6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 11:52 AM by JeffInPoulsbo2

How do I Sync sound in a music video for youtube?

JeffInPoulsbo2 Level 1

Equipment: Dell Studio 540, Win 7 64 bit, Quad CPU,  Q9650 @ 3GHz; NVidia GeForce GTS 240; Monitor: Dell ST2410 Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

I have a sound track .mp3 file that is a stereo musical recording exported from ProTools. My video clips are from a panasonic hdc-sd90 "1920x1080 Progressive" I am not convinced I have the correct settings in PrePro CS5.5 when I started the project because I didn't find my camera and I notice when I prepare to export media it says my clips are 1280x1080. Also they are 27.97 fps except for a rolling credit which appears to be 23.976 fps. THe export media engine seems to think they are all at 23.976. That said, the audio and video are in sync in PrePro when viewed within the editor but on export are not.

I selected H.264 and YouTubeSD for the format.

Can I do something to lock the sound with the videos? Am I picking the wrond export setting? Would it help if I group the video clips? When I tried to link them I can do one clip but when I highlight other clips I am directed to either group or unlink clips. Any help aprpeciated.

JeffInPoulsbo

• 1. Re: How do I Sync sound in a music video for youtube?
          Jim Curtis Level 3

I have a sound track .mp3 file that is a stereo musical recording exported from ProTools.

Why, in heaven's name, would anybody working in ProTools give you an mp3 mix?  Do you have something against good quality audio?

My video clips are from a panasonic hdc-sd90 "1920x1080 Progressive" I am not convinced I have the correct settings in PrePro CS5.5 when I started the project because I didn't find my camera and I notice when I prepare to export media it says my clips are 1280x1080.

You're correct about incorrect settings, either your sequence settings or export settings.  But, you can fix the latter with the former.  Just choose 1920 x 1080, or whatever other 16x9 aspect ratio setting you prefer.

JeffInPoulsbo2 wrote:

Can I do something to lock the sound with the videos?

It's supposed to be automatic.  If sync is good in the Sequence, it should follow to your exports.  There's no export setting I can think of that would throw it out of sync.  However, there are some codecs that are better and worse than others, and can become damaged. 

My first thought would be to use an uncompressed audio source from ProTools (not mp3, but a WAV or AIF) in Pr.

If that doesn't fix it, try another codec for export - something uncompressed perhaps. 

If that's in-sync, then make your h.264 from it, either with AME, or another transcoder like QT Pro, MPEG Streamclip, Squeeze, etc.

• 2. Re: How do I Sync sound in a music video for youtube?
            JeffInPoulsbo2 Level 1

I am, in fact, the dufus who exported the MP3's out of PT. I am buildng a website to sell the music we're recording in the studio and .wav files don't seem to cut it as downloads. Since I was putting the video on youtube, I figured it would be compressed somehow anyway and used the MP3's I'd already set up for the website. But it is no biggie to swap it for .wav if you think that would make a difference.

Can I, after the fact, reset the sequence settings for a project to be consistent with my camera? If so where do I do that. I was cued on start up but now don't see where to change them. If not, and since I have only one camera, it seems I should at least figure out how to set up PrP so the next project is correct. I seem to remember many many choices at start up of a project regarding film presets but only one for a panasonic, which I chose. It apparently was 1280x1080, unless I missed something there too.

Since my goal is to get to youtube, is there a specific choice I should be making on export other than H. 264 and YoutubeSD? i.e., Can I put an uncomplressed file on YouTube?

BTW, thanks for the input. :-)

• 3. Re: How do I Sync sound in a music video for youtube?
              Jim Curtis Level 3

If your end product is going to be highly compressed, as YouTubes are, you'll end up with better quality if you can keep your compression upline as low as possible.  So, yes, export from PT to a WAV.  MP3s are highly compressed to begin with.  Make your master from PT as good as possible, then make your mp3s for the web site from that.

Recompression, while unavoidable in today's compressed capture and release formats, is to be avoided and minimized as much as possible through the post process, in order to retain a quality distro format.

You can copy the contents of any Pr sequence and paste them into another Pr sequence.  So, create a new sequence with the settings you really wanted in the first place, and paste into it.  You will probably have to do some scaling.  You can use the Clip>Video Options>Scale To Frame Size command on multiple selections, if that will make your life easier.

I believe, and I'm no expert on this, YouTube will accept just about any source, even uncompressed, and they'll do the compression for you.

There's a page you can find by googling "youtube upload specifications" to find out more than you need to know.

HTH,

Jim

• 4. Re: How do I Sync sound in a music video for youtube?
                JeffInPoulsbo2 Level 1

This is my camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=749852&Q=&is=REG&A=details

You can copy the contents of any Pr sequence and paste them into another Pr sequence.  So, create a new sequence with the settings you really wanted in the first place, and paste into it.  You will probably have to do some scaling.  You can use the Clip>Video Options>Scale To Frame Size command on multiple selections, if that will make your life easier.

So what settings do I choose for it for the new sequence? Is there a preset that covers it or do I need to make a custom one? AVCHD 1080p30 looks like the closest match to me. Is this correct?

jeff

• 5. Re: How do I Sync sound in a music video for youtube?
                  Jim Curtis Level 3

Generally, we don't care what camera you used.  The vitals are frame dimensions, Pixel Aspect Ratio, Field Order and Frame Rate.

The easiest methods to create a sequence that matches your material is to drag some footage onto the New Sequence icon, or select some clips in the Project and right-click for "New Sequence from Selection."

This isn't foolproof, as there are some bugs in Pr which create a "wrong" sequence from certain sources (I'm on Mac.).  But, it works most of the time; for me anyway.  For example, when I get XDCam HD sources, Pr creates an AVCHD Sequence when I use this method.  Not a big deal, as the "vitals" I listed above are correct.

You can also create a custom sequence however you want, but again, make sure the "vitals" match, and you should be good to go for most purposes.

• 6. Re: How do I Sync sound in a music video for youtube?
                    JeffInPoulsbo2 Level 1

I think that creating a new sequence with the correct settings and a PT .wav file for my soundtrack corrected the problem. Thanks for all the advice.