2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 5:04 AM by Lutzzz

Problems with scaling

Lutzzz Level 1

Hello everybody,

I have a massive problem while scaling parts of a video.

The frame size is 1440 x 1080, in the middle of the clip I go for 200% scaling for a while.

The output clip shows the following problem: It starts and ends with black edges above and under the frame; only in the scene where I used 200% scaling the frame grows to full size (1440 x 1080). And as soon as I go back zu 100% the black edges appear again.

That's of course not what I wanted. I tried for 4 days now and I can't find an option or anything else that seems to say something like "keep frame size while scaling" ... know what I mean?

For an example you can have a look at this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPRD_iCQG5c&feature=plcp&context=C499f59bVDvjVQa1PpcFOus661 y0ODK6Zo8aFyOtZkayuQijkDOcM%3D

Scaling happens from 01:19 on ...

I hope somebody can help me!?!?!?

Thanks in advance!!!

• 1. Re: Problems with scaling
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're scaling your video to 200%? You know this will only result in a fuzzy, blurry video, right? You could also end up with interlacing issues. You can't add pixels where they aren't there, after all. So you can't take a 720x480 video and pump it up to 1440x1080 and expect it to look like hi-def.

What model of camcorder is your original video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you selected the correct project settings for your video, you should see NO red lines above the clips when you add them to your timeline. Is this the case in your project?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problems with scaling
            Lutzzz Level 1

Hi Steve,

thnaks for your quick resonse!

I'm filming in1920 x 1080 with an Canon XA10, the output is 1440 x 1080. So the loss of quality is not that heavy. But I need to zoom in because sometimes I have to show details closer ...

But in the meantime I solved the problem: I used the wrong Premiere tool. I used "scaling" instead of "cut & trim" (I don't know if this is the correct English term, I use the German software)!
            With "cut & trim" it's a little bit more difficult, but finally it looks the way I want it to

Neverthless thanks again and kind regards,

Lutz