4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 5:02 AM by jocstone_me

GREP find & replace question

jocstone_me Level 1

hi,

here is my problem,

I have a huge list with names, each name is one or more words devided by a space,

each name is devided with a tab.

now I want to do the following, every 7th tab should change into a return.

so finaly I will end up with a list with 7 names in a row.

now it looks like this:

name[tab]name[tab]name name[tab]name[tab]name name name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[tab ]name[tab]name[tab]

this should it be:

name[tab]name[tab]name name[tab]name[tab]name name name[tab]name[tab]name[ENTER]

name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[tab]name[ENTER]

name[tab]name[tab]

thanks!!

• 1. Re: GREP find & replace question
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

That's perfectly doable! This ought to work: search for

(([^\t]+\t){6}[^\t]+)\t

and replace with

$1\r

It looks for any sequence of any number of not-a-tab, followed by a tab, all in a group of 6, and followed by yet another sequence of not-a-tab characters, and then one final tab that's going to be the little piggy that's not going to the market today.

• 2. Re: GREP find & replace question
            jocstone_me Level 1

you are te greatest!

it works!

so [^\t] means any character, not tab?

• 3. Re: GREP find & replace question
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

That is correct.

[...] defines a character set -- any single character or character code in it is valid, as a single character. The canonical example is "h[auo]t", which matches "hat", "hot", and "hut" but not "hit", "het", or "haut".

In normal use the character '^' is the code for "start of paragraph", but it looses this magical property inside a [...] set -- most other special codes do. When used as the very first code inside the character set definition it reverses the regular meaning.

Thus, "h[^auo]t" will match "hit" and "het", as well as "hAt", "h?t", "hät", "h䰫t" -- etc.; really anything except the three in the example above.

In your case, I used "[^\t]+" as a fast way to indicate "everything in between tabs".

• 4. Re: GREP find & replace question
                jocstone_me Level 1

now I get it...

I absorbe this into my brain...

in one click now my 5331 names are divided in 7 columns (don't ask why ) and thats what I wanted!

thank you!