12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 2:19 AM by osgood_

    wordpress help?

    manojb05 Level 1

      I am knowledge in creating website with dreamweaver, but i am not aware of wordpress.

      1) What is the difference between normal site & wordpress site.

      2) Its any difference which porgramme is support to develop wordpress design

      Please help me

        • 1. Re: wordpress help?
          hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

          Hi manojb05,

          ---------my answer is not needed > del---------

          Hans-Günter

          • 2. Re: wordpress help?
            martcol Level 4

            Wordpress is a stand-alone CMS that you can use without Dreamweaver.  It is based on PHP and HTML/CSS all of which are the technologies that you can use Dreamweaver to develop with.

             

            Wordpress has a mass of resources that explains every facet of building a site and then some.  You can find all manner of tools that will help you to build the site you want.

             

            A Wordpress site is referred to as a dynamic site.  Maybe what you refer to as a "normal" site is referred to as static.  With a static site, what you develop on your local machine is what you upload to your server and what people see in the browser.  With a dynamic site, the pages are built dynamically with PHP calling different aspects of the page and serving them to the browser.  It is more complex and takes a bit to get your head round.

             

            If you want to use Wordpress, you don't really need Dreamweaver.  You can install Wordpress (or ask your host to do it), find a theme that you like and off you go.  If you want to really bend Wordpress to your will then you will need to get into the code a bit more and Dreamweaver can help you there.  One way to test if Wordpress is for you is to get yourself a free wordpress site on Wordpress.com just to play around with.  It will get you some experience with the interface and understanding how it works.  However, with that option you are very restricted with the themes, plugins and editing that you can do.

             

            There is so much to say about Wordpress or any other dynamic, CMS based web building that it is probably too much to answer in a forum thread like this.   Hans idea to just Google away at it is a good one and you will very quickly learn whether it is for you.

             

            Martin

            • 3. Re: wordpress help?
              manojb05 Level 1

              thanks, Hans & Martin. Ru guys make a any wordpress site. Because i know html, css, little bit PHP. I want to learn more wordpress site & make.

              Guys i want to check

              1) how can you seek wordpress, any tutorial something like

              • 4. Re: wordpress help?
                osgood_ Level 8

                Heres my view on Wordpress.

                 

                Decide what you want to use it for. Many competent web designers just want to use it as a CMS (Content Management System). They want to integrate it into a current site they have designed.

                 

                The problem is this. Although there are many resources about Wordpress most are very poorly written, always assuming you know more than what you do. Many are out of date and are completey useless. It takes an age to find any tutorial that clearly explains and shows you exactly how to integrate Wordpress into your existing site as a CMS.

                 

                Wordpress is fine if you just want to use an out-of-the-box pre-built themed template BUT changing the styling will be complex for those that have little to no hands-on css knowledge. A lot of the css files that ship with the pre-built themes even scare the pants off of me even though I regard myself as pretty good with css. To change anything in the template you have to identify what css is associated with what <div> in the theme BECAUSE you are not familar with the structure as you have'nt built it and haven't written the css..........frustrating or what!

                 

                Ok, so let's forget pre-built Wordpress templates. Let's assume we have our own design and own css files we want to use as a CMS (Content Management System). Integrating Wordpress is a very simple procedure if you know where to look and what to look for and more so the complete garbage to avoid and beleive me I've read some complete garbage that gets you nowhere fast.

                 

                First go to this tutorial below. Even though it's out of date the principle of creating your own 'template' pages from you own design remains the same in the current version of Wordpress.

                 

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o2XcHqQbRY

                 

                Once you have your pages transfered over into Wordpress you are likely to be frustarted by its inflexibilty to cerate more that one editable content block per page. Don't worry, find a plug-in if you can. After hours of searching and hours of testing this plug-in and that plug-in I eventally found:

                 

                Wordpress multiple-content-blocks plugin - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multiple-content-blocks/

                 

                This plugin will allow you to create multiple editable content blocks on your page. So now you have a fully integarted CMS in you site.

                 

                Also investigate Concrete5. This CMS is gaining lots of support and is superior in every aspect to Wordpress. Much easier to integrate into your existing website design. In-context and intuitive editing, blocks can be moved on the page, pages can be moved into the order you want. Its a CMS software NOT a blogging software as Wordpress is.

                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: wordpress help?
                  hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

                  Hi manojb05,

                  ---------my answer not needed > del---------

                  Hans-Günter

                  • 6. Re: wordpress help?
                    martcol Level 4

                    osgood_ wrote:

                     

                    Heres my view on Wordpress.

                     

                    The problem is this. Although there are many resources about Wordpress most are very poorly written, always assuming you know more than what you do. Many are out of date and are completey useless. It takes an age to find any tutorial that clearly explains and shows you exactly how to integrate Wordpress into your existing site as a CMS.

                     

                    That's my experience. I am quite impressed with Wordpress but have to say that it isn't easy.  In fact it is complicated.  osgood also makes the point that it is fine for an off-the-shelf option but if you don't have a half-decent grasp of HTML/CSS it will be a difficult thing to grapple with.  If you know HTML/CSS and PHP it should be much more straight forward.

                     

                    Martin

                    • 7. Re: wordpress help?
                      martcol Level 4

                      Maybe this will give you more to think about

                       

                      http://forums.adobe.com/thread/980194?tstart=30

                       

                      Martin

                      • 8. Re: wordpress help?
                        osgood_ Level 8

                        martcol wrote:

                         

                        That's my experience. I am quite impressed with Wordpress but have to say that it isn't easy.  In fact it is complicated.  osgood also makes the point that it is fine for an off-the-shelf option but if you don't have a half-decent grasp of HTML/CSS it will be a difficult thing to grapple with.  If you know HTML/CSS and PHP it should be much more straight forward.

                         

                        Martin

                         

                        Just as an aside note have you found a decent simple way of including an 'editable global content block' on a page in Wordpress?

                         

                        Example: Suppose I have a 'Latest News' section on all the website pages in my site. I want to update this 'Latest News' section WITHOUT having to manually edit every single block on each Wordpress page that contains the 'Lastest News' section..........something that you can change in one 'Lastest News'  content block which will update the content in all the 'Latest News' blocks?

                         

                        Concrete5.5 CMS has a feature called 'GlobalArea' where all the information in a 'GlobalArea' named 'Latest News' gets updated if you change it in one of the 'Lastest News Global Area' blocks. It's really very good.

                         

                        I may start a new thread about this as it likely to get lost here.

                        • 9. Re: wordpress help?
                          osgood_ Level 8

                          martcol wrote:

                           

                          I am quite impressed with Wordpress but have to say that it isn't easy.  In fact it is complicated.  ard.

                           

                          Martin

                           

                          Yup and the Wordpress forum is rubbish. Most respondants to questions pose more questions than what are answered. You generally leave none the wiser and more confused.  I agree Wordpress is impressive but it struggles as a CMS because it is really blogging software.

                          • 10. Re: wordpress help?
                            martcol Level 4

                            osgood_ wrote:

                             

                            Yup and the Wordpress forum is rubbish. Most respondants to questions pose more questions than what are answered. You generally leave none the wiser and more confused.  I agree Wordpress is impressive but it struggles as a CMS because it is really blogging software.

                            I agree with that too.  With WP stuff I find the Sitepont forum much better.  They have a dedicated board and it can be quite helpful there.  I find the WP.org forum takes ages to get help, many people either assume a lot of knowledge from the poster and some can be a bit sniffy.

                             

                            osgood_ wrote:

                             

                            Just as an aside note have you found a decent simple way of including an 'editable global content block' on a page in Wordpress?

                             

                            Example: Suppose I have a 'Latest News' section on all the website pages in my site. I want to update this 'Latest News' section WITHOUT having to manually edit every single block on each Wordpress page that contains the 'Lastest News' section..........something that you can change in one 'Lastest News'  content block which will update the content in all the 'Latest News' blocks?

                             

                            I wonder if this covers what you're asking:

                             

                            I am developing this site at the moment using Wordpress: martcol.co.uk/brightontherapyservice/

                             

                            Using WP, you know already that you don't have to set the home page as the blog so in that site, the News section is the blog page.  You can seaprate out content quite easily using categories.  I have developed another site with Wordpress (pictopoetry.co.uk) where the poems and the blog are both posts that the site owner puts up and they are sparated out with category pages in WP.

                             

                            I guess if you want the same posts to appear on lots of pages you would use The Loop and restrict it by using categories, the date of posting or the number displayed.  But that would all be using that nasty PHP shizzle so, it would take me a while and some posting on wordpress, here and Sitepoint to figure it out!

                             

                            Martin

                             

                            Hmmm... I haven't answered your question, have I.

                            • 11. Re: wordpress help?
                              osgood_ Level 8

                              martcol wrote:

                               

                              I wonder if this covers what you're asking:

                               

                              I am developing this site at the moment using Wordpress: martcol.co.uk/brightontherapyservice/

                               

                              Using WP, you know already that you don't have to set the home page as the blog so in that site, the News section is the blog page.  You can seaprate out content quite easily using categories.  I have developed another site with Wordpress (pictopoetry.co.uk) where the poems and the blog are both posts that the site owner puts up and they are sparated out with category pages in WP.

                               

                              I guess if you want the same posts to appear on lots of pages you would use The Loop and restrict it by using categories, the date of posting or the number displayed.  But that would all be using that nasty PHP shizzle so, it would take me a while and some posting on wordpress, here and Sitepoint to figure it out!

                               

                              Martin

                               

                              Hmmm... I haven't answered your question, have I.

                               

                              Not quite what I want. I'm trying to avoid the 'posts' part of Wordpress because they will confuse the client as they show up under the 'links' list along with the pages. So if a client wants to link to a page then they will see all the posts listed which is ugly as the post names won't mean anything to a client.

                               

                              This must be simple....all I'm trying to do is update a block of code on one Wordpress page which will update all blocks with the same name on other pages.

                               

                              I say it must be simple but I'm begining to wonder having spend several hours trawling Google and coming up with very little.

                              • 12. Re: wordpress help?
                                osgood_ Level 8

                                Below works, I found it while searching Google. It's a post but I guess for now since there arent going to be many Editable Global Areas on a website I can live with it.

                                 

                                <? query_posts('category_name=editable');

                                ?>

                                <?php if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) :

                                 

                                the_post(); ?>

                                <?php the_title(); ?>

                                <?php the_content( __('Read the

                                 

                                rest of this page »', 'template')); ?>

                                <?php endwhile; endif; ?>

                                 

                                 

                                http://webdesignfactory.deviantart.com/journal/Wordpress-multiple-editable-regions-2258967 30