.

• 3. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
              Community Member

Thanks you guys ! I bookmarked the link you sent John.. and will look at what you suggested Lasvideo. Going to a walmart tomorrow.. looked it up on internet. theres one pretty close by me...maybe they have those choices.

thanks !

• 4. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                Chuck A. McIntyre Community Member

Rod:

Did I read that right, you moved from NY to Minnesota?

Related to cell phones, I have been going through the same thing.  It's all very confusing by design and everything except the phones are overpriced IMO.  I am a fan of Samsung products.  I like the Galaxy S2.  Here is a company I hope gets their product off the ground.  Challenging the status quo is often dangerous.  Remember Tucker? This phone does what I think all phones should do, default to a WIFI hot spot and if one is not available, use the standard cell network.  Clear has great wireless coverage here in Atlanta and would be ideal for use with the Republic Wireless product.  It's in beta.  They are promising unlimited everything for $20 per month.

http://republicwireless.com/

• 5. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                  J. Simon Community Member

Walmart's own Straight Talk is a pretty good deal.  You get 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 30 GB of data for $30 (+ tax, so about $33).  Or Unlimited everything for $45/month.

They have a range of phones available, both in stores and online.

• 6. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                    Community Member

thanks Chuck, Jim... will go to walmart in morning and check out stuff...

Chuck, moving to MN approx May 15.... so this phone is so I can shut off fios, make transition .. and have a phone to use during move ...

I have a feeling I'm gonna need to be calling tons of people to get the move finished once I get to new place.

hope you all have a great night's sleep etc... will let you know what happens.

• 7. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice

Rod:

Will you be working in the TV/film industry in Minnesota?

• 8. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                        Community Member

Chuck,

============

Will you be working in the TV/film industry in Minnesota?

=============

I dont think so. My first reaction to this question was : I would rather have a sharp stick in my eye.

But giving it more thought, I realize unless I find some staff position with a producer where I actually add value to the enterprise I would rather not work freelance ( per diem ) anymore. I need more than that now, but also less. I need less " money" but I need more re: my contribution.. even if it's simply helping others do what they want.

I have a feeling MN is not going to be full of opportunities to do that in the film and tv biz ( or tv commercials, industrials etc ) whether on shoot crews, construction, rigging, production, editing, sound, etc.  It may be that fishing is the main activity out there... as there are a lot of lakes where I'm going. They must have fish in them ?  It's weird but somehow " fishes " seems to be beckoning me to some new life out of the city etc.  First it was trout. Now its trout again... plus even MORE fish types... who knows.. I have no clue about fish.

For example, what do fish actually DO ?  They are doing stuff under water and its hard to see them and what they actually DO all day long etc. To me its a mystery.

Anyway, I am now having internet, phone and TV service installed at new apartment before I get there...made the arrangements this morning.... and the need for a cell phone etc has been greatly reduced... I might not get anything at all now for the actual " drive " out there.

Will see what my money situation is in next week or so... might get cell phone but not the internet and email stuff just for the drive.  Every penny counts when moving and leaving the biz you've done for the last 30 plus years etc.

Rod

• 9. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice

Rod wrote:
                          " It may be that fishing is the main activity out there... as there are a lot of lakes where I'm going. They must have fish in them ?  It's weird but somehow " fishes " seems to be beckoning me to some new life out of the city etc.  First it was trout. Now its trout again... plus even MORE fish types... who knows.. I have no clue about fish."

We have a lake about 20 minutes from my home.  Jeff Bellune knows about it... Lake Lanier.  It's such a big lake, I thought fishing would be a waste of time.  I was wrong about that. In the past three weeks my friend (has a fishing license) caught 4 decent size Spotted Bass and 2 monster Striped bass weigning in at over 10lbs each.  We had BBQ'd fish last night and I found a 6 star recipe for Striped Bass.  Supposedly Striped Bass is not as good eating as Spotted Bass, but whoever said that is wrong.  As long as you cut out the red meat, soak the meat in baking soda and water for a while, you are good to go.  This particular Striped Bass recipe calls for a cup of olive oil 4 cloves of garlic, a cup of cilantro, lime juice, zest and a little salt and pepper.  My wife thinks it's the best fish she has ever had.bills_striped_bass.jpg

• 10. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                            Community Member

==========

Supposedly Striped Bass is not as good eating as Spotted Bass, but whoever said that is wrong.  As long as you cut out the red meat, soak the meat in baking soda and water for a while, you are good to go.  This particular Striped Bass recipe calls for a cup of olive oil 4 cloves of garlic, a cup of cilantro, lime juice, zest and a little salt and pepper.  My wife thinks it's the best

=========

Being a Neanderthal re: fish in general ( like a caveman during that time when men evolved from apes ) I would probably just eat the thing right away near where I caught it... with little more than some fire and some sort of pan.

Which makes me wonder.... talking about evolution .... if we evolved from apes, how come there are still apes ??

But that answer will have to take the back burner as I cook the good fishes that come out of nowhere ( under water ) and satisfy my hunger.

Your recipe will go a long way to helping me enjoy that whale of a fish you and your friend caught. " Thar she blows " comes to mind, when I think of the fish you got... and ate ....

Maybe I can find some camera out there and shoot some fish stories to make us laugh and enjoy the mystery of fish.

ps.. WOW !!! I DIDNT SEE THE PIC OF FISH UNTIL AFTER I WROTE THIS...HOLY SMOKES !!!!! THAR SHE BLOWS !!!!!

• 11. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                              Absoflan

able123 wrote:

==========

Which makes me wonder.... talking about evolution .... if we evolved from apes, how come there are still apes ??

Because we didn't evolve from apes. We have a common ancestry with them. A common misconception about evolution. It's not like Pokemon.

FCP users, however, are evolving into Prem. Pro users. That's why there aren't as many around these days.

• 12. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                                the_wine_snob Community Member

Some have speculated that the dinosaurs were faced with similar issues. The mammals went with Premiere Pro, but the dinosaurs stuck with FCP. One day, they had just disappeared...

Now, we could take Rod's question, a few million (over a billion?) years back, and change a few words. If some are correct, we began as amino acids, then evolved into gray slime, them into protozoas, then into fish, and finally crawled out of the ocean, and on to the land. If that is correct, why do we still have amino acids, gray slime (maybe that was where "piink slime" started?), protozoas and fish?

Hunt

• 13. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                                  J. Simon Community Member

The mammals went with Premiere Pro

Researches have recently discovered evidence that suggests the learning curve for After Effects is the most significant factor contributing to the increase in primate cranial capacity from our earliest ancestors to modern day humans.

• 14. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice

Jim,

I had not encountered that study/theory, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Hunt

• 15. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                                      Community Member

I agree... challenges bring out the best in us.

This morning I woke up and felt like a snail sticking its head out of shell after a thunderstorm... and quickly pulled blankets back over head.

This is because I saw " stuff " that I need to move from NY to MN soon.

But now, hours later, and awake and moving about like a normal human, I realize I only need to get creative and things will be fine.

And my brain capacity will increase maybe by a few gray cells getting all that stimulus due to challenges.

For example, keeping a small box of camping pots and pans and a fork, spoon, can opener etc near rear of UHaul Truck.. will facilitate eating the cans of Chili I have on the exhaust manifold for lunch and dinner as I drive thousands of miles along roads I have no clue about.

eg.... can trucks drive on this road ??? I will find out soon enough !  Hit the gas and keep going, is my motto !

Of course the challenge of " refrigeration " will be encountered... like, how to have nice cold milk in morning for my Fruit Loops ?

This is nothing compared to the challenge of After Effects ( or check out Maya if you really want your head to spin ).. but every little challenge helps.

ps

I just bought a mega million ticket for one dollar. the jackpot is up to about 1 gazillion dollars. but i wont change if i win... you know, i wont stop being " me "

• 16. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                                        Community Member

I have thought longer about winning the mega million jackpot.. and have decided that I would stop being " me " immediately if I win.

I have no idea who I will be, but it wont be me.

For one thing, I just got in the mail my official " honorary withdrawal " from film biz union. And so even before winning the jackpot I am not me anymore.

Deleting the link to the " available list " in my browser was an emotional moment. Like a little fish eyeing some juicy ant egg.. and saying to itself, " Ahhh, those were the good old days... when I loved to eat ant eggs.... but now I must move on and look for something else "

And now consider the biggest problem for those who win the lottery. In a nutshell, it is this: They are not prepared.

The first thing you want to do after buying said ticket is " start planning ".  For example, I just called the "Garden City Hotel " and asked about the availability of their Penthouse Suite. I am informed it is available should I win 640 million dollars tonight, and that I can smoke in my rooms. I would also have access to a private concierge, arranging stuff like getting chinese food I order up to my room etc.  Having plans and knowing what to do is very important in the film biz, and also in life, IMO.

So plan ahead !  And good luck winning 2nd prize if you also bought any mega million tickets, cause I hope I don't have to share my winning ticket with you .

• 17. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice

Well, I have begun my planning. Thanks for the advice.

I have already promised to fund one of my favorite charities for the next ten years. I think they are pulling for me to win... ?

There have been a few wines, that I have always had to take a "pass" on, and maybe I will indulge myself a bit. Hope they are as good, as I anticipate them to be. Over many decades, I have often had ideas of how good and rewarding something would be. Then, after years of anticipation, I have found that many were not any "big deal" afterall. Such is life.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                                            Community Member

there seems to have been a terrrible blunder on the part of the ping pong ball numbering in this evening's drawing.

• 19. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice

I agree. I noticed that all of my numbers were clearly seen on the floor, before the drawing. Oh well, guess my charities will just have to get by with my current level of minimal support. They were the "biggest loosers" last night.

Hunt

• 20. Re: cell phone pay as you go - need advice
                                                Community Member

you saw your numbers on the FLOOR ! ???

Were they just laying there, or were they attached to ping pong balls ???

You see, I am convinced the correct ping pong balls got selected... but somebody had put the WRONG NUMBERS on those balls !!!!

I wonder if I can make a complaint to the ping pong ball number attachers union ???