3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 8:20 PM by David Zeno

Mercury Playbak Engine and GTX 470?

Mandalore _65

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit of a noob here, but i've been trying to optimize my experience with Premiere CS5. I have an intel i7-950 @3.07GHz with 6GB of RAM. I also have a GTX 470 with 1.25GB of RAM. I'm a bit miffed at my slow render times. When rendering, my ram fills up to the max (planning to get more) and my cpu is working at a mid to high level across the cores. I feel like my gpu should be helping out a bit more with the load, and I wanted to enable the CUDA cores for the mercury playback engine. I have two questions, though. First, how much is this going to help me with render times? And second, supposedly after the hack i'm supposed to change the General setting from Mercury Playback Software Only to Mercury Playback With GPU Acceleration. However, I haven't done the hack yet but I already seem to have the GPU acceleration selected. Does this mean my card is just being used without CUDA? Just want a bit of clarification. Thank you all in advance,

M65

• 1. Re: Mercury Playbak Engine and GTX 470?
          Powered by Design Level 4

The GTX 470 is on the list of approved cards and thus does not need the hack to enable hardware MPE.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/system-requirements-premiere-pro.html#ma in_Adobe_Premiere_Pro_CS5_system_requirements

GLenn

• 2. Re: Mercury Playbak Engine and GTX 470?
            Mandalore _65 Level 1

Thank you so much, I guess it must have been updated since I last checked it.

• 3. Re: Mercury Playbak Engine and GTX 470?
              David Zeno Level 1

I have the 470.  First off ... no hack is needed .... it's an officially supported card.

Remove the card, put your old card back in and look carefully at your time line, it will be RED. ( when there is footage on it )

Now, put your new 470 in, and look at your time line, MAGIC ! .... your timeline is now YELLOW.

Note - your video card will NOT make your rendering ( writing of your output video file ) any faster, it won't help in that area, your cpu is the only thing that does this.

However - you're boat is a lot faster than mine, I have the same video card you have, have 8 gigs of ram ( 400 mhz - super slow ) and only a quad cored Intel Q9450 card ( top of the line in its time ) ( but now it's an old chip, and I'm ready to upgrade )

Your render times must be blazing compared to my render times ! ... of that I'm sure.

As for video cards, I got really excited about the upcoming Nvidia 680 card, but tonight I have been reading on many sites that the big brother to the 680 is coming out,

making the 680 a "slow" card if you can call it that.  Yikes.  http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12673/

I made the mistake of typing only this phrase into Google "gk110" and bingo, you get to drooling rather quickly.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1503034&mpage=1

512-bit DDR ... wow, and a mind blowing 2304 CUDA cores. 

The 470 is an amazing card, I love it, it changed my life. 

P.S. --- something very important that somebody helped me with ...... your GTX 470 will NOT work unless you upgrade to at least version 5.02 of Premiere.  Anything earlier than this, and the

Mercury Engine does NOT work ! ..... I had installed my new GTX 470 and it didn't work as I thought it should, I posted here, and bingo somebody helped me with the version upgrade info,

and that was it, I upgraded and I was in business. 

The GTX 470 card are magic because 99% of the time, your time line is rendrered for you and you can play your whole time line in real time.  A few transisitions and effects need to be rendered

but... this card will change the way you work, you'll save so much time !

Dave.

Mandalore _65 wrote:

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit of a noob here, but i've been trying to optimize my experience with Premiere CS5. I have an intel i7-950 @3.07GHz with 6GB of RAM. I also have a GTX 470 with 1.25GB of RAM. I'm a bit miffed at my slow render times. When rendering, my ram fills up to the max (planning to get more) and my cpu is working at a mid to high level across the cores. I feel like my gpu should be helping out a bit more with the load, and I wanted to enable the CUDA cores for the mercury playback engine. I have two questions, though. First, how much is this going to help me with render times? And second, supposedly after the hack i'm supposed to change the General setting from Mercury Playback Software Only to Mercury Playback With GPU Acceleration. However, I haven't done the hack yet but I already seem to have the GPU acceleration selected. Does this mean my card is just being used without CUDA? Just want a bit of clarification. Thank you all in advance,

M65