8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 11:28 PM by Mylenium

Preview: why slow with nothing edited?

MDenver

I'm running a trial of After Effects, to see what the product can mean for my business. I run an Intel Quad core with 8GB of RAM.

I have an empty 1280x720 29.7fps composition and no matter which 1280x720 video I import with different codecs, the preview (with the "play button" and not the "ram preview" button) always seem to be around 14-19fps (message: "NOT realtime") and that is without doing anything with the video (video placed in composite). Why do I have such low frame rates already when all it has to do is play the original video? I can't imagine what the frame rates will be if I actually start editing these files.

What am I missing here? I assume it's still filling the cache for the ram preview, but why does it take so long with nothing edited? Is there a way to avoid this, maybe by converting the video to a new format that AE manages to cache faster? I don't have this problem with a similar  product (demo) like HitFilm, even with some edits. Now don't get me wrong, I prefer to use AE but I still don't get this ram preview thing. In HitFilm I can add 3D effects and all kind of other stuff and the preview (video of same size) plays smoothly and with sound (in some cases a lower resolution is required).

I can understand that at some point you're going to reach the limit what you can preview realtime with the hardware available so that ram preview is necessary, but not when I haven't even done anything to the video.

Confused...sigh

• 1. Re: Preview: why slow with nothing edited?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          What am I missing here?

That AE is not a hardware accelerated editing app, plain and simple. Almost nothing in AE is realtime and you'll just have to get used to it. This has nothing to do with caching or whatever, it's simply AE decoding the footage, expanding it to full RGB and displaying it. Unlike video editing apps it doesn't do any fancy overlay drawing or such...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Preview: why slow with nothing edited?
            MDenver Level 1

Yes, I have to get used to Adobe's sometimes awkward way of doing things and trust me....as a heavy user of other Adobe applications I know all about it. I find it laughable that anno 2012 with a Quad Core CPU on an 8GB system with a 64 bit OS I can play a video with several effects (some of which are 3D) in a 32 bit HitFilm with a real-time preview, but I can't even play a single unedited(!) video with a lower resolution inside a composition of AE in 64 bit in real-time. But then again I shouldn't be suprised considering Adobe's bad reputation when it comes to application performance.

Oh well, I guess I have to get used to it by changing my workflow towards constant scrubbing instead of live previews, since I still prefer AE over the competition.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Preview: why slow with nothing edited?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

MDenver wrote:

I find it laughable that anno 2012 with a Quad Core CPU on an 8GB system with a 64 bit OS I can play a video with several effects (some of which are 3D) in a 32 bit HitFilm with a real-time preview, but I can't even play a single unedited(!) video with a lower resolution inside a composition of AE in 64 bit in real-time.

If After Effects was designed to play things, you might have a point.  But it isn't. 

It was never designed to be an editing application, it doesn't perform like an editing application, and it isn't used like an editing application.  From Day One it was always intended to be an application that modifies, composites and animates.  It's assumed that you will use it for that purpose.  It's assumed you will do things far more complex than an editing application can do.

Thus, realtime playback was never the Holy Grail for After Effects software engineers.  It's a different mindset.  You simply suck it up and get used to it eventually.

• 4. Re: Preview: why slow with nothing edited?
                bogiesan Level 4

MDenver wrote:

I don't have this problem with a similar  product (demo) like HitFilm, even with some edits. Now don't get me wrong, I prefer to use AE but I still don't get this ram preview thing. In HitFilm I can add 3D effects and all kind of other stuff and the preview (video of same size) plays smoothly and with sound (in some cases a lower resolution is required).

While we're not apologists for Adobe around here, we longtime forum participants have a difficult time with statements like yours. If HitFilm (never heard of it myself) does things better than AE, you must use it for those things. Since you're only experimenting with the trial of AE, you now know you do not need to spend the money. You just saved yourself some serious cash.

Offering feedback to Adobe might make you feel better, especially if you ahve some valuable insights into the engineering behind the code (which I, gratefully, do not pretend to possess) but AE is what it is and does what it does and most of us like it that way.

• 5. Re: Preview: why slow with nothing edited?
                  MDenver Level 1

"If HitFilm (never heard of it myself) does things better than AE, you must use it for those things."

What's the point of me writing what I have on my mind, when you refuse to read it? I quote: "Now don't get me wrong, I prefer to use AE"

Where did I claim that it's a better product? All I pointed out that it can render a live preview, heck even with the many 3D effects that the standard AE even lacks. But don't get your hopes up, Adobe won't improve live preview, because their obedient customers continue to inform newcomers with: "It is the way it is, live with it" as you can see by reading this thread.

• 6. Re: Preview: why slow with nothing edited?
                    bogiesan Level 4

There are hundreds of video and illustration apps I have never heard of; many more video devices, too, like cameras. I don't have the time to follow every development in this industry. I know After Effecs, though.

Here's your statement: > "I don't have this problem with a similar  product (demo) like HitFilm, even with some edits. Now don't get me wrong, I prefer to use AE but I still don't get this ram preview thing. In HitFilm I can add 3D effects and all kind of other stuff and the preview (video of same size) plays smoothly and with sound (in some cases a lower resolution is required).>

You seem to be implying here that this app is superior to AE for some functions. Since I have no experience with it, I bow to your superior knowledge and I encourage you to use the tools you need to accompolish your compositing tasks.

But you also seem to have a chip on your shoulder and I'm sorry you have chosen to deliberately misunderstand my statement which, I believe, acknowleges your predicament and congratulates you honestly for discovering the limitations of After Effects before you spend big money on the application.

> I'm running a trial of After Effects, to see what the product can mean for my business. <

I've reported your post to the forum admins as unacceptably antisocial and equally ungrateful.

Message was edited by: bogiesan

• 7. Re: Preview: why slow with nothing edited?
                      Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Please keep this professional and polite, or we'll lock the thread. This is a forum for discussion of Adobe software, so while we have no problem with users comparing it with third-party applications that they may be used to, subject to libel, that doesn't extend permission to attack fellow users.

MDenver - nobody is forcing you to use After Effects, so if you prefer another application that's entirely your decision. Don't however assume that other forum users, especially on an Adobe website, will agree with your arguments. AE does things a certain way not because Adobe wants to make your life miserable, but because it's the best option given the way AE is designed to work in a professional environment.

• 8. Re: Preview: why slow with nothing edited?
                        Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Oooh yeah. I'm amazed how such a trivial thread can spin out of control. And people always blame me for not being nice...

Mylenium