4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 11:57 AM by Dan Macy

Typing accented characters

Dan Macy Level 1

I am using InDesign CS5 on a Windows 7 system. How do I type accented characters? I know how to find the characters I want in the Glyph panel and insert them from there by double-clicking on them. But I want to be able to type Spanish (or other languages) and enter the special letters from the keyboard without having to go back and forth to the Glyph panel. Is there a way to do this?

I have used FrameMaker for years. It was relatively easy to type Esc+'+a to get an acute accented a. Can this be done just as easily in ID?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Typing accented characters
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I used to do localization in Frame, so I was fairly familiar with most of the tricks and workarounds we used to squeeze translations into Frame. However, I barely remember it at all. These days, most contemporary operating systems have multilingual support that is much, much better than what we used to have. You're generally expected to use your operating system's provision for non-English users. So no, InDesign doesn't have any special methods for entering accented glyphs. You could make them if you wanted - you could make a script that would bind a particular keyboard shortcut to a particular accented character - but there isn't any provision for doing so natively in ID. (Or in any contemporary app that I can think of, barring Microsoft Office which has retained some of its legacy key combos for users of European languages like Spanish or French.)

• 2. Re: Typing accented characters
            David W. Goodrich Level 3

Take a look at Peter Kahrel's Compose javascript to see if it can do what you want.

David

• 3. Re: Typing accented characters
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

I second David on that. It's possible to set up your keyboard to be able to enter *some* accented characters (it depends on what language you set it to), but in practice I could live without suddenly having to press " twice to get a single " (a typical key combo of that kind is to press first " then a to get ä).

I have been using Compose for so long that I can't even be bothered to memorize the (very few) characters that you *can* enter natively with OS X. I also expanded it to include yet even *more* characters -- I do need quite a lot of these, in a typical day of multi-linguistic work. Of course I bound the script to a custom key combo, ready to be called up.

If Compose is not Your Cup Of Tea (i.e., quite some. ore than you wanted), search this forum for One-Character Scripts. Those are extremely simple scripts that do nothing but inserting one character of your choice. You can bind these scripts to a hotkey as well. So in your case you could have one that inserts ñ, bound to Ctrl+N, and another one that inserts ś bound to Ctrl+S. (Hmm -- perhaps *not* that particular combo -- but you get the idea.)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Typing accented characters
                Dan Macy Level 1

Thank you for your helpful responses. It looks like Compose will do what I want.