7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 2:48 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

Force clipping mask to INCLUDE stroke

drmrbrewer Level 1

I have a text layer I wish to use as a clipping mask, for an image above.  But the text layer also has a stroke around the outside of the text, to thicken it a bit.  I want the stroked part to be included as part of the mask, i.e. for the image above to be projected onto both the text body AND the stroke around it.  However, it seems that the stroke is ignored, and only the basic text shape used as the mask.

How do I achieve an effect whereby the image above is projected also onto the stroke?

I have a similar problem with a shape layer I have.  It is a rounded rectangle shape, but I am only using the shape to act as a path around which I stroke to create a 20px frame.  I want the frame (only the frame) to be used as a clipping mask, so that an image is projected only onto that frame, and NOT inside or outside the frame -- only on the frame.  I can set the "fill" to 0% to create a transparent interior, so that all I have is a frame, and transparency inside and out (which I would then hope is a great clipping mask to use for my purpose), but I guess photoshop views this as being entirely transparent (i.e. effectively no mask at all) because it ignores the stroke part completely.

How do I achieve what I want with the stroked frame?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Force clipping mask to INCLUDE stroke
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

How do I achieve an effect whereby the image above is projected also onto the stroke?

Convert the Text Layer (edit: with the Stroke naturally) to a Smart Object.

• 2. Re: Force clipping mask to INCLUDE stroke
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I want the frame (only the frame) to be used as a clipping mask

Again the (or at least one) answer is: Smart Objects

strokeLayerMaskScr.jpg

• 3. Re: Force clipping mask to INCLUDE stroke
              drmrbrewer Level 1

OK, Smart Objects are something I haven't yet got my head around -- I will take a look.

Does that apply to stroked shapes too, i.e. with reference to my "frame" example where I want transparency inside and outside of a frame, and where that frame is created entirely by a stroke (i.e. is not part of the shape in itself)?

[EDIT] Sorry, my post crossed with your second one.  It definitely appears that Smart Objects are the answer to all my prayers.  Will (finally) delve into that feature and see what it can do for me.

• 4. Re: Force clipping mask to INCLUDE stroke
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

OK, Smart Objects are something I haven't yet got my head around -- I will take a look.

In case you work with Photoshop professionally I think you should educate yourself on Smart Objects indeed, otherwise you are likely to damage images (in montages) unnecessarily or work less efficiently than desirable.

• 5. Re: Force clipping mask to INCLUDE stroke
                  drmrbrewer Level 1

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

In case you work with Photoshop professionally I think you should educate yourself on Smart Objects indeed, otherwise you are likely to damage images (in montages) unnecessarily or work less efficiently than desirable.

That's interesting.  I'm not a professional, and I guess (till now) I have not found a situation where I would NEED a "smart object".  Perhaps these smart objects should be reserved for those occasions, when you can see no other way... rather than being used indiscriminately.  I also do find it a bit odd that the clipping mask doesn't do what I want as a normal shape layer (I feel it should), but does as a Smart Object.

In addition, is it just me who thinks that -- intuitively -- the shape/text layer is the clipping mask, and that the mask should be on TOP of the image it is masking, rather than BELOW?  Think of a children's stencil, which you put on top of the paper and not below it.

• 6. Re: Force clipping mask to INCLUDE stroke
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I also do find it a bit odd that the clipping mask doesn't do what I want as a normal shape layer (I feel it should), but does as a Smart Object.

Layer Styles are applied to Clipping Mask Groups, so the behaviour is as expected.

If the Layer with the Style has been converted to a Smart Object the Style is still a Style in the SO, but in the container document the SO funtions like a plain Layer.

• 7. Re: Force clipping mask to INCLUDE stroke
                      c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Perhaps these smart objects should be reserved for those occasions, when you can see no other way... rather than being used indiscriminately.

Well, basically you could do almost everything you can do with Smart Objects without them, too. (With the exception of 3D-, video-Smart Objects and Stack Modes, I guess.)

But if you ever have more than one instance of an element in an image that may have to be changed later on or have to transform, warp, puppet warp, filter an element again because you notice that the original application was not ideal … then Smart Objects do offer advantages.