1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 8:40 PM by Bo LeBeau

Updated to latest ACR 6.6 but still can't open CR2 files from Canon Rebel XSi

dupajaha

I updated to latest version of Adobe Camera Raw 6.6 but still can't seem to open my CR2 files in Photoshop. Can't open them in Lightroom either, no preview in Bridge or OS.

I'm running OS 10.7.2 and Photshop 12.1 x 64 which is CS5.1 I suppose.

I've downloaded Canon's EOS utility hoping that would somehow do something as well but nothing.

The images were shot on Canon Rebel XSi which is certainly supported by the newest version of ACR. So I have no clue as to what's happening... I previously downloaded these images onto my old laptop about a year ago and everything was fine, however now I'm not even getting a preview in OS. Do I have to revert to an older version of ACR (perhaps the same one I used originally?) to open these files again? These files have been stored on a hard drive, so I'm not downloading them directly from the camera-again, this probably has nothing to do with it but not sure what to do. A lot of the posts I've seen recommend downloading the latest version of ACR to fix the issue, but again I've done that and as a matter of fact the camera (Rebel XSi) has been supported for some time now...

In OS, when the image is selected no preview:

Screen Shot 2012-03-25 at 11.40.43 PM.png

Lightroom error:

Screen Shot 2012-03-25 at 11.38.39 PM.png

Bridge, no preview:

Screen Shot 2012-03-25 at 11.37.11 PM.png

Photoshop error:

Screen Shot 2012-03-25 at 11.37.38 PM.png

Ideas, suggestions?

66 views on this discussion so far and no replies...

Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Arthur

• 1. Re: Updated to latest ACR 6.6 but still can't open CR2 files from Canon Rebel XSi
          Bo LeBeau Level 4

Something appears to be wrong with your files.

Are most of your images approx. 3.7 MB?

This is very small for a 12 MP image.

If you go back to the original file on your laptop, what is the file size?

Also the fact that the Mac OS is not showing the preview is unusual.

Perhaps these files got corrupted when they were moved to your new computer.

Can you open these files OK on your old laptop?

Is the OS showing the previews on your old laptop?

Also compare the file sizes between old and new computer.

Have you tried repairing your permissions?

Try Disk Utility in your Macs Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility to see if this helps.

Good Luck!